Lechturn 1917 Notebook

alvarez57

Finally, I am getting away from being too frugal with the kind of paper I use for writing. I have assimilated the fact that a good part of enjoying the experience of writing with a fountain pen is not the copy paper at my job :angry:. I write journals and I've tried a variety of anonymous and some known papers. I am starting to learn my papers.

Having used a Moleskine that left me cold for its inconsistency, I came to this forum which I didn't have the habit of visiting. I read about Rhodia and Clairefontaine reviews. I checked the Exacompta journals and the Quo Vadis Havana reviews too. All seemed to have the right kind of paper (70g) that I read as considered to be of good quality, but alas! none offered me the feature I was most interested in: a considerable amount of pages.

So in one topic someone mentioned Leuchtturn, specifically the Leuchtturn 1917 Notebook. Not being a popular brand here in the States, it took me a while to find it. I ordered the medium ruled ( 8in tall) from organize.com. The feature I loved the most was that this notebook has 249 pages, which is perfect for what I'm looking for.

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/47162/2384362580105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

Being this my first review of notebooks and being a neophyte in the world of paper, I will do my best.:embarrassed_smile:

First, the notebook is 8in long and 5½ wide (21cm x 14.5cm). it is semi-hardbook in leatherette. I couldn't get in ruled paper the beautiful color arrays they sell in Europe :angry:.

It has an elastic band fastener and a page marker.

http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/44519/2235073240105226730S425x425Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/46751/2213972250105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

It has a blank table of contents (above), numbered pages (below), date and outside labels for the front cover and the spine of the notebook. This is a feature I really appreciate.

http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/11858/2826096690105226730S425x425Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/21222/2203909720105226730S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/39513/2952707300105226730S425x425Q85.jpg

It is thread bound and it stays beautifully flat when opened - a little less in the first pages, but I assume this is normal.

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/48135/2338368440105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

At the back cover it has an expandable pocket, a feature also shared with my Moleskine diary.

http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/46182/2341710950105226730S425x425Q85.jpg

The paper is 70g and it is bone white. The texture is soft but not glassy. I cannot compare to Clairefontaine or Rhodia for I don't recall using them in the past. The pen glides but does not skate. To me it has more of a tactile texture than the Moleskine, but absorbs less ink making it more suitable for my Medium nibs.

Until now, I've only used three pens with it: two vintage flexes and a modern flex. The inks are Waterman Blue Black, Herbin Perle Noire and Private Reserve Plum. The vintage flexes are a Paul Wirt M nib and a Wahl extra-fine. The [bock] Danitrio is a "flexy Fine"...pretty flexy indeed but not the same "memory" than the vintage flexes - pushing too hard will misalign the tines.

I have the samples of my writing but let me remind you I have no schooling in calligraphy nor Spencerian nor anything of the sort.I did notice the ink colors stayed true to themselves, making no difference if they are on this paper or on a stark white.

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/47098/2791874340105226730S600x600Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/40800/2125896100105226730S500x500Q85.jpg

With the vintage flexes: Wirt - Waterman Blue Black and Wahl- Herbin Perle Noire, there was feathering. The worst was with the Wirt being it the Medium. With the Danitrio- Private Reserve Plum, which has a decent flex, there was no feathering. I am just recording the observations for I'm not too familiarized with inks that feather due to the use of mediocre papers and my [past] lack of attention to the matter. I have promised myself from now on to be more attentive ;).

Conclusion:

I do like the attention brought into the organizing aspect of the notebook, it goes with my style and personality. The paper absorbs much less ink even from the vintage flex nibs pressed at almost their full capacity - they flunked ungracefully with the Moleskine.

As I said before, I have not tried the Clairefontaine nor the Rhodia yet, but their journals having a maximum number of 90 pages, I doubt I will seriously consider them for "journaling". This one at the moment satisfies well my needs. If you have any suggestions to other brands, please let me know.

Thanks!

*Edited for sentence construction horrors.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alvarez57

• Enai

• JSButterfly

• stephl

I like the review, thank you. You mentioned that it is ruled paper. It's hard to make out the ruling from the photos, so I'm guessing the lines are very light.

I noticed that Writer's Bloc (shopwritersbloc.com) now sells the colorful Leuchtturm, but the ones with dot grid paper.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Thanks for the review (and the pics)! I'm looking forward to the Clairefontaine and Rhodia reviews.

Doug

Off topic. You got a Canon QL-17 GIII, do you? I like your avatar.

