Visconti Ripple Le Silver/clear Model

shrinknib

Well, finally my first review.

It has been some time now that I have been here and I have learnt so much from many helpful and extremely generous people.

I am very grateful.

I would certainly never have found a love of Italian pens were it not for this site.

After my recent posting of my RIPPLES I was encouraged to do a review.

I would never have found this pen, or this series of limited edition Ripples were it not for BRYANT"S HELP. I was lucky enough to get the Silver/clear and the Vermeil gold, both with Palladium nibs and they are a joy to use in every way.

My review is mainly in written form as this pen is such a pleasure with which to write, but I ask you to excuse the average writing and photography.

I will try and improve at both for next time.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0742.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0736.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0743.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0735.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0744.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0731.jpg

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0741.jpg

This is a comparison in size of the 1950's MB 149, the Ripple, the Visconti Romanica in Silver

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/jezstone2002/DSC_0739.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed this nearly as much as I love this pen.

Please feel free to provide feedback about the pen or the review.

I would welcome it!!

Many thanks

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrinknib

• ozwill45

• Ghost Plane

• tanalasta

Thank you for a wonderful review. I especially enjoy the photos of the pen. Not a big fan of the ink choice though. Pink :embarrassed_smile: ? The Ripple is a fantastic pen and I think a non LE version at a non LE price would sell really good. I'd really like to own one at one point in my life. Too bad that point seems to be a long, long looooong way into the future. Distant future...

I've always thought that happiness is related, among other things, with the small gifts we make to ourselves at the end of the day. They are a sign that we are or were doing something right, with our career at least. Considering this and the last photo I'd say you are pretty happy...

Mihai

NO

Thank you for a great review.............what wonderful pens - and I love that ink - and just found my own unopened bottle, which will be used for the next fill of a special pen!

Your photos are very educational as I love to see the sample as much as the pen it comes from.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Great review and like the others I applaud the ink choice - it would almost make editing a pleasure.

almost

Wow!

Nice looking pen. (I love my Viscontis (Viscontii?))

I like that ink too.

I love them too!

Have too many and can't stop.

I really like the new nibs.

Thank you for a wonderful review. I especially enjoy the photos of the pen. Not a big fan of the ink choice though. Pink :embarrassed_smile: ? The Ripple is a fantastic pen and I think a non LE version at a non LE price would sell really good. I'd really like to own one at one point in my life. Too bad that point seems to be a long, long looooong way into the future. Distant future...

I've always thought that happiness is related, among other things, with the small gifts we make to ourselves at the end of the day. They are a sign that we are or were doing something right, with our career at least. Considering this and the last photo I'd say you are pretty happy...

Mihai

We'll call the ink purplish....its true qualities don't really come out in the photos I don't think.

It is actually a nice colour to look at through the barrel....endlessly.

Thank you for your kind comments.

I know that when I have this pen in my hand I am indeed happy, and I hope I can make my patients happy too.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sigmund Freud

Thank you for a great review.............what wonderful pens - and I love that ink - and just found my own unopened bottle, which will be used for the next fill of a special pen!

Your photos are very educational as I love to see the sample as much as the pen it comes from.

Thank you Chris!

This factory stub is a joy to write with.

I have several in the Visconti and one is a B nib stubbed by Mike M.

I do like Mike's nib a great deal but there is some serious spring to this nib, so I don't need to be too gentle.

It is a lovely ink, a beautiful colour I should use more...they have a thing about that in hospitals..

Great review and like the others I applaud the ink choice - it would almost make editing a pleasure.

almost

Nearly!

editing...argh!!

I am having a break from trainees for a year and all their assignments and case reports...

Thanks for your kind words, I think this pen deserves some special ink.

Sigmund Freud

Just a brief sidetrack if I may. Do you find the J.Herbin inks in Melbourne anywhere?

I'll be there for a week in late October. I was intending to visit Pen City.

Hi

I have bought mine from Brian Goulet (an FPN member) who does a discount for FPN members.

I bought the whole set and am still slowly working me way through!!

Pen City have a great range of Noodlers and some Omas but no MB or Herbin.

I don't know if any retail places sell it here, most people I think buy it on the net...

There are other sites if you'd like more info on finding Herbin inks..

Pen City is lovely- some people aren't sure of the service on occasion but John or David will look after you very well.

They are pretty happy to let me dip pens and try them- and they have a wide selection of brands.

Sigmund Freud

www.notemaker.com.au and it's sister shop www.inscriber.com.au are two Australian places to order quality stationary and inks (inc. J'Herbin) online.

I also purchase from Brian Goulet.

On topic: Excellent review and I've been looking at the ripples a very long time. Those are lovely photos and do justice to a fantastic writing instrument. J'Herbin is also a very safe ink :thumbup:

A nice trio of pens.

Pen City do have a very large range but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of service ... but then the larger pen shops often ignore a casually dressed chap... and I was actually looking to buy something that day! Oh well ... will have to ask for John or David next time I'm in Melbourne.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Have to concur. As the proud servant of 6 Ripples [they own me!], I have to say the Pd nibs are the best. I have an 18k stub and 18k B on my black and blue Ripples in addition to 3 Pd BBs and a Pd Stub on the Chatterley Ripples. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr! They're getting some serious mileage on manuscripts and Herbin inks keep them happy. Even the ones with the white feeds. :cloud9:

Anyone who ever gets a chance to nab one of these - do! You'll be using it the rest of your life!

Great review and lovely pen . The 1.3 stub does not seem as broad as I would have expected - judging from the size of your handwriting against the lines on the page it looks more like a medium stub - is this right ?

Depends on how you hold it. Because of the precision of line variation, it reads much more clearly than a ball nib of the same size would write.

On topic: Excellent review and I've been looking at the ripples a very long time. Those are lovely photos and do justice to a fantastic writing instrument. J'Herbin is also a very safe ink :thumbup:

A nice trio of pens.

Thanks mate!

Very good of you.

This is a great pen and I have three of them. They are excellent companions to my MB's.

Hi Shrinknib,

Fantabulous ripple review and great pics too ! One review down and only 2 more to go !!

:thumbup:

Thanks1 Very nice of you to say that!

2 more?

What??? Is that for each of the other Ripples?? :embarrassed_smile:

I think I will let GP do the next one- she will have 6 more to choose from

Sigmund Freud

What a pen! Love the design of it. I also like a good stub nib.

Thank you for the review! I think your photography is just fine. :)

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Have to concur. As the proud servant of 6 Ripples [they own me!], I have to say the Pd nibs are the best. I have an 18k stub and 18k B on my black and blue Ripples in addition to 3 Pd BBs and a Pd Stub on the Chatterley Ripples. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr! They're getting some serious mileage on manuscripts and Herbin inks keep them happy. Even the ones with the white feeds. :cloud9:

Anyone who ever gets a chance to nab one of these - do! You'll be using it the rest of your life!

Yay!

I thought you would like this GP. Finally got around to doing this.

Feels good to contribute in some small way after all the learning I've been doing here off everyone else.

And it is probably half your fault anyway- whoever heard of a stub nib!!!

I like the lighter colour inks in this pen as they just look divine.

Great review and lovely pen . The 1.3 stub does not seem as broad as I would have expected - judging from the size of your handwriting against the lines on the page it looks more like a medium stub - is this right ?

I would say it is pretty broad.

I have a black Ripple in Pd B nib stubbed to perfection by Mike M and that is not as broad ( waiting to get it back from Bry but that is another Visconti QC story..)

It is broader and has more line variation than a MB M nib stubbed I recently used.'

It is awesome. I have a couple other PD stubs and they are great.

If I could complain about them I would!

Sigmund Freud

What a pen! Love the design of it. I also like a good stub nib.

Thank you for the review! I think your photography is just fine. :)

Regards,

This is a lovely pen.

Thank you for your generous words about the pen and the review

I hope you get a chance to have or use one soon.

best wishes

Sigmund Freud

Great review! I agree with you re: the lighter colored inks in this pen: I love to watch the ink sloshing around, and the lighter colors are more visible. I'm going to have to try Larmes de Cassis; I love that ink, but I never thought to put it in my Ripple!

Hey man!!!

Great review, I love the photos and the ink combination!

One question, how does it look the ink dancing in the pen :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: Have you tried turquoise ink with it :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: