Design.y Leather-bound Notebook Model 336

masa15

This is Model 336.

It is 2nd Design.Y's Leather-bound Notebook for me.

Design.Y URL:http://design-y.near-mint.com/(in English)

I wrote a review about Modal 228 before, Model 336 is handmade by Mr.Yoshino as in the case of Model 288.

Review about Model 288:Japanese Handmade Notebook

Model 288 is available in 2 colors, black and brown, I choosed black.

post-36084-093828900 1287849479.jpg

post-36084-099879200 1287849492.jpg

In detail, without cutting corners.

post-36084-093187600 1287850388.jpg

post-36084-071110200 1287850373.jpg

The big difference between 336 and 288 is learher and size.

Model 336's cover is made of goatskin.

This goatskin is a kind of vegetable tanned leather and I like vegetable tanned leathers.

post-36084-076256900 1287850044.jpg

Both Models have similar 'LEATHER TEXTURE'. But Model 336's goatskin have a different feeling.

(Model 336's cover is made of "Toscana" leather.)

(upside:Model 288, downside Model 336)

post-36084-073581500 1287850058.jpg

Model 336 is larger than Model 288, much smaller than Moleskine large size.

(upside:Model 288, downside Moleskine large size)

post-36084-072724600 1287850173.jpg

Edge is No-Dyed, Of course I could choose Dyed-Edge.

Dyed-Edge may be expensive-looking.

post-36084-015040800 1287850253.jpg

post-36084-076870200 1287850262.jpg

Paper is "Tomoe River". I choosed plain layout.

"Tomoe River" is very thin and featherweight, smooth paper.

post-36084-048680700 1287850303.jpg

Like me, Well-organized Japanese Should choose ruled layout.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• jimhughes

• masa15

• GutSchrift

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a beautiful notebook. I just placed my order for the 336. I can not wait to get it.

It is a beautiful notebook. I just placed my order for the 336. I can not wait to get it.

Hi specialk0449,

Mr.Yosho tahnk you.

I understand your the feeling.

When I ordered, I could not wait to get my notebook.

Waiting always lasts long.

• 3 months later...

These are beautiful. I am going to order one of each. Is there a photo of the dyed edge that I can see what it looks like?

Is there a discount for ordering 1 of each together?

Also on your website order form, I would recommend that you give separate boxes for address street, city, state, country

The format for mailing to USA is:

Sam Capote

1234 Main Street

City Name, State Name

USA zip/postal code

Edit: Oh, I see the dyed in this other thread you did:

post-36084-068339500%201279539743.jpg

If these are as nice as I think they will be, I have at least 10 people I would want to give one to.

Masa15, you may also want to fix the auto-email that gets sent to only print what I did order, instead of all the items I did not as well. It did not print my message comments, where I typed my address on each line as in the example above. I didn't see an option of combined EMS shipping.

Model 216 : 1

Cover Color : Brown

Layout : Ruled

Bookmark Ribbon Color : Brown

Model 216 : 0

Cover Color : Black

Layout : Plain

Bookmark Ribbon Color : Black

Model 216 : 0

Model 288 : 1

Edge : Dyed

Bookmark Ribbon Color : Charcoal Gray

Model 288 : 0

Edge : No-Dyed

Model 288 : 0

Model 336 : 1

Cover Color : Brown

Edge : Dyed

Bookmark Ribbon Color : Cream Yellow

Model 336 : 0

Model 336 : 0

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

The order print out is a bit different than what we expect stateside, but all 3 of mine (2 x 216 and 1 x 288) came together via EMS in about 7 calendar days, IIRC. You won't believe how great they are. The biggest problem you'll have is 1) What are you going to put in these, 2) What pen and ink to use. Service, Quality, Delivery are all fantastic. Usual disclaimers apply. Enjoy, Jim

SamCapote san,

We regret that any reduction in the price is impossible.

We also recognize We need to fix our "order form".

Personally, I want to put "Shopping Cart" on our site in the future.

"Shopping Cart" may solve some problems.

SamCapote san,

We regret that any reduction in the price is impossible.

We also recognize We need to fix our "order form".

Personally, I want to put "Shopping Cart" on our site in the future.

"Shopping Cart" may solve some problems.

