• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• lovemy51

• richardandtracy

• jniforat

How would you compare this to, say, a Hero 616? I just got one of these and they seem like nice pens for a few bucks. I'm just wondering how a 616 compares to a Jinhao.

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

i like the jinhao better (and the number is 321). the hero 616 i had was a bit heftier, still lighter than a 51, but the nib had a much smaller sweet spot. it was a pain to write with while the jinhao is a joy.

thx, WA! i do think this one beats a lot of the hooded hero's!!! it's well built (you probably mentioned this in your written comments, but i can't read them... :roflmho: )

I agree with the review in that I think this is the best non P51/P61 I have come across (I must eventually get a H100/1000 to try). It's quite a bit better built than the Hero 616, 329 & 330. The pen is a bit better than the Dux 612 & Bahadur 612.

I think it's an improvement on the P21 S in that its cap is as good, its barrel is just as sturdy but the connector thread is better. The only less good thing is that the filler feels a little flimsy compared to the Parker, but it does protect more of the sac.

My biggest complaint is that it only comes in a fine nib. I would use it much more regularly if the nib could be a medium or fatter. However, I do use mine more than I use my P100 because it's nicer to write with, having a better length, weight and girth.

I have not found any bits on my clip that snag or scratch, and the clip strength is very re-assuring, because I know that the pen will not fall from my pocket whatever angle I get into (very important when hanging over the edge of a roof for inspections!).

Regards,

Richard.

Yeah the clip is TOUGH, maybe mine just has some weird burrs or something. As far as the protector, I took it off and chunked it so I could get a full fill.

Also, the little gap between the hood and the nib give it a little give. Not spring, but you can definitely feel it, and it's nice.

I have a sunshine wagon-load of Jinhao's. Not sure about any model numbers. I just bought 10-15 on eBay one weekend because they were a few bucks a pen and I wanted to try different sizes and weights and find out what I liked and disliked. I must have been unlucky because none of them write that well. For Chinese pens, I really like a bundle of 10 Hero's 343 hand painted pens I bought from eBay. I have 3 inked and they are as smooth of writers as my Parker 51. The 10 cost me $20 delivered from HK and for $2 a pen, I smile as I write. :-) I have 3 Lamy Al-Stars on the way and if they write like my Safari does, I look forward to them too. Cheap pens can be a nice experience at times.

Take care,

Tim Verpoorten (Surfbits)

http://www.surfbits.com : Blog

http://www.macreviewcast.com : Podcast

Except for the weight, this is nearly as good as a 51. Except for the filling system too. And the cheap feel of it. But it's a GREAT little writer.

Where did you pick this pen up?

Found it on ebay. I've had most of the Hero "51" copies and will probably end up getting this one. Thanks for the review.

Edited by WillSW

hi, watch art!

here is a terrible pic of the red jinhao with a couple of parkers for size comparison.

from the left: P51 special, Jinhao 321, P61, P51 vac.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P9050041.jpg

( :roflmho: man, one can't even see the numbers on the ruler. my pic taking abbilities are as bad as "you know who's" handwriting :ltcapd: )

any ways, the jinhao and the p61 are almost the same size in length (capped) and girth. the p61 is thicker by 1mm.

I'd say they're definitely worth it. See if you can get them shipped together to save on shipping.

... and if you get them shipped together, please tell me how you did it. I ordered two pens yesterday. I poked around on ebay but couldn't find anyway to avoid paying full shipping for each item.

I'd say they're definitely worth it. See if you can get them shipped together to save on shipping.

... and if you get them shipped together, please tell me how you did it. I ordered two pens yesterday. I poked around on ebay but couldn't find anyway to avoid paying full shipping for each item.

If the seller offers combined shipping, you'd have to message him/her and inform him/her that you are looking at his/her other lots. Most sellers (at least of all the ones I've encountered) usually only give about a week or two for you to finish bidding on the other lots.

-- Moo

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update. Gave this pen to a friend of mine and it wouldn't fill. Took the barrel off and WHOA, the breather/filler tube had come loose and was free inside the sac. So I pinched the tube through the sac, pushed it into the feed, causing the feed to fall out. Lucky me the nib stayed put. So I shoved the tube and feed together and shoved it all back in. It's nice and tight, and fills completely now.