Graf Von Faber-castell Classic Review

rogerico

I've always loved Graf von Faber-Castell fountain pens. The Classic one is perfect for those who do not like the "torpedo" FP. It's modern, perfectly designed, with precious woods, platinum plated, a beautiful cap... And as my girlfriend loves them too, she decided to make me a gift for my birthday: a Classic Graf von Faber-Castell in Grenadille wood. Here is my review.

1. Appearance & Design: 9/10 Harmony, good taste, elegance, simplicity. I do not ever get tired of admiring such a perfectly designed FP. I must say that the design and the appearance are the strong point of this FP. Just the dark wood and platinum plated.

2. Construction & Quality: 8/10 Nothing to say. This FP is well done. Every part seems well built, polished, resistant and durable. But I put an 8 because of the plastic piece near the nib. I think they could find a better solution, as It isn't a cheap FP. Another reason: I had to change the first FP we bought because the nib didn't work correctly. Obviously, they changed it without problem, but suddenly I felt insecure with this brand.

3. Weight & Dimensions: 8/10 Well, actually there isn't any problem with that FP. But I love big FP and this one is a bit too small for me. It is a pity that this brand don't make a bigger FP apart from the special edition of every year. Because of the sterling silver, this FP is not light althoug I feel it very comfortable in my hand, even caped as I used. It's a pleasure to hold this FP.

4. Nib & Performance: 6/10 No, there isn't any problem. My pen has a F nib and it writes very well. It does never scratch, It flows on paper very nicely, wet enough. It never fails. So...? Well, this is difficult to say, but in my opinion this nib has no soul. My Duofold EF nib is a little scratchy but has a soul, it never leaves me indifferent. This Graf von Faber-Castell nib is well done, never fails, but doesn't make me feel anything special. It's a goog worker. That's all. I know that this is a very subjective opinion, but I must be sincere.

5. Filling System & Maintenance: 8/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. Easy to clean.

6. Cost & Value: 7/10 It is not a cheap FP, but the price might be right. If only it was a little bigger...

7. Conclusion: Final score 7/10 As for me the nib is very important, I will put a low score. Maybe it is unfair, I know.

Edited by rogerico

Roger

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• clear1

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting review. Thank you!

I am personally not into the style of Faber-castell fountain pens but I'm glad you like it! Of course, I'm very picky about the way MOST things look, so I'm sure most people find this pen very attractive. I guess for me it looks... top heavy, yes that's the word. It just looks a little big at the top...

I understand what you mean by the nib not having any "soul". Some of my very cheap ($1.50) pens feel the same way. There's just nothing special about the way they write.

A question though - How much is the MSRP on this pen?

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Hello Rogerico

I have this same pen, and when I received I felt the same as you about the nib. I even had some flow problems..etc.

However after two years of it sitting on the shelf and trying a handful of different inks I finally thought of selling it.

And then... I was at a local pen shop in Toronto, Laywine's(no affiliation), and I was looking for some blue ink. With the help of a fantastic clerk and fellow fp aficionado, I decided to get some J. Herbin "Eclat de Saphir".

When I returned it home, I was looking at my pens wondering which would be the first to taste the new elixir. Then remembering something the clerk had told me, the GVFC Classic popped to mind.

Wow!!!

It is now one of the best pens I own. It feels like a fine tuned sports car driving all over 32lb paper, Rhodia, Clairefontaine...etc. It got soul.

Maybe your pen just needs the right octane ink to get it into the curves!

I hope this helps as mine was almost on the auction block but now it has earned a place in my garage.

Inked.

A question though - How much is the MSRP on this pen?

Regards,

The MSRP is 420 €, just what I paid.

Roger

Roger

Hello Rogerico

I have this same pen, and when I received I felt the same as you about the nib. I even had some flow problems..etc.

However after two years of it sitting on the shelf and trying a handful of different inks I finally thought of selling it.

And then... I was at a local pen shop in Toronto, Laywine's(no affiliation), and I was looking for some blue ink. With the help of a fantastic clerk and fellow fp aficionado, I decided to get some J. Herbin "Eclat de Saphir".

When I returned it home, I was looking at my pens wondering which would be the first to taste the new elixir. Then remembering something the clerk had told me, the GVFC Classic popped to mind.

Wow!!!

It is now one of the best pens I own. It feels like a fine tuned sports car driving all over 32lb paper, Rhodia, Clairefontaine...etc. It got soul.

Maybe your pen just needs the right octane ink to get it into the curves!

I hope this helps as mine was almost on the auction block but now it has earned a place in my garage.

Inked.

Thanks for your comment, Inked. I won't sell it, and I will remember what you say about the ink.

Roger

Yes, a very nice pen indeed !

I used to own one with penambucoo wood body. I like the aesthetics of this pen, the remarkable finishes in its nib, barrel, section, and cap really exudes quality.

However, I prefer to write with my cap posted, and with its metal cap, the entire setup seems to be too top heavy. I sold my pen mainly because of this reason.

I don't dispute your Review (since I don't own any GVFC pens) nor your right to write it.

And I don't intend to be antagonistic or confrontational.

I just don't understand giving a pen that "never fails" a poor rating because it doesn't make you "feel anything special".

I don't dispute your Review (since I don't own any GVFC pens) nor your right to write it.

And I don't intend to be antagonistic or confrontational.

I just don't understand giving a pen that "never fails" a poor rating because it doesn't make you "feel anything special".

Well, I admitted that maybe I'm unfair. However, a 7 is not bad, isn't? I just try to be rigorous. When I find a perfect FP I'll tell you. Thanks, anyway, for your opinion

Roger

Thanks for the review, think that I have the same pen. Mine has some intermittent starting issues. It also has some tarnish on the nib section that really does not want to go away.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PM38ANi1I/AAAAAAAANtM/wGvY1k3HE0U/s912/P1030320.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Thanks for the review, think that I have the same pen. Mine has some intermittent starting issues. It also has some tarnish on the nib section that really does not want to go away.http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PM38ANi1I/AAAAAAAANtM/wGvY1k3HE0U/s912/P1030320.JPG

What's happened with this pen, or how old is this pen?

Thanks for the review, think that I have the same pen. Mine has some intermittent starting issues. It also has some tarnish on the nib section that really does not want to go away.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PM38ANi1I/AAAAAAAANtM/wGvY1k3HE0U/s912/P1030320.JPG

Looking at your pen, I believe you may have one of the first generation "Graf Collection" (as it was originally called) pens, where Faber-Castell still used silver rather than rhodium.

I own both and only the initial silver plated series ever tarnished, but compared to rhodium they have a warmer lustre, so it never really bothered me.

I am more than content with these pens; contrary to the reviewer, I find the nibs outstanding, they never skipped, they write dependably and provide exactly the feedback that I like. I own several Faber-Castells from the Guilloche and Graf collection series and consider their nibs in fact one of their strongest points.

Even when I haven't used them for weeks or months they start without failing.

Frankly, it wouldn't occur to me to downgrade a nib that admittedly is well done, never fails, doesn't scratch, but doesn't make the owner feel "anything special". To say so, is a highly subjective verdict and I would rather strive to judge a pen objectively in a way that other pen users can easily duplicate and relate to.

B.

Edited by beluga

Frankly, it wouldn't occur to me to downgrade a nib that admittedly is well done, never fails, doesn't scratch, but it doesn't make the owner feel "anything special".

To say so, is a highly subjective verdict and I would rather strive to judge a pen objectively in a way that other pen users coan duplicate and relate to.

B."

I can't say you're not right. But I recognize that I can't judge a pen only objectively. For example, if I find that a pen is a thing of beauty that can not be objective. Everyone may have a different opinion. About the nib performance, I am objective when I say that it never fails, never scratches, is well done, and I amb subjective when I affirm that for me a real good nib must make me feel something special, which is not that case. Perhaps everything is much more simple: I do not have a pretty calligraphy and, while the Duofold nibs help me to improve it, the GVFC nib makes my letters worse.

Roger

A little wierd, but that seems to be a screw top. Mine is guilloche and a snap ca. Also the section on yours looks at least twice the length of mine. Ta. PS, Classy and a reliable workhorse.

