Edison Pearl In Purple Web Celluloid

Kaustic

post-41188-0-79090500-1318380080.jpg

I just received this wonderful pen. I have never done a review before so bare with me.

First Impressions:

My jaw hit the ground! The burgundy leather pen case was exquisite, and then I opened the box to view a pen that in most pictures is greatly understated. All the photos I had seen gave the pen a black appearance with a slight view of the purple webbing. The presentation of the pen was great, and Brian deserves all the kudos that he receives from his customers.

Appearance & Design:

As I said before, this pen has always show in photos as black with a very subtle purple pattern. However, the reality of this material is that it is incredibly lively and detailed. The photos I am providing do not have the professional touch as many of Edison's Flickr galleries, but I was successful in capturing the details of this celluloid. I also noticed in the regular photos of this material little white specks on the barrel and cap looking like lint or dust. What these spots really are is a series of sparkling flecks imbedded in the celluloid like veins of silver. It is truly wonderful! This is probably the most unassuming material photographed in the Edison arsenal, yet this material IMHO is the most impressive to behold in person. The Pearl variant of Edison's pens is a small pen slightly bigger than a Nakaya Piccolo with a curved section for your fingers akin to that of an Everest Skyline which I adore. The difference between this Edison and most fp's is that the threads for the cap and removing the section are an extremely tight pattern allowing for more threads in the same amount of space compared to other pens. This means it takes longer to unscrew the section and cap, but it also means that these components are extremely tight and secure. I like this. Along with the immaculate rhodium clip and plated gold nib bearing the Edison insignia, this pen is the most beautiful thing I own!

Weight & Dimensions:

This pen is slightly larger than a Nakaya Piccolo and slightly heavier. I do not have any official measurements, but Brian gives approximate descriptions of each model on his website.

Nib & Performance:

I asked for a Fine nib that was extremely wet and smooth. That is exactly what I received. The rhodium plated gold nib glides so well across my most textured stationary (Crane 32# Ecruwhite) with such ease that it might as well be glass. I need not apply any pressure to get a great line. This is going to become an extended use pen for long rantings. I have heard from other reviews that the steel nib that Brian provides are just as good performers as the gold variations. I, however, did not want the Edison Company engraving on the barrel, but I did want this pen to bear the Edison nib and insignia to give credit of this gem to its masterful creator.

Filling Mechanism & Maintenance:

This pen comes supplied with a converter which seems to have the same capacity as all my other converter pens. I do not mind converters at all. The lack of any metal surfaces on the inside of the barrel as well as the extremely tight threading of the section to the barrel makes this a great candidate as an eyedropper. Brian has offered to fix any problems or even buff out minor damage to the pen, and I hear from other reviews that is customer service is second to none.

Cost & Value:

I find that, with few exceptions, there is no pen worth its value more than a custom job. I paid $375.00 for this beauty and would do it again, and perhaps, I will! :) Given the cost of other custom pens such as Nakaya's and Danitrio's, I would think that anyone can see Edison Pen Co's prices as extremely reasonable.

Conclusion:

Buy an Edison! Then...buy another!

post-41188-0-35891700-1318380084.jpg

post-41188-0-10663000-1318380088.jpg

post-41188-0-95878500-1318380090.jpg

post-41188-0-79183500-1318380093.jpg

post-41188-0-09297500-1318380097.jpg

post-41188-0-65826300-1318380100.jpg

post-41188-0-38001900-1318380103.jpg

post-41188-0-76252800-1318380111.jpg

post-41188-0-11472900-1318380115.jpg

post-41188-0-68806800-1318380118.jpg

post-41188-0-54856800-1318380122.jpg

post-41188-0-21958000-1318289258.jpg

post-41188-0-35046300-1318289260.jpg

post-41188-0-55017200-1318289262.jpg

post-41188-0-27693300-1318289264.jpg

post-41188-0-09270900-1318289266.jpg

Edited by watch_art

"When your favorite cup breaks, remember it is only a cup." - Epictetus: Enchiridion"

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thornton

• Kaustic

• roofchees9

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my! That is a delicious looking celluloid!

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

• 1 year later...

I cant see the pictures either

The OP is from about a year ago. It's likely that the pictures are simply gone.

Try this linK. These are from a search of the words "pearl purple web" on Edison Pen/Brian Gray's smugmug galleries showing many, many of his models in different materials.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

As a matter of fact,I think this very pen by the very same member is up

for sale in the classifieds.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Why cant I see the pics? Does anyone else only see an ! surrounded by a triangle within a black box?

Same here. Would love to see this pen.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Why cant I see the pics? Does anyone else only see an ! surrounded by a triangle within a black box?

Same here. Would love to see this pen.

Look in classifieds.

Howdy! I believe the original pics were accidentally scrubbed. However, since there is such sudden interest I wil scan my Mac for copies and repost if I find them! :)

"When your favorite cup breaks, remember it is only a cup." - Epictetus: Enchiridion"

Howdy! I believe the original pics were accidentally scrubbed. However, since there is such sudden interest I wil scan my Mac for copies and repost if I find them! :)

Awesome!!!

Thank you very much. I've been looking for a purple pen so I'm intrigued.

I just bought this bad boy. It is breathtaking and a dream to write with.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/zecn7.jeyr6/v/vspfiles/photos/EN-Premiere-Purple-7.jpg?1317452408

I just bought this bad boy. It is breathtaking and a dream to write with.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/zecn7.jeyr6/v/vspfiles/photos/EN-Premiere-Purple-7.jpg?1317452408

That is an awesome pen. I bought an Edison Premiere in the LE blue/black edition and have great enjoyed it. I'm sure it wouldn't mind having a partner.

Yay! Old pics restored!