Rhodia Webnotebook

carpedavid

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5039198913_11d784950a.jpg

I’ve been keeping writing journals for well over a decade, since I began the practice back in college. During that time I’ve used a wide variety of notebooks: ruled Moleskines, leather-bound blank journals, books with black paper that had to be written on with colorful gel pens, books that cost one-dollar, books that cost sixty dollars, spiral bound, hard bound, hand-bound, large, medium, small – the list goes on and on. However, I have never abandoned a journal to move on to the next, more interesting notebook – no matter how many I had sitting at the ready.

Well, I’ve never been more tempted to jump ship than I am now – the A5 Rhodia Webnotebook is fantastic. It is slightly larger than a large Moleskine journal – the same height, but about half an inch wider. It is approximately the same thickness, though it contains 96 sheets (192 pages) of paper versus the 120 sheets (240 pages) of a Moleskine, and has similar accoutrement: a sewn-in ribbon bookmark, a pocket on the inside of the back cover, and an elastic closure that runs vertically from top to bottom. Additionally, its signatures are stitched, so it lies flat when open.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5039198875_09bbc7be1c.jpg

In other ways, as well, the Rhodia shows subtle differences from a Moleskine. The large, ruled notebook has 27 lines versus 30, and the rules do not stretch from edge to edge. Its paper is ivory instead of the off-white of a Moleskine. The cover is slightly softer and thicker to the touch than its competitor, and the Rhodia logo is embossed on the front center of the book rather than the lower back. Like Moleskines they come in two colors: black and, in this case, orange.

Where the Webbie markedly differs from a Moleskine is the paper. It is filled with 90 gr Clairefontaine paper, which is an utter joy to write on. As I mentioned in my Quo Vadis Habana review, Clairefontaine paper is regarded by fountain pen aficionados as some of the best in the world to write on. It is silky smooth, and even scratchy nibs glide easily over the surface.

The paper is of low absorbency and resists feathering – standing up perfectly to wet inks like J. Herbin and Iroshizuku. The trade-off is that most inks take much longer to dry on this paper than on more absorbent paper, like an Ecosystem notebook or standard copier paper. Noodler’s inks, in particular, often take upwards of a minute to dry on Clairefontaine paper when they take only seconds to dry on standard office paper.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5039198895_ac79840c15.jpg

The 90 gr paper is thick enough to stand up very well to the wettest inks. I noticed no bleed-through from fountain pen inks at all during my testing, and the amount of show-through is noticeably less than in a Moleskine notebook. It also handles other media well – I had no trouble with a garden-variety ballpoint pen. A permanent marker bled through, but did not mark the underlying page.

It’s worth pointing out that the Webnotebook has gone through several revisions here in the US. The first version used 80 gr paper that was not manufactured by Clairefontaine. From what I have heard, it was not especially fountain-pen friendly. The second version had tightly sewn signatures, which caused problems with the book lying flat. It also had a Rhodia logo emblazoned on the bottom of each page.

The third generation of Webnotebook is the one I have – and which is the one that I recommend without hesitation. The logo has been removed and the signatures loosened up enough to allow the book to lie flat without issue. Another recent development is the availability of a blank version, for those that prefer an unlined notebook.

The only cause for concern is the relative price and the availability. Moleskines are available everywhere it seems, whereas I’ve only been able to find the Webnotebook in a local stationary boutique. Also, the Webbie costs slightly more – but at this price point, what’s a dollar or two?

I’m prepared to declare the Rhodia Webnotebook the single best Moleskine-type notebook on the market. If you enjoy the act of writing on paper, especially with a fountain pen, then this is the book for you.

Note about this review: a review copy of the Rhodia Webnotebook was graciously provided by Karen at Exaclair – Rhodia’s US distributor. Once I finish this one, I plan to buy a dozen more – all in orange.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cnjackson

• Koyote

• GouletPens

• mjchuang9

Good to see another review of the Webbie. I have every intention of trying one myself due to the quality of the paper and construction.

My hesitancy is with the ivory paper. Wondering if it distorts many inks in an unflattering way. And although the Webbie is only a couple bucks more expensive according to your review, when you take into account the fact that the Moleskin has 25% more pages that does create a wider price spread.

If I like the ivory color of the paper, I won't mind paying more for the experience of 90g Clairefontaine.

I think you simply nailed it on this review. It is a really great notebook, and the paper is really good. I asked my local shop (Vromans in Pasadena) to stock it, and they are ordering some and seem interested.

Thanks,

Mars

"fortibus es in ero"

Mars:

You can always get it on line from fellow FPNer...GouletPens. I get his stock almost overnight. Great service, great price, great product. The complete Rhodia line is available. Jim

Great review. I've shunned Moleskines ever since the first one I bought snapped its strap on me. And the paper was just not thick enough for my pens. I haven't tried any Rhodia ever, but all these glowing reviews make it hard to stay away.

Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

Mars:

You can always get it on line from fellow FPNer...GouletPens. I get his stock almost overnight. Great service, great price, great product. The complete Rhodia line is available. Jim

Thanks for the advice and done, two pads bought and received, with bells and whistles, personal note and sample patches. Great service from Goulet Pens!

Best,

Mars

"fortibus es in ero"

Thanks for the advice and done, two pads bought and received, with bells and whistles, personal note and sample patches. Great service from Goulet Pens!

Best,

Mars

That's how I do! :thumbup:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Interesting. I am using Habanas b/c the early Webnotebooks did not lie flat. But it sounds like they have beat that problem, so how do the two journals actually differ now?

Interesting. I am using Habanas b/c the early Webnotebooks did not lie flat. But it sounds like they have beat that problem, so how do the two journals actually differ now?

The four main points of distinction are:

1. The Habanas are taller vertically.

2. The Habanas have a more flexible cover than the Webbies.

3. Bright white vs. ivory paper.

4. The Habanas have a wider rule.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

I ordered the unlined version from Goulet Pens after reading this review and received it yesterday. I really like it. Although I don't plan to start using it until I fill my current journal, I must say I have started writing bigger in an attempt to speed up the process.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

The third generation of Webnotebook is the one I have – and which is the one that I recommend without hesitation. The logo has been removed and the signatures loosened up enough to allow the book to lie flat without issue. Another recent development is the availability of a blank version, for those that prefer an unlined notebook.

I’m prepared to declare the Rhodia Webnotebook the single best Moleskine-type notebook on the market. If you enjoy the act of writing on paper, especially with a fountain pen, then this is the book for you.

Great review and I couldn't agree more. I have the latest version in orange, and it immediately became my favorite notebook. I can't wait until my moleskins are full so I can replace them with Webbies.

A few more color choices would be nice, but they did select a very nice orange. I'd love to see color Webbie's with matching ink made available...I'd buy that up in a heartbeat.

~Jade

~ Jade

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

The four main points of distinction are:

1. The Habanas are taller vertically.

2. The Habanas have a more flexible cover than the Webbies.

3. Bright white vs. ivory paper.

4. The Habanas have a wider rule.

All correct, but there's another difference, page count. Habanas have 80 sheets, Webbies 96 sheets. The differences are subtle but important. Both are great journals though, I personally use multiple of each!

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

I have the smaller version of the Rhodia Webbie/Webnotebook (still has the logo/name printed on each page). Really love the paper but two issues made me go back to the moleskine (overlooking moleskine's inconsistent paper quality as well as ink bleed): the "leatherette" cover on the smaller Rhodia Webbie gives it a bloated look that is more cumbersome due to the fact that it does not lay flat... too much glue in the spine of the book! Does anyone have better experience with the smaller sized newer 3rd edition webnotebook?

• 8 months later...

I bought an A5 Rhodia Webbie to gather in one volume the best quotations I've collected over the years in various notebooks, on paper scraps, or highlighted, underlined, or circled in my books. I've transcribed into it for an hour or so every day for a couple of weeks. And I love my Webbie. I love everything about it. Its major features—paper, leatherette cover, construction quality, even the strap, which is tight and lays flat against the back cover when you're writing in it—set the bar incredibly high for competitor notebooks. I realize the quest to find the perfect paper seems neverending, but I can't imagine writing on anything better than the paper in my Rhodia Webbie. I've already ordered two more.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I love Rhodia products and have used them for years. While I love my large size Webbie, I was surprised that the paper didn't hold up so well to my MB 149 B filled with Noodler's OMB. That is basically the only ink I used and any notebook and paper must do well with it. While the paper didn't feather, there was enough bleedthrough to make me skip a few pages. I was also not so excited about the extra width and the rather thick cover. So, my search for 'my' notebook continued and I ended up with the incredible Model 336 from Design.y in Japan, along with a few of the Midori MD notebooks.

I ordered the unlined version from Goulet Pens after reading this review and received it yesterday. I really like it. Although I don't plan to start using it until I fill my current journal, I must say I have started writing bigger in an attempt to speed up the process.

Using wider margins helps too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Webnotebook yesterday and I love it. The paper is so smooth and nice. It makes me want to write, which is a good thing. I will definitely buy another.

• 3 months later...

I have filled a Web Notebook for about 1/2 now, and i must say: it is the best paper I've ever written on.

However, I wish it would lay more flat. Paper is very smooth and no feathering problems. Nice books.

Poetry I write: http://eendichter.nl (mostly english, occasional dutch)