Nakaya Cigar

laser8

So, received this one a week or so ago, used it for some time and think can throw a review. Again, sorry for the pics, but they are the best my Blackberry can do and I do not own a proper camera.

+++

Why Nakaya? I'm inclined towards Japanese things in general, but when I saw what the Nakaya gentlemen where producing, I had no doubts I had to have one.

It took me some time to decide what exactly I wanted, due to the vast number of choices available, but must say I am very pleased with the final product. It's a Cigar (meaning no clip) portable (meaning medium size by Nakaya standard) kuro-tamenuri (urushi lacquered, red below, black coating on the top). I had a small maki-e painted on the barrel which will not be shown in my pictures below.

Enough small talk, let's pass to the main dish:

Appearance & Design (10-10)

The case itself is a nice piece, elegant, very light. When you open it, you see the pen in its kimono and all the other bits I ordered (the pen pillow, the converter, cartridges etc.. I heard a lot of praise for the kimono, but it's really not worth mentioning. It would be better for Nakaya not to include it at all as it looks and feels cheap, and detracts points from the first impression of the whole package. The pen itself looks, and is, a work of art.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1373/img00127201011191058.jpg

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/9430/img00126201011100912.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7752/img00128201011191059.jpg

Construction & Quality (10-10)

I can't find any flaws. The cap screws on perfectly, there are no visible tolerances, nothing rattles or feels unproperly mounted or fitted. The fit&finish is so good that it is impossible to see by naked eye where the nib section is screwed on to the barrel.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4201/img00129201011191101.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7255/img00134201011191103.jpg

Weight & Dimensions (8.5-10)

The medium size is fine with me, and I have big hands. Speaking of weight, I would be happier if it was heavier. It is really a light pen.

Nib & Performance (9.5-10)

This is the top of anything I ever used for writing. It is so smooth, incredible.

The nib is a medium elastic (there's some springyness in it, but no flex). It writes pretty wet with the Platinum blue-black it came with, and pretty wide too for what I understand a Japanese medium width should be. The Platinum cartridge is huge so I can't compare the performance with other inks yet. I am planning to fill her with Asa-gao as soon as the cartridge gets empty.

As for the general feeling when writing, it feels totally natural. Except for the pen being too light.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5220/img00139201011191117.jpg

That's a pic of the Nakaya/Platinum blue-black and of the Pilot 742 FA with the Iroshizuku. On the 80g moleskine paper, the Iroshizuku feathers a bit, while the Platinum not

Filling System & Maintenance (9-10)

Platinum cartridges - they're huge, but I do not like the inks the come filled with. Converter - if you compare it with the Con-70, it is really tiny. I also got the adapter for standard cartridges.

Basically, a wide range of options, but since I plan to use it mostly with the converter, a bigger one would have been a better pair with the pen.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6923/img00138201011191106.jpg

Cost & Value (10-10)

It is an expensive pen, but IMHO it is worth every cent I paid for.

Conclusion (57-60)

Beautiful looks, very good nib, outstanding quality. Ok, it is a bit on the light side for my taste, the converter has a small capacity, I could have gone for a finer nib, the pouch could have stayed at the warehouse, but those are just details that can't dent the qualities of the pen itself.

A few comparison shots with the 742 FA, just because.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3770/img00135201011191104.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5299/img00136201011191105.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6906/img00137201011191105.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SignalboxCat

• laser8

• SamCapote

• pavoni

Thanks for your review. That is a gorgeous pen! I am saving up for one myself.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Very slick design - it reminds me a bit of a Sailor King of Pens.

Where can one buy or order these? I can find only one Nakaya pen on Ebay.

Thanks,

M.

Respectfully disagreeing since 1978.

I got one of these from Nibs.com in a two tone nib. I love everything about it.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Beautiful pen and nice review. I have one in black and took it down on an expedition in Antarctica! I agree that the converter size is a bit small but I just took a traveling ink pot with me and that worked just fine. Now I'm tempted to get one in the kuro-tamenuri.

Thanks,

M.

