Sailor Calligraphy

franzrogar

SAILOR, "Special Script Calligraphy Pen" (AKA "Calligraphy")

This pen is cheap, in 20-30 EUR range, so the materials are cheap too. First impression when you look at it is that it's well done. First impression when you touch it it's cheap. I'd made this because all others reviews didn't mention and show its use as a calligraphy instrument but a writer's one.

1. Appearance & Design (8) - Classic model

Dark blue color (may seem violet or black depending the light). Clip and ring golded. The engraves in the rig are properly done. Good looking. A classic design.

2. Construction & Quality (6) - Cheap but resistent

It's cheap. It's been in my hand just for 3 hours and the golded parts are still golded (my perspiration is acid) so it has some quality.

3. Weight & Dimensions (6) - Small and lightweight

It weights nothing. Seriously, it seems if you left window open it could fly away. Scary.

4. Nib & Performance (9) - Dry and smooth, difficult to write with it

The nib is golden (not "gold") and says "Sailor F-2". It's a strange nib as it's a Sailor's pen after all. It's dry and smooth. The stroke width is controlled changin' the pen angle respect to the paper, and that's the hard part. To be useful you have to use it as if it were a brush but without applying too much preassure (it's a fountain pen, remember?)

5. Filling System & Maintenance (8) - Proprietary Sailor cartridge/converter

It's the propietary and standard Sailor cartdrige/converter. I've used a standard Sailor converter directly in it.

6. Cost & Value (8) - No alternatives

A calligraphy pen for 20-30 EUR wich works like a brush? Nice deal if you want to do calligraphy. If you want to write with it as if it were another fountain pen... then, this pen is not for you.

7. Conclusion (Final score: 7.5) - A nice calligraphy pen

I think it's a good pen, for calligraphy, of course. I would buy it again if needed.

Image info:

• Paper 60 g/m^2 (ink did NOT cross to the other paper side :yikes: even at the broader strokes)
  • "Geronimo Gil" font (FP and ink info) created by my (shameless self-promotion XD)

post-48188-044271600 1285075533.jpg

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• franzrogar

• lovemy51

• Hospitalier

Here're some other pictures:

1 - Pen box, pen and three cartridges:

post-48188-025621800 1285174119.jpg

2 - Stroke width and different strokes (double lines) based on angle:

post-48188-099738100 1285174126.jpg

Edited by franzrogar
Thanks for reading.

thx for the review, franzrogar. that style of nib is called "fude".

he aquí una revista de un compatriota tuyo: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/163842-sailor-fude-pen-40/page__p__1635163__hl__fude__fromsearch__1#entry1635163

(here's a review from one of your country man)

me gusta mas la pluma tuya con "clip"!!!

(i like your pen better with the clip)

ciao,

(no translation :happyberet: )

• 5 years later...

So, this is my first post, de facto introducing myself.

Just received delivery of the Sailor calligraphy pen about an hour or so ago, and have just a few things to say further to franzrogar's comments.

I agree entirely that it looks posh but feels less so, however, when there is a full load of ink inside and literally all you are feeling is the weight of the ink, you can appreciate that actually the pen is very well built and if it was carbon instead of plastic you'd be paying hundreds instead of tens.

I filled my converter with Platinum Carbon black...

If you are one of these peculiar people who must have more than one fountain pen, do not go without this piece; you will fall in love!