Edison Herald Grande

watch_art

After just over a month (or less) I got my Edison Herald Grande in the mail yesterday afternoon! I gotta say my expectations were really high, especially after seeing the photos that Brian took for me. This pen is a ridiculous thing of beauty. I can't help but stare at it while I write or doodle (what little I've done in one night) and my lines sort of go off in strange directions.

I couldn't get the box opened quick enough, though, and the red leather(ette?) pen case was beautiful. And long. But this pen takes up every bit of the space inside it. There was also a smell of burnt plastic that I now think is quite nice (since I can associate it with this pen).

Communication with Brian was great. I must've changed my mind 20 times about what I wanted the pen to look like and then the nib I could afford changed dramatically. The flexy nib will come another day, maybe in another pen! :thumbup:

But stunning barely describes this thing.

Appearance and Design.

I'd call this thing a work of art, especially with the engraving on it. I was lucky that I got to get it. The customer in line ahead of me had a $37 credit which he told Brian to give to the next person in line, so I only needed another $13 to afford the engraving. SWEET! The feel of it is really nice too, and it looks kind of like cracked ice. I really wanted a satin/matte finish. I was expecting a little bit of texture to the whole pen, kind of like a Lamy Safari, but it's much smoother than that. It still has a really dull finish which I just love. I don't know how I'll ever buy another shiny pen again after this. I suppose if I do get a 149 down the road I could send it to Brian so he could dull it for me. Maybe even add texture! :P

But since I wanted the engraving I had to choose plastic instead of ebonite which is what I kind of wanted but for no good reason really. I suppose I'll still get an ebonite pen one of these days, though.

Barrel and Cap engraving/texture:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/4956927178_51d41ce0d1_z.jpg

edison 005 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

I kinda wish he had a black clip for his pens though. That would look so sick!! Especially a matte black clip. :puddle:

Cap and Clip:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/4956927016_6224876c15_z.jpg

edison 003 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

Construction and Quality.

This is a solid pen. The threads on this pen go together perfectly. The section and barrel screw together better than my Pilot 742 could ever dream of. I'd never want to drop it, but I think it'd be okay from a short fall.

Weight and Dimensions.

It's a honkin huge cigar chaped pen. From his website:

Weight w/ Cap 26g

Weight w/o Cap 15g

Cap Diameter .675"

Body Diametter .575:

Length Capped 6 1/2"

Length Uncapped 5 3/8"

I didn't know what all that really meant until I put my hands on it, but this is the perfect size for me. I can't imagine anything feeling more perfect. I thought the 742 was a good size, but this dwarfs. I wanted a fat section and I got it. Straight section too. I wouldn't post it, though. One, it adds a few inches and my hands aren't big enough for that. Two, it doesn't really feel secure on the back of the pen, and three, I really don't want to scratch it up. But it fits my hand so well as it is I wouldn't want to post it anyway.

Size capped:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/4956336667_d5e2b47f69_z.jpg

edison 008 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

Size uncapped:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4956336951_225970350d_z.jpg

edison 009 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

Nib and Performance.

I asked for fine and got it. I asked for wet and really got it. Holy cow this thing is perfect. This nib is so smooth with just a TIIIINY bit of feedback, just how I like it. Reminds me a bit of my old Sheaffer Balance. The nib even has a bit of a snooty upturned nose which I didn't expect at all. Looks cool though.

Nib:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4956926828_2ba4b72972_z.jpg

edison 001 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

Filling and Maintenance.

I asked for an eyedropper and got it, but also to my surprise he included a piston converter. It's a nice solid converter, too. Schmidt. I haven't inked it up like it was meant to be yet, but I will very soon. When I got it last night that was the quickest way to put ink into it, so I went for it, of course.

Cost and Value.

I spent $295 and don't feel one bit bad about it. It's just a beautiful pen and writes amazingly well. I love it. Go buy your own.

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• stevlight

• Twoodi

Congratulations Watch_Art! clap1.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif

That is an amazing pen! I love the engraved finish on it! Wow, it really is a huge beast of a pen isn't it! yikes.gif

I'm sure your going to enjoy this pen for years and years to come!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Great review and congrats on such a fantastic pen - I am delighted for you :) I also agree that a black clip would be amazing!! Maybe next time ;)

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Thanks! And there definitely will be a next time. I will eventually get my 149, if for nothing else but the humongous nib, but I'm really in love with this Edison.

I LOVE the engraving--post some drawings with this beauty. Enjoy! This is a steel nib?

Edison pens ROCK!

www.stevelightart.com

glad you got one!!! great review, i really want an eddie one day too. also, i have the same vp and 51 :) (though my date on the 51 is probably different ha).

very, very nice review

Great review.

I really like the size of your pen. I've come to appreciate large pens, which is kind of funny because I have small hands. But ever since I purchased my Densho, I now prefer big pens. They're more comfortable for the way I write.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best video in the world. I was really groggy and tired, sort of out of it when I made it... but here ya go!!! :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCwTQMpUaSM

Edited by watch_art

Congrats on that amazing looking pen.

Love those NIb pics - photos and sketched.

Looks like a Waverly style nib.

Edited by ozwill45

Great looking pen! Brian did a Pearl for me in June with this same engraved/grooved finsih except mine is on a black polished acrylic. I love the look of the pen but now I think the matte finish is even more fitting for this engraving.

Enjoy,

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers

The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

Great looking pen! Brian did a Pearl for me in June with this same engraved/grooved finsih except mine is on a black polished acrylic. I love the look of the pen but now I think the matte finish is even more fitting for this engraving.

Enjoy,

Tony

That's what I thought, too. And I gotta say THANKS to whoever passed their $37 credit on to me. Brian told me that the customer who was in line before had the credit, and that it was to be passed on to the next person in line, which happened to be me! So THANKS to you! Whoever you are! Without you, I wouldn't have gotten the engraving!

Edited by watch_art