Noodler's Black Swan In Australian Roses

shaylenwilliams

Reviewed along side the Noodler's Flex Pen, with more pictures HERE.

From what I gather, the intent with this ink was to shade like crazy, and that it does. This ink goes from a very dark, almost black color, to dark purple, then burgundy, then mauve. The effects with the Noodler's Flex pen are just epic. On the really dark, wet strokes, the ink does feather just a bit (even on Rhodia), but you don't really notice it unless you're examining very closely. This ink is not waterproof and the drying time is pretty long when very wet (we're talking minutes). In fact, I had written a card to my mother, and certain spots wouldn't dry at all. I had to carefully blot them with some cheap copy paper. Even with the slight "downfalls" of this ink, it is gorgeous, and I intend to purchase a full bottle (I initially only got a sample).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TQkt7pn8WNI/AAAAAAAAAGo/mJIP1LZnXcs/s1600/NoodlersFlexandBlackSwan.jpg

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• shaylenwilliams

• JimB

• P.A.R.

I adore both this ink and this pen, too! I don't have mine paired together yet, though. My BSIAR is in an Esterbrook 9788. I saw at the end of your blog post that you also put Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite in your other Noodler's flex pen; that's what I did with mine, and I'm sooooo in love! The gold flecks actually come out in the 1670 when used in the flex pen.

Three hundred cheers to Noodler's for producing a long-overdue affordable flex-nib fountain pen!

The ink looks awesome! Thanks for reviewing it too...

I'm still waiting for mine.. :( Mail is really slow this silly season.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks for the great review. As soon as Brian and Rachel get some more of these pens in, I think I'll grab one.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought a sample and liked it; thought it was just similar to Diamine Oxblood, but your examples show me the potentials for using it in a flex pen. As soon as my (burgundy, of course!) Eversharp 713 runs dry of Oxblood, I'll be loading it with BSIAR. Thanks for a great review.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I did get a sample, and while it's a nice color, I'm a bit disappointed that I don't see a halo effect.

Wonder whether it's the ink, the nib, or the paper.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I see lots of shading, which I think is the selling point for this ink, but I agree, there is no halo effect for me either. Then again, I wasn't looking for it.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

It does shade well! But I was all, 'Ooo, shiny, pretty!' when the halo was demonstrated in the video.

In its color, and the way I tested it, BSIAR isn't all that different from J Herbin Poussiere de Lune.

I'm happy with the sample but unsure about buying a bottle.

It does shade well! But I was all, 'Ooo, shiny, pretty!' when the halo was demonstrated in the video.

In its color, and the way I tested it, BSIAR isn't all that different from J Herbin Poussiere de Lune.

Poussiere de Lune must vary wildly between batches, or not age gracefully or something... because mine is NOT burgundy AT ALL. I'd still call BSIAR a purple is pressed for a simple label, but it is FAR more burgundy than PdL- which I find to be a pretty true, albeit "dusty" purple. I'd even say mine leans closer to blue than red.

Regarding the "halo"- I'm glad it isn't there personally. The "halo" of Blue Nose Bear just equals feathering in my book. BSIAR shades really nicely, especially in a wet flex pen, but it is not apt to feather. In some pens, BSIAR doesn't shade as much, so the way this ink looks REALLY depends on what pen it is in.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Poussiere de Lune must vary wildly between batches, or not age gracefully or something... because mine is NOT burgundy AT ALL. I'd still call BSIAR a purple is pressed for a simple label, but it is FAR more burgundy than PdL- which I find to be a pretty true, albeit "dusty" purple. I'd even say mine leans closer to blue than red.

Regarding the "halo"- I'm glad it isn't there personally. The "halo" of Blue Nose Bear just equals feathering in my book. BSIAR shades really nicely, especially in a wet flex pen, but it is not apt to feather. In some pens, BSIAR doesn't shade as much, so the way this ink looks REALLY depends on what pen it is in.

I just tested Blue Nose Bear! And it did feather like crazy---so I guess it 'halos.'

Even with that feathering I love the color.

BSIAR is what PdeL looks like in the bottle. For whatever reason PdeL looks very different written out in any sort of pen or brush.

That's a very nice ink from Noodler's. I think I will go for this ink. Thanks for the review.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

• 3 months later...

If anyone can sell a product or letter writing it's you. :)

I have the BS in my cart but haven't hit buy...and now I probably will do it straight away. I am not however keen on the Noodler's flexies, except the newer Ahab.

Thank, Green Velvet.

Zoe

I adore both this ink and this pen, too! I don't have mine paired together yet, though. My BSIAR is in an Esterbrook 9788. I saw at the end of your blog post that you also put Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite in your other Noodler's flex pen; that's what I did with mine, and I'm sooooo in love! The gold flecks actually come out in the 1670 when used in the flex pen.

Three hundred cheers to Noodler's for producing a long-overdue affordable flex-nib fountain pen!

This ink was at the bottom of my Christmas list along with three other Noodler's inks (which I got :thumbup: .) I may have to get some at the same time when get the upcoming Konrad and some of the better piston seals from the Goulets.

Edited by P.A.R.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I bought this ink a while back and thought it was ok (in my regular pens). Inked up my Delta Titanio with flex nib, and fell in love cloud9.gif I agree that a flex nib seems to bring out the best in this ink.

Tamara