How Do I Take Apart An Esterbrook?

rxjohn

I want to to see the sack and change some nibs but I'm not sure how to begin to take it apart?

Could someone please advise me on how to dissect as Esterbrook?

It's a regular lever fill esterbrook with 1**** nibs.

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rabbit

• FarmBoy

• rxjohn

• dudaymd

Top Posters In This Topic

The nib unscrews counter-clockwise. To change the sac, the section is pressure fit into the barrel If you wiggle it and it's moving you can probably wiggle it out. If the entire pen is cruded-up with old ink that can hinder taking any of it apart so don't force it.

Edited by jbb

Nib unscrews Counter-clockwise, remember "righty tighty, lefty loosey".

I think the most critical thing is patience when separating the section from the barrel. It may help to warm the joint in warm water that does NOT reach anywhere near the lever, just place pen nib down in a glass with about 2 inches of warm water. As shared in repair tips before, rubber gloves can really help with the grip and I use my rubber band wrap to give me a good grip on the section. Pull, and pull and make miniscule wiggles. Too much force and barrels will cracksad.gif Slow and steady, patient, patient!

See picture of nib with rubber band wrap, it really helps!

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Definitely keep the nib in the section until you get the section out of the barrel (to prevent crushing the section.) Although many Esterbrook sections can come out without too much effort, if you get one that seems fairly stuck, you can try applying gentle heat to the barrel where the section joins. Lately I've been pulling almost every section with heat applied. It seems to make the process go a little faster and it greatly reduces the risk of cracking the barrel. I have a little heat gun that I got from a craft store, but a hairdryer can also work. But be careful to not get the pen too hot. Keep your fingers close to your work. If it's getting too hot for your fingers, you might be getting the pen too hot. There are two stages of "too hot." The first one is when the pen melts, and you probably wont be able to melt it back to the way it was. The second stage is ignition with lots of smoke!

edit to add: always forget to mention this. If you needed heat to get the section out, you should use heat again when putting it back in.

--Stephen

Edited by Rabbit

Thank you all for your quick replies!!

I think 2 of my pens have broken bladders because they wont take up water. 1 is alright it takes up water and doesn't seem to be leaking.

I'll try your tips on removing the section.

Thanks again.

My J pen needs a new sac too. Would a silicone sac be better than a latex#16?

Nope, not necessary.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Can someone explain why the lever can not go in the water? I thought that you wanted to soak pens to clean them properly? Is it to prevent rust?

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Can someone explain why the lever can not go in the water? I thought that you wanted to soak pens to clean them properly? Is it to prevent rust?

The lever retaining clip is steel and will quickly rust.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Just soak the nib. If the nib is stuck in the section, you can soak the section too.

--Stephen