Diamine Graphite

shaylenwilliams

This is the most "boring" ink I have. For some reason, though, I like it! Perhaps it's non-conformist nature is what entices me. It isn't black, but it's not a "color". Ooohhh, the mystery! A pen-friend wrote me with this ink, and well, I just fell in love! I purchased a bottle, but apparently Diamine had some issues with early batches of it. I got an early bottle. The suspension wasn't right, and my ink had separated into oily looking stuff and pigment, gross! So, my pen friend had sent me a sample, and that is what I used for this review.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TPLiH7x587I/AAAAAAAAAE4/SqJeycUUVyU/s1600/DiamineGraphite.jpg

There's really not much to say about grey, other than I spell it with an "e" instead of an "a", because I like they way it looks better. Grey is, well, grey. This particular shade is dark enough to read, but not dark enough to be confused with black. That's what I like about it. At my desk, at night (which is when I am awake), it has just a HINT of green to it. That doesn't show up in this scan at all, so I am assuming it is just the lighting, and not the ink. The shading is pretty nice, and dry time isn't too bad. This ink did seem a little dry in my Medium-nibbed Safari, but I think it had kind of worked itself out with more use. The color seems to have darkened just a bit too.

I really like this ink, but since my bottle was wonky, I think I am going to get Noodler's Lexington Gray as an exchange. I love this ink, but I could do with just a shade or two darker. As the rain has been frequenting Cincinnati, I am also finding that I need to break down and get a waterproof ink.

*I would like to sincerely thank fellow FPN'er and pen-pal tawanda for giving me this sample!*

Shay.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• lovemy51

• tawanda

• ballboy

Thanks Shay!

And I'm glad you, too, can see the greenish tinge to this ink. I really think it is a good replacement for the discontinued BRG. Your scan showsup the similarities well, esp the q-tip (or as we in the UK call 'em) cotton bud smudge.

I love this ink, but then I love big nibs, dry writers and dry ink!

The notebook that I am currently using for a journal has grey lines for ruling. I really like the way this ink looks on it. It's very monotone, and perhaps drab, but it is such an interesting effect! Once I get the Noodler's Lex Gray, I'll try to get a comparison up of the two of them.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Finally!!! Someone reviewed this ink! Thank you very much! I like it, and I can't wait to receive my bottle of this ink.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Finally!!! Someone reviewed this ink! Thank you very much! I like it, and I can't wait to receive my bottle of this ink.

lol, no problem! It is very nice, I don't think you will be disappointed!

The Poor Connoisseurs

I think its darker than Lex grey and PRs Grey Flannel, and it's definitely greener than either of them, too!

Greetings Shay,

Thanks for the review; I've been thinking about trying a grey ink. Diamine Graphite may be a good one to start with- and what is more- I like Diamine inks.

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

On my monitor, this ink looks like a very neutral gray. I can see a hint of green only if I imagine it.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Hello Shay,

Great review. By any chance, have you tried Diamine Grey? If so, I am curious as to how it compares to Diamine Graphite.

Thanks,

Mike

inka binka

bottle of ink

the cork fell out

and you stink

Hello Shay,

Great review. By any chance, have you tried Diamine Grey? If so, I am curious as to how it compares to Diamine Graphite.

Thanks,

Mike

I have not. From what I have seen of it online, I think Diamine Grey may be a little lighter.

The Poor Connoisseurs

On my monitor, this ink looks like a very neutral gray. I can see a hint of green only if I imagine it.

I calibrized my screen using the tool linked in the Goulet Pens swab shop and the hint of green shows for me now.

Why did I only see this AFTER I placed an ink order with Goulet? :gaah: Now I have to start another wish list. :bonk:

thx for the review, Shay!

and yes, it does have a lot of that green tone!!! in my opinion, it does flow and lube very well. i'm suprised you find it dry. thx again for the review!

Hello Shay,

Thanks,

Mike

hello. i find the diamine grey lighter than the graphite and less of the green tone.

Why did I only see this AFTER I placed an ink order with Goulet? :gaah: Now I have to start another wish list. :bonk:

Haha, sorry :rolleyes: That's okay, I'm waiting to get more of it in anyway cuz I'm all out. Hopefully it'll just be a couple of days before I get it. I am a fan of this color, it looks just like I've written with a pencil!! Haha, funny that I like an ink that looks like a pencil, I could just use a pencil :eureka: But I don't have any 1.5mm cursive italic pencils!

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

i find the diamine grey lighter than the graphite and less of the green tone.

Diamine Grey doesn't have a green tone. However, I don't think it's (substantially) lighter than the scan of Diamine Graphite.

Edited by Astroix

i find the diamine grey lighter than the graphite and less of the green tone.

Diamine Grey doesn't have a green tone. However, I don't think it's (substantially) lighter than the scan of Diamine Graphite.

Haha, sorry :rolleyes: That's okay, I'm waiting to get more of it in anyway cuz I'm all out. Hopefully it'll just be a couple of days before I get it. I am a fan of this color, it looks just like I've written with a pencil!! Haha, funny that I like an ink that looks like a pencil, I could just use a pencil :eureka: But I don't have any 1.5mm cursive italic pencils!

Hello Brian,

Someone somewhere stated that Diamine Grey didn't have any shading and looked like writing in pencil as well. I would be interested in your thoughts on Diamine Grey and how it compares to Diamine Graphite.

Thanks,

Mike

inka binka

bottle of ink

the cork fell out

and you stink