The Classic (a bigger pen) has a screw cap, the Guilloche a snap-on. Nevertheless, they both have identical sections and nibs (well, the Guilloche is now plain rhodium plated whereas the Classic is bi-coloured, but they are otherwise the same) and are completely interchangeable. I did not realise this until I had both pens. The screw threads you can see in the pictures above are on the barrel, not the section, which screws inside it.

For myself, I find the G von FC nibs to be their chief glory - right up their with my very best Pelikans, but then everyone likes different things about a nib. Thanks for the review, Rogerico.

John

I've always loved Graf von Faber-Castell fountain pens. The Classic one is perfect for those who do not like the "torpedo" FP. It's modern, perfectly designed, with precious woods, platinum plated, a beautiful cap... And as my girlfriend loves them too, she decided to make me a gift for my birthday: a Classic Graf von Faber-Castell in Grenadille wood. Here is my review.

1. Appearance & Design: 9/10 Harmony, good taste, elegance, simplicity. I do not ever get tired of admiring such a perfectly designed FP. I must say that the design and the appearance are the strong point of this FP. Just the dark wood and platinum plated.

2. Construction & Quality: 8/10 Nothing to say. This FP is well done. Every part seems well built, polished, resistant and durable. But I put an 8 because of the plastic piece near the nib. I think they could find a better solution, as It isn't a cheap FP. Another reason: I had to change the first FP we bought because the nib didn't work correctly. Obviously, they changed it without problem, but suddenly I felt insecure with this brand.

3. Weight & Dimensions: 8/10 Well, actually there isn't any problem with that FP. But I love big FP and this one is a bit too small for me. It is a pity that this brand don't make a bigger FP apart from the special edition of every year. Because of the sterling silver, this FP is not light althoug I feel it very comfortable in my hand, even caped as I used. It's a pleasure to hold this FP.

4. Nib & Performance: 6/10 No, there isn't any problem. My pen has a F nib and it writes very well. It does never scratch, It flows on paper very nicely, wet enough. It never fails. So...? Well, this is difficult to say, but in my opinion this nib has no soul. My Duofold EF nib is a little scratchy but has a soul, it never leaves me indifferent. This Graf von Faber-Castell nib is well done, never fails, but doesn't make me feel anything special. It's a goog worker. That's all. I know that this is a very subjective opinion, but I must be sincere.

5. Filling System & Maintenance: 8/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. Easy to clean.

6. Cost & Value: 7/10 It is not a cheap FP, but the price might be right. If only it was a little bigger...

7. Conclusion: Final score 7/10 As for me the nib is very important, I will put a low score. Maybe it is unfair, I know.

i have the exact same one. along with the limited version walden wood. GvFC definitely makes nice pens. i love wooden FPs and thus my decision to purchase those two. my only complaint is that i wish the weight is not as heavy as it is. for a pen that slim but weights like a thick pen, it doesn't balance well in my hand. i would also prefer the neck/grip area to be thicker for a better grip feel. otherwise, it's a beautiful wooden FP with a nice nib performance.

-rudy-

-rudy-

Rogerico, thanks for the review. There are not many GvFC reviews around, so it's a real contribution.

I tried a lower end Graf (a black Guilloche), and I felt EXACTLY the same about the soullessness thing. Grafs are excellent pens in my opinion though.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

Thank you for a fantastic review, Roger!

I have two questions. Firstly, how did you find the metal section? I'm not keen on metal sections, but have made an exception for the ones on Viscontis. Secondly, what is the difference between Graf von Faber-Castell and Faber-Castell pens? Are they two separate companies?

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Thank you for a fantastic review, Roger!

I have two questions. Firstly, how did you find the metal section? I'm not keen on metal sections, but have made an exception for the ones on Viscontis. Secondly, what is the difference between Graf von Faber-Castell and Faber-Castell pens? Are they two separate companies?

they are the same company. Graf-von Faber Castell is a higher end line of Faber Castell brand. GvFC includes limited edition FPs, while FC includes every day stationaries from FP to pencils to eraser to highlighters, thus cheaper in price.

-rudy-