You would need to order directly from Nakaya.org or from John Mottishaw at Nibs.com.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks for the review and particularly for the comparison shots with the Pilot 742. Now I know that's the Nakaya size I "need".

Regards,

Carlos Javier.

Mi blog "Mis Plumas Fuente" contiene evaluaciones en lengua Castellana, muestras de escritura y fotografías originales de las plumas en mi colección.

Visítenos en http://misplumasfuente.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

M.

You would need to order directly from Nakaya.org or from John Mottishaw at Nibs.com.

I've had 2 Nakayas from John Mottishaw at nibs.com, and I can recommend buying through nibs.com very highly. Based in the UK with shipping and tax costs what they are, it's a sigificant decision to purchase Nakaya- I found that nibs.com takes the worry out of it, and once the bank balance has eventually recovered since my last Nakaya, I will no doubt be purchasing from there again.

"Relay"

SignalboxCat

speak truth unto power

I heard a lot of praise for the kimono, but it's really not worth mentioning. It would be better for Nakaya not to include it at all as it looks and feels cheap, and detracts points from the first impression of the whole package. The pen itself looks, and is, a work of art.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7752/img00128201011191059.jpg

I was just looking at your review again, and noticed the comment about the blue Kimono holder. I respect your opinion, but could not disagree more with how I perceive it, and just wanted to give another opinion for others considering the "whole package."

To me, it is rich looking, elegant, and exceptionally well made. There is no stitching seen anywhere except where the wind around strap attaches the white peg holder. Since I keep the pen outside of the box (which I also like), the kimono protects it, and immediately creates an expectation that something special from Japan is being protected inside. The unique wrap around belt and peg is unlike any fastener I have seen, and requires you take some time while unwrapping, to anticipate what is inside like a kid on Christmas unpeeling the wrapping paper on a present. The pen slides effortlessly out of the inside slippery lining. The gold speckled pattern on the blue rougher texture outside adds to the ornamentalism.

In short, I consider the kimono one of the most uniquely enticing aspects of the packaging, as do at least 25 of the people I have shown this to. Obviously the writing quality is sublimely elegant, but I only wanted to give my opinion on the kimono. If they stopped including it, I would pay extra to get one as an accessory.

Congrats! Beautiful pen, in fact you got my holy grail - portable cigar, kuro-tamenuri, elastic nib :puddle: Except for the nib width, I'd choose F. Great pen.

Hi.

Every time I read a review for a Nakaya pen, it makes me want one more. Yours is no exception. Great review, and good pictures. I hope you enjoy your pen for years to come!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I was just looking at your review again, and noticed the comment about the blue Kimono holder. I respect your opinion, but could not disagree more with how I perceive it, and just wanted to give another opinion for others considering the "whole package."

To me, it is rich looking, elegant, and exceptionally well made. There is no stitching seen anywhere except where the wind around strap attaches the white peg holder. Since I keep the pen outside of the box (which I also like), the kimono protects it, and immediately creates an expectation that something special from Japan is being protected inside. The unique wrap around belt and peg is unlike any fastener I have seen, and requires you take some time while unwrapping, to anticipate what is inside like a kid on Christmas unpeeling the wrapping paper on a present. The pen slides effortlessly out of the inside slippery lining. The gold speckled pattern on the blue rougher texture outside adds to the ornamentalism.

In short, I consider the kimono one of the most uniquely enticing aspects of the packaging, as do at least 25 of the people I have shown this to. Obviously the writing quality is sublimely elegant, but I only wanted to give my opinion on the kimono. If they stopped including it, I would pay extra to get one as an accessory.

The world is a nice place because we are all different, including our opinions. Your comment is more than welcome, people should not rely on just one side's view.

Congrats! Beautiful pen, in fact you got my holy grail - portable cigar, kuro-tamenuri, elastic nib :puddle: Except for the nib width, I'd choose F. Great pen.

Maybe, now that I use it for some time, I'd go F too. I have been tempted into M by a lot of reviews&comments saying that Japanes and inter alia Nakaya nibs tend to be one size smaller in western terms. It's not that true, very close to the western counterpart size.

