Yafa - Fountain Pen Review

MassTahDohn

So one day, I get home from work at 9pm. My mom comes up to me and says she got a present for me. She pulls out of a plastic bag, an impossible to open plastic container. Inside of it is a Yafa Fountain Pen, it's worth $6...

First Impressions (1/10)

It came in a plastic container... And it's 6 dollars. Need I say more? Also it claims to "Write like an expensive pen" Yeah... RIGHT

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/ModiHammarstedt/DSC00307.jpg?t=1287630851

(No picture of plastic, well because... It's plastic!)

Design (4/10)

Not bad actually, not an eye sore but it isn't amazing. Doesn't look plastic at all, the brushed metal looks aesthetically pleasing! The broadness of it is alright, it doesn't seem too bulky, even though it actually is.

Quality (5/10)

Once you touch it, the cheapness just seeps into you. It's a terrible feel. It's a bulky pen but it has no weight WHAT SO EVER! The plastic is either freezing or way too hot. The cap is dreadful, it leaves marks on the end of the pen when posted (I already have white rings on mine!) and the sound it makes when it snaps is so... Hollow, it seems like it can snap on harder. Half the time it doesn't even snap on straight! And don't even get me started on the grip... It's not even the right size, it constantly rotates, and moves up and down. There's at least a few millimeters in between the grip edge and the edge of the pen! And some instances I take it out of my pocket before I go to bed, screw the tip in tightly, place it on my bedside table, wake up and it magically unscrewed like 1/4 of a turn!

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/ModiHammarstedt/DSC00310.jpg?t=1287631202

Dimensions (2/10)

I would give you the actual dimensions of the pen, but it's just not worth it. With the cap posted it's too long, without it, it's too short. It just doesn't seem to make up it's mind. Also like I mentioned earlier, when you look at it, you expect it to be heavy because of it's size. But it just isn't, there's no mass to it at all, it also slides around in your hand a lot. You can't grip it properly, and when you do, your hand cramps up.

Nib (7/10)

Not bad at all. Well... When I first wrote with it, it just flat out didn't work. I dipped it in water for like 5 minutes, still no ink flow. When it started flowing I tried to write with it, nothing came out. I then applied pressure on it, (bad idea) the nib is Iridium Point Germany (easily the worst nib in existence), so I pressed down, and the nib split. Like without hardly applying any pressure at all! I then panicked and bent it back. The ink started flowing and it worked fine from then on... One MASSIVE problem is the drying. It dries way too quickly. If you stop writing for 5 seconds, you have to place the pen on the paper like you are about to write and wait 1 second to start writing. Which makes taking notes in it VERY difficult. It is also the noisiest nib I have ever heard in my life! I've heard pencils that were quieter! But the ink does flow smoothly once all of these are ignored.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/ModiHammarstedt/DSC00309.jpg?t=1287631973

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/ModiHammarstedt/DSC00308.jpg?t=1287631991

Filling (4/10)

Cartridge fill... Nothing really to add, cartridge filling is just 'meh'. Although with this pen you get the drama of when you put it in you have to squeeze with ALL your might to make sure the ink goes through. I've almost snapped it in half trying to get the ink through, and every time I do it, it seems like the ink is just going to shooting through the nib.

Cost (10/10)

It was 6 dollars! That's like no money at all! And the refills I got a pack of 12 for 2.50, so it is a cheap pen. I use it basically every single time I write, even though it tortured me to do so, when I get home I can write with my Lamy Studio, so I have something to look forward to.

Overall (33/70)

Not a terrible pen (ahhh... who am I kidding?) but not a good one. I wouldn't say use your $6 to buy it, but if you have it laying around I would try and use it. If you hate it, then no big deal!

It's my first pen review so I thought I'd start out with a 'beginner pen'. So don't be too harsh please?

Every time there is a negative in life there is always a positive. A failed test, a relationship gone sour. Whatever it may be, your life is not over. If you dwell on the negative you can`t see the world with the right eyes. There is a positive in every moment, even if it is small. Try your whole life to find that positive and live off of it and you will be loved. My blog... Check it!!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MassTahDohn

• Sailor Kenshin

• Fuddlestack

• revbyrd1

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for sharing the review, you did a good job for your first time. I remember my first fountain pen, a Parker Vector that I purchased when I was in middle school. Your Yafa looks much nicer and better appointed.

Try flushing this one with some cool, soapy water to get better ink flow.

As my Godmother shared with me many years ago, "There are two things in life that you should simply receive well by saying, 'Thank you', a compliment and a gift." I hope you told your mother, "Thank You." It was very thoughtful of her to think of you and purchase the fountain pen.

Peace,

K. Byrd

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

I like the look of your pen. I too hope you thanked your Mom. It was nice of her to buy you the pen. I wish my mum was still around to buy me a pen - even a $6 one!

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

:W2FPN: Maybe the container was six bucks and the pen a freebie... Edited by Fuddlestack

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

this has to be the lowest rating i've seen on a pen! :headsmack: i think you went a bit to high on the price rating :unsure: ... great first review!!

Hurrah for moms!

Good, no punches pulled, review.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Thank you for sharing the review, you did a good job for your first time. I remember my first fountain pen, a Parker Vector that I purchased when I was in middle school. Your Yafa looks much nicer and better appointed.