I like the review, thank you. You mentioned that it is ruled paper. It's hard to make out the ruling from the photos, so I'm guessing the lines are very light.

I noticed that Writer's Bloc (shopwritersbloc.com) now sells the colorful Leuchtturm, but the ones with dot grid paper.

Yes, the lines are very light, which I like. Thanks for the above link.

Very nice camera indeed!

sonia alvarez

Yes, you are correct about my camera! I like your photos (I browsed your Flickr stream). I noticed you have a Yashica-Mat. I have one of those, too. Thank you for the compliment. I'll bookmark your Flickr stream.

Yes, the lines are very light, which I like. Thanks for the above link.

Very nice camera indeed!

Thank you for the compliment, too. And you're welcome for the link. I think I will ask them if they plan on stocking the ruled and blank Leuchtturm with the colored covers. Your review piqued my interest for these journals.

And that brings us back on topic. :)

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

To my dismay, noticed bleed through with the Danitrio flex nib and PR plum! Big time!:crybaby:

But it does not interfere with the [clarity of the] reading. Just a tad bit better than Moleskin.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

You have an old notebook.. The new ones are 80gsm and I don't get the bleedthrough with mine.

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

You have an old notebook.. The new ones are 80gsm and I don't get the bleedthrough with mine.

:gaah:

So where can I get the new ones from???

sonia alvarez

Option A) Cynthia at Journaling Arts, a FPN member. Be sure and request FP friendly, newer model. Option B) deskstore. is in Sweden. They stock a full line of Leuchtturm 1917 products. I would again request newest edition FP Friendly. They take Paypal and their web site has an English option. The only issue with them is they ship ONLY Fed Ex or DHL. Good news you get your order Yesterday or the day before. Bad news the shipping cost is often equal to your notebooks cost. Option C) thedailyplanner. in NYC stocks some of the Leuchtturm 1917 products. I'd suggest you ask customer service rep Martin, re edition number, paper weight and FP Friendliness. That way you'll get exactly what you want. Usual disclaimers apply. Satisfied Customer of all 3 businesses. YMMV, Jim

I had already seen deskstore.com but had seen it was in Sweden.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

Great review!

I've been using the 1917 after having gone through the not so interesting Moleskine experience. I like the 1917 so much I ordered 3 to stock up for future use. Mind you, because I only write on one side of the paper, it won't be long before I have to turn to my stock.

Stephan

Live: Run, swim, cycle, spin, hike, read, write, do something!

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the review, and thank you for the tip about Journaling Arts. I'm definitely going to be picking up some stuff from them. :thumbup:

+1 on Journaling Arts...BIG fan...shipping is super fast! Cynthia is wonderful about responding quickly to email inquiries! (no affiliation...happy customer!)

Join my Flickr Groups Staples Arc

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

I have a dot grid version with the ink proof paper. But it feathers like crazy. Only thing that seems to work well are my Sharpie Pen, ballpoints and pencils. :hmm1:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The first journal I bought was a Leuchtturm. As described above, It is well thought out and has all the features you could want.

I only write with a fountain pen - various and ink - many. The Leuchtturm was basically unusable, it feathers like a down comforter and bleeds like a hemophiliac. It was not even well behaved with my - perish the thought - roller ball.

Like so much I see today, the concept and design is excellent but the execution is poor and does not live up to its most basic function - the ability to write on it.

Thanks

Edited by ajk13a

Great review!

I've been using the 1917 after having gone through the not so interesting Moleskine experience. I like the 1917 so much I ordered 3 to stock up for future use. Mind you, because I only write on one side of the paper, it won't be long before I have to turn to my stock.

Stephan

Is that 'cos of bleed through? I fill up notebooks on one side then turn the book over at the end and write on the other side

Ok.....so it absolutely has ECHO....which IS disappointing-- YES! (I remember when I did my ink tests on it :(

and with my broader nibs, YES... some bleed thru.... these things have been reported on this forum before.

But I still purchased it---"function over form". I needed the numbered pages and so i write on one side...hey its about compromise. (but if anyone has a connect to the Leuchttrum people and can arrange a dinner with the Clairefontaine people....yada yada yada...)

....side point....it LOOKS great with a single pen holder Quiver attached.

(no affliation...satisfied customer)

Join my Flickr Groups Staples Arc

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

• 3 months later...

Looks like quite the notebook! Looking forward to getting one of these! :)

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." -Tyler Durden