I really wanna know why you won't show the Maki-e....

It's personal, I do not feel comfortable in sharing some intimate details of my life just like that. Sorry.

Every time I read a review for a Nakaya pen, it makes me want one more. Yours is no exception. Great review, and good pictures. I hope you enjoy your pen for years to come!

Thanks. I can only wish you to use yours soonest.

Edited by laser8

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Mm I was wondering if the Nakaya Company still exist? Because I tried to place an order (www.nakaya.org) but it never came through the process? So, may I ask you how did you made the order for this beautiful fountain pen, by phone?

Anyway thanks for the great review and time,

Cordial,

Thian_y

Edited by Thian_y

Great review and you answered many questions. The full size kuro-tamenuri urushi pen has been on my wish list for a while. When you ordered it how long did it take you to get it with the added maki-e painted on the barrel? Because of the black/red color I was thinking of getting the maki-e in red; what color did you choose? Do you know if there is a period in which the nib could be swapped for a different size? Sorry for all the questions; but as you indicated, it is an investment in a fine writing instrument.

Thanks

Damn this forum, in fact, damn the whole site. I’m truly addicted. I wake up at 4am just so that I can login, read and learn more about these wonderful instruments before setting off for work. I return from work around 6:30pm, kiss the wife and baby daughter then sneak back up to my office only to log on, read and learn more about these wonderful instruments. I even manage to make every excuse to get to bed late, just for my final fix. However, I have just this moment taken the plunge and e-ordered a portable writer, kuro-tamenuri with a soft flexible F nib, a three-pen pillow, a goldfish converter and an international adapter, all from nibs.com because of your review. Thank you. Now the torture of waiting for confirmation of nibs’ receipt of my e-mailed order. Gosh! I can’t wait.

Pavoni

Because I tried to place an order (www.nakaya.org) but it never came through the process? So, may I ask you how did you made the order for this beautiful fountain pen, by phone?

I did it via their website. It may take some days to get their reply, so just be patient.

When you ordered it how long did it take you to get it with the added maki-e painted on the barrel? Because of the black/red color I was thinking of getting the maki-e in red; what color did you choose? Do you know if there is a period in which the nib could be swapped for a different size?

From the confirmation of order, it was simething like a two months. I got the maki-e in gold, because I felt that the other colors available would, kind of, "drown". Speaking of the nib, do you mean from ordering it, before it is shipped? I do not know, however I would make my choice in time, without having to think wheter it will be possible to swap it or not.

Damn this forum, in fact, damn the whole site. I’m truly addicted. I wake up at 4am just so that I can login, read and learn more about these wonderful instruments before setting off for work. I return from work around 6:30pm, kiss the wife and baby daughter then sneak back up to my office only to log on, read and learn more about these wonderful instruments. I even manage to make every excuse to get to bed late, just for my final fix. However, I have just this moment taken the plunge and e-ordered a portable writer, kuro-tamenuri with a soft flexible F nib, a three-pen pillow, a goldfish converter and an international adapter, all from nibs.com because of your review. Thank you. Now the torture of waiting for confirmation of nibs’ receipt of my e-mailed order. Gosh! I can’t wait.

Pavoni

I think I know the feeling. If it helps you, I also have the watch addiction on top...

This is the exact Nakaya pen I hope to own some day. Thanks for sharing your experience and the pictures!

You're welcome!

Damn this forum, in fact, damn the whole site. I'm truly addicted. I wake up at 4am just so that I can login, read and learn more about these wonderful instruments before setting off for work. I return from work around 6:30pm, kiss the wife and baby daughter then sneak back up to my office only to log on, read and learn more about these wonderful instruments. I even manage to make every excuse to get to bed late, just for my final fix. However, I have just this moment taken the plunge and e-ordered a portable writer, kuro-tamenuri with a soft flexible F nib, a three-pen pillow, a goldfish converter and an international adapter, all from nibs.com because of your review. Thank you. Now the torture of waiting for confirmation of nibs' receipt of my e-mailed order. Gosh! I can't wait.

Pavoni

I toast your delightful affliction, and the joy it gives you!