As my Godmother shared with me many years ago, "There are two things in life that you should simply receive well by saying, 'Thank you', a compliment and a gift." I hope you told your mother, "Thank You." It was very thoughtful of her to think of you and purchase the fountain pen.

Peace,

K. Byrd

Actually it was the same day that I bought my Lamy Studio, she bought it as a joke. We always do that, like if one of us buys some thing very well made, another family member gets something really poor quality as a present.

Every time there is a negative in life there is always a positive. A failed test, a relationship gone sour. Whatever it may be, your life is not over. If you dwell on the negative you can`t see the world with the right eyes. There is a positive in every moment, even if it is small. Try your whole life to find that positive and live off of it and you will be loved. My blog... Check it!!!

Good review, very detailed.

However, I actually LIKE pens with a thick section. I might get me one of these. ^^

PS: If a new pen won't write, the most likely fix is to soak the section overnight in some very diluted dish detergent.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

However, I actually LIKE pens with a thick section. I might get me one of these. ^^

PS: If a new pen won't write, the most likely fix is to soak the section overnight in some very diluted dish detergent.

I do too, but it's just the way it felt just totally ruined that experience for me. If you are going to get one of these, I wish you the best of luck to enjoy it!!! :)

I do too, but it's just the way it felt just totally ruined that experience for me. If you are going to get one of these, I wish you the best of luck to enjoy it!!! :)

Thanks, do you happen to know where Mom picked it up?

Awesome Mom, btw.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thanks, do you happen to know where Mom picked it up?

Awesome Mom, btw.

She is!!! Office Depot, I believe they are $12 but since that store was going under it was cut in half... I don't know if $12 is worth that pen. You can just buy like a 78G for that money...

I have two Yafa fountain pens. But I paid $13 for each of them. I actually like the pens. Both mine are smooth writers and the weight and size suit me. My only dislikes are the international cartrige and the pens' tendency to dry up when not used for a period of time. One day I may try a converter in one to get away from the cartridge. The drying problem I work around by dipping the nib in clear water. Works every time. I prefer to carry these pens (in my shirt pocket)instead of one of my better pens; If I lose the Yafa I can get another at Office Depot. If I lose the P51, I'll cry.

Edited by johniem

“If you believe yourself unfortunate because you have loved and lost, perish the thought. One who has loved truly, can never lose entirely.” ~Napoleon Hill

Actually it was the same day that I bought my Lamy Studio, she bought it as a joke. We always do that, like if one of us buys some thing very well made, another family member gets something really poor quality as a present.

Does it work the other way round, e.g. if you buy a Yafa is there any chance of a Nakaya? Might be worth a try. ;)

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Nib (7/10)

Not bad at all. Well... When I first wrote with it, it just flat out didn't work. I dipped it in water for like 5 minutes, still no ink flow. When it started flowing I tried to write with it, nothing came out. I then applied pressure on it, (bad idea) the nib is Iridium Point Germany (easily the worst nib in existence), so I pressed down, and the nib split.

I thought I should point out that several manufacturers use the "Iridium Point Germany" engraving, from reputable manufacturers like JoWo and Bock down to purveyors of absolute junk, and the quality of nibs with this engraving runs the whole gamut.

Brian Gray of Edison wrote an enlightening article on the IPG phenomenon.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Nib (7/10)

Not bad at all. Well... When I first wrote with it, it just flat out didn't work. I dipped it in water for like 5 minutes, still no ink flow. When it started flowing I tried to write with it, nothing came out. I then applied pressure on it, (bad idea) the nib is Iridium Point Germany (easily the worst nib in existence), so I pressed down, and the nib split.

I thought I should point out that several manufacturers use the "Iridium Point Germany" engraving, from reputable manufacturers like JoWo and Bock down to purveyors of absolute junk, and the quality of nibs with this engraving runs the whole gamut.

Brian Gray of Edison wrote an enlightening article on the IPG phenomenon.

Wow... That was pretty confusing! It just seems like a waste too... Thank you for showing me that article :)

This is a very funny topic...

We always do that, like if one of us buys some thing very well made, another family member gets something really poor quality as a present.

:))))

Parker 51 Vacumatic 0.7 Masuyama stub; TWSBI 540 M; TWSBI 580 1.1; Mabie, Todd and Bard 3200 stub; Waterman 14 Eyedropper F; 2 x Hero 616; several flexible dip nibs

owned for a time: Parker 45 flighter Pendleton stub, Parker 51 aerometric F, Parker 51 Special 0.7 Binder stub, Sheaffer Valiant Snorkel M, Lamy Joy Calligraphy 1.5 mm, Pelikan M200 M, Parker Vacumatic US Azure Blue M, Parker Vacumatic Canada Burgundy F, Waterman 12 Eyedropper, Mabie Todd SF2 flexible F

Peace,

K. Byrd

It looks as though your review has generated quite a bit of interest. The fountain pen might have been considered a joke, but you can probably still get some decent use out of it. I have found that many of my inexpensive pens give me quality service as long as I work with them.

Best writing and welcome to The Network.

Peace,

Kenny

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

Ah, I had one of these! my first fountain pen.

In green plastic. The cap was pretty, at least. Mine wrote surprisingly smoothly, but was definitely the widest nib I've seen to date. I wonder what happened to it....

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir