Nib/section Blocked - Any Ideas Pls?

sherbie

Hi all,

bought home to Blighty an Esterbrook J Series copper J (full sized) pen whilst on vacation in Canada a few weeks back. Its an early one, as it doesnt have the rights reserved symbol (®).

But after changing the sac, it doesnt seem to suck up water (or ink). The air is expelled, but it seems that the sac wont inflate with water after it.

It seems to me like the nib section (its a medium 2968) is blocked, as when I use the nib section from my only other Este (a smaller copper LJ with a fine 1555 Gregg nib), all works fine

Does any one know a cure, or do I just need to get a new nib?

cheers, Sherbie

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sherbie

• FarmBoy

• Ernst Bitterman

• PenFisher

Hi all,

bought home to Blighty an Esterbrook J Series copper J (full sized) pen whilst on vacation in Canada a few weeks back. Its an early one, as it doesnt have the rights reserved symbol (®).

But after changing the sac, it doesnt seem to suck up water (or ink). The air is expelled, but it seems that the sac wont inflate with water after it.

It seems to me like the nib section (its a medium 2968) is blocked, as when I use the nib section from my only other Este (a smaller copper LJ with a fine 1555 Gregg nib), all works fine

Does any one know a cure, or do I just need to get a new nib?

cheers, Sherbie

The quickest cure for constipated nib is to sonicate the stuff out of it.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sounds like you have isolated the problem. As mentioned, use an ultrasonic cleaner on the nib if you have one, or if not, just soak it overnight and flush it well afterwards ... then give it another try. Good luck!

thanks - its been soaking for 2 days and no joy as yet. Alos dont have a ultrasonic bath, but there maybe one at work I can use :)

cheers, Sherbie

thanks - its been soaking for 2 days and no joy as yet. Alos dont have a ultrasonic bath, but there maybe one at work I can use :)

cheers, Sherbie

Try putting a little household ammonia in the soak water.

You can also give the nib an analrectalotomy. Try an e-string up the channel from the back end.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Household ammonia presents some difficulties in the UK, it seems. Some have said that applying at a chemist's MIGHT pry a small quantity loose, while others have declared it hopeless. A fine guitar-string or other monofilament is probably the best bet, and keep at the soaking. You might ask around your friends and familiars to see if anyone has an ultrasonic tub (draughtsmen are a good bet, so are people with loads of jewellry).

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Hi all,

thanks for all the advice. Well another 2 days of soaking failed to cure the blockage, so I tried the thin wire trick. This has done the trick - the pen now fills nicely and writes a really nice medium with some flex, which was a nice surprise

cheers, Sherbie

I am happy that you were able to remedy the problem smile.gif. Enjoy your Estie!

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

cheers, Sherbie

Try putting a little household ammonia in the soak water.

You can also give the nib an analrectalotomy. Try an e-string up the channel from the back end.

High or low E? (I'm asking because I'm going to try and match with fishing line, and wanted to know the rough diameter to aim for!

I used a freezer bag tie - these ties are covered with plastic which you strip away with scissors leaving a very small diameter flexible wire

worked a treat

cheers,Sherbie

I used a freezer bag tie - these ties are covered with plastic which you strip away with scissors leaving a very small diameter flexible wire

worked a treat

cheers,Sherbie

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Last week I was up in the North Georgia Mountains at my favorite motorcycle sleepover place and went down for morning coffee and low and behold, they were using the wooden coffee stirrers (actually not quite as nice but pretty close) that Race-Trac convenience stores USED to use (but stopped having) that I've turned into a bunch of Estie repair "helpme's". I actually had a small pen part box in my sidebag on the bike that got a half a handfull of them tossed into it! :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL