Danitrio Flexy Nib Advice Please !

rammerman

Hi,

I am about to buy a flexy Danitrio Takumi pen and would like advice on which Fine nib to choose. I do write fairly small and like pens with a reasonable flow.

I do not like nibs that are a bit scratchy. I would like to try an Flexy EEF or an EF but want expert advice from fellow FPN members of their experiences with these nibs.

BTW: I have a Danitrio flexy medium C/C pen which i like but it is slightly on the dry side but with excellent line variation. Are the EEF or EF nibs similar?.

Edited by rammerman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rammerman

• Jopen

• alvarez57

• jde

I wish I could advise you, but my Danitrio flexy nibs are also medium. At best, if you have used an EEF before and you were happy, you'll probably be ok. For me, I hesitate to go to an F, let alone and EF or EEF. I'm pretty happy with western medium nibs.

My real advice is to ask Kevin for his advice. That's the guy who knows Danitrio pens.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

The advantage of using a finer (thinner) nib when the nib is flex is that this way you can get more line variation. And a flex nib shouldn't be dry; if it is, it might skip/make railroads when the tines spread open. And if it is wet enough as it should, the generous flow of ink should lubricate it and help to avoid scratchiness. I assume you checked that scratchiness is not due to tine misalignment. Hope this helps; my apologies if it make things more confuse :mellow::unsure:

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

I am so not a flexy person and hesitate to respond... yet I have the EEF flex nib. For me, it is not dry at all with Diamine, PR and Iroshizuki ink. It tends to dry with Herbin inks. The nib is not scratchy but it is toothy. It writes without mention on good paper (eg, Clairfontaine) but does not like my Staples Bagasse notepads. I like this nib a great deal for its fine-ness yet would like to try a different nib in my 2nd Danitrio.

The thing is, if you're buying from Kevin, he'll swap the nib if you don't like it.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I have a flexy EF that's smooth with great feedback. I am going for the EEF as my next Danitrio, it would be a different experience~~

Railroads do occur but that's understandable since the ink entrance hole is so small, unlike the vintage Waterman [correction: lever] fillers.

Edited by Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Thanks a lot for your advice fellow FPN 'ers.:notworthy1:

And a special thanks to Kevin for his write samples. I put this post up as i did not want to keep asking kevin. I have already sent him numerous email enquiring about my next Danitrio purchase.:embarrassed_smile:

Maybe this would help :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/IMG_4652.jpg

Best

Kevin

The below sample in purple ink writing is the Fine Danitrio nib. Hope this helps. The left lower sample (Wahl pen) is an extra fine (?) #2.

http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/44957/2452930980105226730S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I highly recommend the Danitrio EEF Flexy Nib.

You won't be disappointed.

The EF is not too bad either.

The EEF was only available to us just recently.

I wish I could exchange a couple of my EF to the EEF.

Writing samples for your perusal.

I highly recommend the Danitrio EEF Flexy Nib.

You won't be disappointed.

The EF is not too bad either.

The EEF was only available to us just recently.

I wish I could exchange a couple of my EF to the EEF.

Writing samples for your perusal.

Hi Ernest,

I did see some of your beautiful pics of the fellowship pen. They r great!!

What does "Tooth"" mean?

And is it fair to say that the Fine flexy has a bit more flex than the EF and the EEF?

Ram

Beautiful handwriting samples!!!

And many thanks for the useful comparison.

My Danitrio F-soft/flexy is in the hands of USPS Express (still in transit after 7 days!!!)

I haven't quite told winedoc I sprung my nib on my Densho having had it less than a week or two and had to send it to Mike. I write with a light hand but was testing the limits of the flexiness (a stupid thing to do ... should have learnt after wrecking a Homo Sapiens nib) :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Beautiful handwriting samples!!!

And many thanks for the useful comparison.

My Danitrio F-soft/flexy is in the hands of USPS Express (still in transit after 7 days!!!)

I haven't quite told winedoc I sprung my nib on my Densho having had it less than a week or two and had to send it to Mike. I write with a light hand but was testing the limits of the flexiness (a stupid thing to do ... should have learnt after wrecking a Homo Sapiens nib) :embarrassed_smile:

Absolutely beautiful samples Ernest and Sonia Alvarez. I am being drawn to a Fine nib after comparing Kevins, Ernest & sonia's samples. The Fine nib stick out to me. Looks like there is a lot more potential for line variation. Any comments?:eureka:

BTW Sonia tats a stunning Danitrio :notworthy1::puddle:

The Fine nib stick out to me. Looks like there is a lot more potential for line variation. Any comments?:eureka:

Potential IMHO is somewhat limited. Like Ernest mentioned above, these are not like vintage Waterman's where you can push them hard. You push these Danitrio's hard, they'll definitely be heading to one of the fountain pen spas. These Danitrio nibs do give you line variations but only to a certain extent, as they're not designed for extreme flexibility (like all modern nibs).

**I've provided my own flexy EF example, please disregard the content as I was scribbling during working hours.**

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5197346788_6a2c80b769_b.jpg

Edited by Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

These are all 18kt nibs and recently I did sent an flexy EEF to John Mottishaw and he too was surprised how 18kt nibs can be these flexy.... sure, they are NOT vintage flex, but more flexy than most modern nibs.

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Kevin: Didn't DaniTrio also have a 24kt flexible nib (the "Gojira" or "Sumo" model)? You should send that to John to really surprise him.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Kevin: Didn't DaniTrio also have a 24kt flexible nib (the "Gojira" or "Sumo" model)? You should send that to John to really surprise him.

The 24k nibs are on the Yokozuna model. The 24k nibs are not made by Bock but made by an 'undisclosed' Japanese company.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The 24k nibs are on the Yokozuna model. The 24k nibs are not made by Bock but made by an 'undisclosed' Japanese company.

I have a danitrio medium flexy and also an OMAS emotica in fine titanium and i would compare the 2 nibs to be very similar. Nice line variation. May be i shall do a write sample comparison later tomorrow. But i agree that one should not compare it to the vintage nibs that can handle a lot more pressure.

Ram

I'm going to throw this out there - I find both EF and EEF to be scratchy. They're nice nibs but the tooth stops me from writing with them frequently.

I'm probably a bit heavy handed with my pens but you really should try before you buy - I don't think you're going to really know if they will work for you unless you write with them. If you live in Houston, you can come try mine out! I wish people would put their locations on their profile!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77