Pelikan M1000

Lehnsherr

It has been some time since I wrote about something and had the sudden urge to write about my latest acquisition, the Pelikan M1000. Well I guess most members would have known this pen for sure so I won't say too much about it except for my personal views.

Size

Substantial in the hand, if you like the M805, high chance you would find the M1000 a great pen to use. While I didn't abandon my M805 totally, I do find myself reaching out for the M1000 more often.

Weight

Surprisingly, although much bigger, there is not much increase in weight over the M805 and I would say sometimes I felt that both had the same weight. I do not know how Pelikan does that but it's great and that makes posting the cap for writing possible for me.

Nib

The 3cm (almost) long nib is majestically decorated and very wet. Took me quite some days to get used to it due to the semi-flex properties. Unable to use it with more saturated inks since I have no time to wait for it to dry during note taking in lectures, I had to pair it up with either Pelikan's 4001 or Parker's Quink, which are some of the drier inks I can find easily. Yes it restricts the color that I can get to use but well...I feel that a business color is more suitable to the M1000...moreover the wet nib meant a higher refilling rate (I had to fill it daily!) and cheaper 4001's and Quinks are more cost effective this way.

Filling system

I guess nothing much can be said here....piston filler with brass parts like the M805

Overall I am very happy with it and enjoy using it, especially for some variations in handwriting. :roflmho:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4024/dsc02700o.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8827/dsc02701v.jpg

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2421/dsc02698lo.jpg

Currently Using: Pelikan M805

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lehnsherr

• Pen2009

• breaker

• lewis

Very nice review, thank you! I've been looking into the M800's but have not yet considered the M1000... It looks like It might be a bit big for me. Still, a gorgeous pen regardless!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

The M1000 is a grand pen. I see that yours in an EF nib. I've got M1000s in medium and broad nibs but, certainly, if I were using the pen for note taking, I'd go down to a fine. However, for letters and general writing the larger nibs provide a magnificent writing tool.

Thank you for taking the time to add a review. This is one fountain pen that I can confidently recommend and add a hearty "Here, here..." to your review.

I already have two M10x0, one in OM and the other one in B, and I must agree the M1000 is a great pen (I used a EF MB149 as my only daily pen for long years, and must say they are at same level).

Only reason I have not a third one in F, is I'm waiting/hoping for another color variant...

I have also a M800 (clear demo, no etchings), and it is quite easier to carry, but the nib on the M1000....

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

This was a helpful review for me because the writing sample showed me that EF seems to render the lettering on page nicely. Is the EF quite smooth or does it lend a bit of scratch? Can you write quickly with it, or does it flex too much to do that with such a fine point?

I used to have an M1000 fine nib, and never tried an EF M1000 nib.

Nice personal take on the Pelikan Souveran M1000! No ifs ands or buts about said fountain pen. :happyberet:

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Great review! Many opinions about the same pen is very important for those who want to buy.

I've been using my M1000 Green Striated M nib for two years and, since then, it become my best writer. It has a buttery smooth and soft (or springy)nib, which provides an absolutely pleasure on writing experience. I can compare with my 90's Montblanc 149 and both are two of the best pens, but IMO 149 is 9,0(zero to 10,0) or 9,5 and my M1000 is 10,0. "She" is excellent in all parameters.

This was a helpful review for me because the writing sample showed me that EF seems to render the lettering on page nicely. Is the EF quite smooth or does it lend a bit of scratch? Can you write quickly with it, or does it flex too much to do that with such a fine point?

I used to have an M1000 fine nib, and never tried an EF M1000 nib.

Thanks to all for reading my small write up

and to answer Basset's queries:

The EF nib that I received is smooth right out of the box and has no scratch on paper, probably due to the high ink output. (I am using Quink Blue-black with it and has written on most types of paper I came across without problems)

I can write quick enough to keep up with lectures after I got used to the nib, but I can never be as quick as using the M805. I also didn't experience any "accidental flex" during writing so I would say it doesn't flex when you don't want it to.

:)

Edited by Lehnsherr

Currently Using: Pelikan M805

Thanks for your review. I agree that multiple opinions of a pen model are quite useful.

For those of us who like larger pens, the M-1000 is a great addition to the pen stable. I have three, two green striated and one black, one M and two B nibs. I love the writing characteristics of those nibs. That semi-flex property is so pleasant against paper. I say all the time that I feel more that I am painting letters than writing them.

Dry inks are a good idea whith the M-1000 nibs. The new Pelikan "Edelstein" inks are very dry for the most part, and might be a good idea to check out. There are some initial reviews of these inks on the "Inky Thoughts" and "Ink Comparisons" forums.

Great review and nice pictures. The only trouble, is this is compelling me to spend money!! :gaah:

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

The m1000 is one of my favorite writers, thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

It has been some time since I wrote about something and had the sudden urge to write about my latest acquisition, the Pelikan M1000. Well I guess most members would have known this pen for sure so I won't say too much about it except for my personal views.

Size

Substantial in the hand, if you like the M805, high chance you would find the M1000 a great pen to use. While I didn't abandon my M805 totally, I do find myself reaching out for the M1000 more often.

Weight

Surprisingly, although much bigger, there is not much increase in weight over the M805 and I would say sometimes I felt that both had the same weight. I do not know how Pelikan does that but it's great and that makes posting the cap for writing possible for me.

Nib

The 3cm (almost) long nib is majestically decorated and very wet. Took me quite some days to get used to it due to the semi-flex properties. Unable to use it with more saturated inks since I have no time to wait for it to dry during note taking in lectures, I had to pair it up with either Pelikan's 4001 or Parker's Quink, which are some of the drier inks I can find easily. Yes it restricts the color that I can get to use but well...I feel that a business color is more suitable to the M1000...moreover the wet nib meant a higher refilling rate (I had to fill it daily!) and cheaper 4001's and Quinks are more cost effective this way.

Filling system

I guess nothing much can be said here....piston filler with brass parts like the M805

Overall I am very happy with it and enjoy using it, especially for some variations in handwriting. :roflmho:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4024/dsc02700o.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8827/dsc02701v.jpg

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2421/dsc02698lo.jpg

nice review on a very nice pen

Cogito ergo sum

• 2 years later...

Thanks to all of you who posted here. I have read reviews on the M1000 and the MB 149, it seems that many vote for M1000 with respect to overall quality and some vote for MB 149 for appearence. Furthermore I can buy M1000 for about €440,- whereas MB 149 will set me back €650,-. So cost and quality wise M1000 is an easy pick.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 1 year later...

After having owned several pens from both MB and Pelikan, the practical side of me started using Pelikan more than MB. I am awaiting a M1000 Black (EF) now even though I already have a M1000 Green (F). After one of my 149s has suffered a piston seizer (and a piston nob fell off with a piston stuck in the barrel), I decided not to go for another 149s and picked up an M1000 instead. In addition to the high quality you can expect from the M1000, the user serviceability of Pelikan has won me over finally.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Great review and very good pictures. The M1000 and the Mont Blanc 149 can be compared without problems. The piston filler system with brass parts is one of the best filling systems of all times. It lasts a long time and it fills the pen with substantial amount of ink. Easy to clean too.

Congratulations!

Edited by frolland

It seems M1000s are in short supply (at least in Japan) as several web retailers said Pelikan Japan are out of stock. However, the higher priced M1005s are in stock. But, I could not find an EF with that model. Is there a supply shortage of M1000 (EF) in the black trim currently?

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)