Mont Blanc 147

Halden

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5201/5221943971_8fd52ec86b.jpg

147 by haldenjohnson, on Flickr

Mont Blanc is an icon. Mont Blanc is a name that even people who are not pen geeks know, and as a pen geek I thought I should familiarize myself with this renowned pen maker (among other luxury items). Luckily, I have a friend that was kind enough to lend me his 147 so that I could experience a Mont Blanc for myself.

The official Mont Blanc description of the pen is:

Meisterstück Le Grand Traveller

Cartridge fountain pen, 14 K gold nib with rhodium-plated inlay, barrel and cap made of black precious resin inlaid with Montblanc emblem, gold-plated clip, rings and cartridge filling system, travel case

I have no delusions that the precious resin is simply some good quality acrylic but that does not deter from the fact that this pen is a beauty. The nib is gorgeous two tone and the gold accents are perfect. The classic cigar shape allows the pen to fall naturally into ones hand and the weight in balance make it feel like it is floating.

The writing experience with the 147 was a treat. The nib was smooth and laid a consistent, wet line of ink. The only con I can really give this pen is the limitation of being a cartridge only pen and of course the price is beyond my means.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5246/5221943309_ef72fac285.jpg

Writing sample by haldenjohnson, on Flickr

To change the cartridge you unscrew the blind cap and remove the inner cartridge mount. The mount has room for a second cartridge which is nice feature. The mount itself is also nice to look at and you can tell that at this price point you are really paying for fit and finish.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/5222542836_7c9f94753a.jpg

147 by haldenjohnson, on Flickr

I realize that you can get an equally good writing experience from some pens at much lower price points but the same can be said of buying a Mercedes instead of a Toyota, both cars will get you there but one is an experience. I really enjoyed the pen and would definitely buy a 146 or 149 to avoid the cartridges but that is a long way away.

First Impressions (10/10)

You cant help but admire it right away.

Appearance (10/10)

This is a classic look and cannot be faulted.

Design/Size/Weight (8/10)

The cigar shaped pen is classic. Some prefer the larger size and weight of the 149.

Nib (10/10)

Beautiful two tone 14K.

Filling System (5/10)

The only fault of the pen is the cartridge fill.

Cost and Value (NA)

I cannot fairly assess this as I did not pay for it.

Conclusion (8.6/10)

This pen offers classic beauty and styling, it writes beautifully and its only major flaw is the filling system.

This review on my blog.

Edited by Halden

In Ottawa? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Alan

• Halden

• carlosjaviercontreras

• freewheelingvagabond

Thanks for the review. Despite their alleged 'bling' factor, I've heard that Mont Blanc nibs are just great. Wish to have a Mont Blanc sometime. This looks a nice pen.

Regards,

Anindya.

Thanks Halden for the nice review. That 147 seems to have a wonderfully wet M nib. Was it adjusted or it came like that from the factory?

Mi blog "Mis Plumas Fuente" contiene evaluaciones en lengua Castellana, muestras de escritura y fotografías originales de las plumas en mi colección.

Visítenos en http://misplumasfuente.wordpress.com/

I own one of these pens and the reviewer did an excellent job of capturing the pros/cons of the 147. One other observation sometimes I have a little difficulty getting the ink to flow when I do a color change. Again, not a real big deal, but something I have never experienced with piston or converter pens.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

- Milton Friedman

I would prefer a piston filler if I had only 1 choice, but I think having a cart only pen for travelling makes a lot of sense, and I hope to add a 147 to my stable. Thanks for the review.

Good review.I own 147 and it is a fact that cartridge does have limitation of ink and as it being medium tip with wet flow the ink needs topping up quite frequently.But without any doubt Great pen,well balanced and a pleasure to own and write.

Thanks.

I own one of these pens and the reviewer did an excellent job of capturing the pros/cons of the 147. One other observation sometimes I have a little difficulty getting the ink to flow when I do a color change. Again, not a real big deal, but something I have never experienced with piston or converter pens.

Hello there!

I have a burgundy 147 with a fine nib, and I shake the nib end--like shaking a thermometer--into a tissue wrapped around the nib to get flow started. I like the fact that the 147 is a dedicated, cartridge-only fountain pen. Traveling with two cartridges loaded in the pen is usually plenty of ink for several journal entries while on vacation.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

With the reaction to MB pens on one hand, and the reaction to cartridges on the other, you have written a very balanced review.

Loving the former (in certain models) and having abandoned the latter, does the 'drawer' that the cartidges go into slide smoothly?

I've always thought that this system (and the similar Omas) would be prone to damage and misalignment.

Thanks again,

gary

Great review. I like the cartridge fill better than you do. It is very convenient when traveling to carry extra cartridges in the MB leather case made for this pen. I might add that my MB 147 was not a good writer until tweaked by Mr. Binder. It is now a very responsive and reliable writer.

Awesome review!I own the MontBlanc Meisterstuck 149 with a lovely EF nib which my dad was so generous enough to give to me its my gem, its the best pen i currently own.

...does the 'drawer' that the cartidges go into slide smoothly?

I've always thought that this system (and the similar Omas) would be prone to damage and misalignment.

Thanks again,

gary

Gary,

It is a very smooth operation in both the MB147 and the OMAS cartridge-only Arte d'Italiana Milord pen (I own both). Misalignment does not seem possible. My wife has a Montblanc Boheme which is similar, and it works very well. Thorough cleaning is a minor challenge, however, in this type of pen. I wish Montblanc had adopted OMAS' idea. The OMAS cartridge-only pen has a threaded nib section that unscrews from the barrel, and a converter can be attached to the feed nipple for a thorough flushing.

Montblanc makes available a special cleaning unit filled with some gentle cleaning solution for the Boheme, but, apparently, Montblanc does not recommend using that eye-dropper-like unit with the 147. Does anyone know why it should not be used with the 147?

I refilled the Boheme cleaning "eye-dropper" with distilled water and carefully flushed my 147 with no ill effects. I did not, however, force the unit onto the 147 feed nipple, but, simply, placed it in contact with it and flushed out the water.

For the 147, Montblanc recommends running water over the nib, but that does not do a thorough job of cleaning. Another approach would be to leave the nib in a cup of water overnight.

Does anyone have other tips for cleaning the MB 147?

/Robert

edited for a typo--probably others!

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 6 years later...

Nice review of a lovely fountain pen but I'm disappointed that it has been marked down because it is a cartridge only pen. That's the point of this pen - it's called a Traveller and it's designed specifically as cartridge only with the traveller in mind. If you want a different filling system you go for the 146.

I have two of these pens, one in black and the other in the delightful burgundy colour. I'm more than happy to take one of these pens on a plane with me - they've never let me down.