Thank you. It was really just a gentle constructive feedback, and in case a new website "bug" or display problem developed. I did understand what I ordered--so it is a little point.

The total for EMS shipping is $22.63 which I think is fair. However the total amount for all 3 notebooks (including shipping) of $243 USD got my attention, and I may want to first start with just one.

Jim Hughes, having received all three, which one would you say is the most impressive? Do you have other brands of quality notebooks with which to compare it?

Sam: I would say some custom ones I've seen from Italy at comparable prices were the closest to these I've come across in 40 + years of notebook addiction. Personally, I'm a pocket sized kind of guy. I have the 2 smaller pocket sized ones, not the newer 5 x 8 or so version. The 216, smallest of the lot suits me best, mostly on the size front. But on quality they are equally superb. If you're budgetary constrained, as I usually am, I would choose a size you use regularly and get one.. Seemingly, to me, the rest of the world are the 5 x 8 users, so I'd say get that one. Quality and beautywise all 3 are the epitome of grace and style. You won't be sorry, no matter what your choice is. The maker is clearly a world class artisan, in line with the revered katana makers of Japans past. He is a master artist of his craft. Jim

Edit : I have 2 of the 216's in each colour and one 288. I don't have the newest, 3XX, bigger one.

Edited by jimhughes

Thank you for your help. I just sent payment for 2 x 288 models in black and brown.

I'm convinced you'll be quite pleased with your purchase. Considering each one is hand made once ordered, like a bespoke suit, the waiting time is minimal. Let us know what your thoughts are on arrival and use. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm convinced you'll be quite pleased with your purchase. Considering each one is hand made once ordered, like a bespoke suit, the waiting time is minimal. Let us know what your thoughts are on arrival and use. Jim

WOW! These are blowing my mind. Starting with the packaging, protective cloth-fiber sleeve, beautiful soft paper wrapper, with wax seal. Then the quality of every aspect of the leather, paper, ribbon, edge smoothness, dye. You feel the soul of the maker poured into each book. It almost feels like I am holding something sacred. I could barely tolerate breaking the paper wrapper/seal on one to look inside. This is making me go beyond just thinking what would be worth writing in it...more like discovering what would be worthy to go in it. I will carry it around and wait to see what inspiration comes...but it feels like it will be a long time before I know.

WOW! These are blowing my mind. Starting with the packaging, protective cloth-fiber sleeve, beautiful soft paper wrapper, with wax seal. Then the quality of every aspect of the leather, paper, ribbon, edge smoothness, dye. You feel the soul of the maker poured into each book. It almost feels like I am holding something sacred. I could barely tolerate breaking the paper wrapper/seal on one to look inside. This is making me go beyond just thinking what would be worth writing in it...more like discovering what would be worthy to go in it. I will carry it around and wait to see what inspiration comes...but it feels like it will be a long time before I know.

+1

They're amazing.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Sam:

I thought you'd fall in love, once you had one in your hands. I've got the same problem as you...Dare I use it, if so for what. It's become a talisman in my book bag for now. Jim

Edited by jimhughes

• 2 months later...

I'm so happy they are OK after the earthquake disaster. I couldn't order the small and largest size fast enough when I heard. Thanks again, Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a black 336 with dyed edge and cream yellow ribbon! I am so excited about this and can hardly believe I'm going to have to wait nearly a month to receive this already much-anticipated package!

I'm so excited with a post earthquake set of large and smallest size notebooks in route now. This will give me all 3 sizes. They are just so breathtakingly beautiful.

Advice needed:

I have ordered the 336 for a gift for a dear person for journaling/ sketching for a yearlong trip around the world. I asked Design.Y to specially add bookmark ribbons so there are four bookmarks. This book will lead a very special life and be well used. The journeyer is well experienced in sketching and writing things down.

Now I need some advice. I had wanted to leave an inscription inside the book, but then I’ve learned of the beautiful sealed presentation of the finished book. Do I break the seal and inscribe or should I rather keep the seal and enclose a letter?

Thanking you in advance for advice.

I'm so excited with a post earthquake set of large and smallest size notebooks in route now. This will give me all 3 sizes. They are just so breathtakingly beautiful.

Would be interested to get your take on how well the paper handles ink - especially showthrough and bleeding.