Noodler's Piston Pen Review

watch_art

So a few quick words before you read.

Small. SMALL. Tiny nib. WAY TINY NIB! Small, thin, skinny barrel. Too small really.

Small. Small. Toothpick. Heroin chic. And also let me say that it's SMALL.

Oh yeah, the clip is garbage.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4913709148_0779f9f192_b.jpg

noodlers piston 001 by watch_art, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4913709580_dec00e94e5_b.jpg

noodlers piston 002 by watch_art, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4913709958_0c5bbee864_b.jpg

noodlers piston 003 by watch_art, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4913710854_08698d13da_b.jpg

noodlers piston 004 by watch_art, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4913105683_499cbdedf7_b.jpg

noodlers piston 005 by watch_art, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4913106431_b06b96b65a_b.jpg

noodlers piston 007 by watch_art, on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4913106805_cd66befa56_b.jpg

noodlers piston 008 by watch_art, on Flickr

Oh yeah, and did I mention that it's REALLY small?

So in conclusion class, it's a good knock around pen. Sure, I've only written these three pages with it, but it seems good except for it's size and the clip, which I'm discarded. But this nib is excellent. Really excellent. The best part of the pen. I'd only replace it for a different size line, not for a better experience, but I doubt I'll ever bother doing that as it's so good. More on EF side in my opinion.

Oh yeah, written on a small Red and Black journal from Wal-Mart.

edit to add:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4913878818_64557c7231_b.jpg

line and size by watch_art, on Flickr

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• 79spitfire

• mstone

• Felix1

Wow, it's very small in comparison to the size of the workhorse VP. Hm, yep, you said small! But, thank you for the review, as I have been contemplating this pen for short travel and for an upcoming hospital stay. I'll be in the hospital at least a week, it appears, and I don't want my good pens going in with me. I have to have something to do when I manage to be awake in there, and it will hopefully be a good time to catch up on some important correspondence - hi Fred, Robert, Clancy - and maybe some journaling, too.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

If you get one with a good nib, it's an excellent writer.

Got mine from Swisher by the way, along with a bottle of Pelikan Blue Black to make it worth the $6 shipping cost.

I think you will be awake most if the time unless you will be getting a private or semi-private room. I have no idea how patients manage to get any rest in a hospital.

watch art excellent review; however I find my noodlers to be more of a medium than an EF.

Good review generally but I didn't see anything on the pen or nib size... can you elaborate?

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

I must have an insensitive smeller, I never noticed any unusual odor until you folks started writing about it. And even then I literally had to put it directly under my nose.

Mine is inked with BSB and actually wrote too wet until I tinkered with it a bit.

But you're right about the size...impossible to write with unless posted.

The clip? I've never clipped it to anything, it's there to keep it from rolling off my desk. embarrassed_smile.gif

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I must have an insensitive smeller, I never noticed any unusual odor until you folks started writing about it. And even then I literally had to put it directly under my nose.

Mine is inked with BSB and actually wrote too wet until I tinkered with it a bit.

But you're right about the size...impossible to write with unless posted.

The clip? I've never clipped it to anything, it's there to keep it from rolling off my desk. embarrassed_smile.gif

Yeah, I only sniffed it to see what it would smell like. I don't notice it unless I try to though.

And yeah, the clip has a function, but I just thought it was too awful looking to keep.

And I REALLY REALLY like how wet it is. It could be a bit wetter actually. :P

I was a bit disappointed with mine as well. It may be a case of pre purchase hype. The nib on it is very smooth and wet, I have mine inked with Noodler's blue black. This pen is small, the size of a Parker Jotter small. The clip isn't that bad for me, I just don't like the way it fits, and it does keep the pen from rolling. As far as the smell it's different, but not that bad. (I swear I've smelled it somewhere else, I just can't place it..) I also had problems with it drying out with Bad Blue Heron, doesn't make for good first impressions.

I just can't help the feeling I need to try the Ebonite version now, in green, :bonk:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

One other thought... Does yours have an inner cap? Mine doesn't and to keep ANY ink from drying out I had to block the vent hole with a bit of bee's wax. :glare:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif

I just can't help the feeling I need to try the Ebonite version now, in green,

Yea, I've got one of those as well...brown...inked with Noodler's Walnut.

It's a much more satisfying pen, the extra weight is quite helpful and the nib is perfect.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I think you will be awake most if the time unless you will be getting a private or semi-private room. I have no idea how patients manage to get any rest in a hospital.

Heh, last time (almost 3 years to the month), I was in for a week (private room). The drugs they had me on made me so terribly sleepy and yet so terribly ill at the same time. I would try to write something, but found myself falling asleep in the middle of a sentence and sometimes in the middle of a word. This time, it's going to be more of the same (in the same area), but there will be a second major procedure done as well - hopefully to clear out everything that is now and can possibly go bad in the future. Not going to stop me from trying to write, though. Hospitals have poor tv coverage (can't stand it anyway), and their wifi is set to filter just about everything you can imagine. Books, paper, pens - that will be my recovery arsenal. This Noodler's pen might just do the trick, especially if I fall asleep with the cap off. There will be plenty of water nearby to jump start a dried nib, if necessary. Am I worried about ink on the bedding? Um, no. Don't tell them that, though, they don't need to know about Noodler's...

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Good review generally but I didn't see anything on the pen or nib size... can you elaborate?

wait a minute. you're being facetious aren't you?? :P

i just thought about that after remembering that I only mentioned how small it is about a hundred times.

...boy, i'm slow to get jokes sometimes.

Oh yeah, and about the smell. I have two fig trees in my yard, and when the fruit falls off and rots, it attracts a LOT of bugs. Flys, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets, butterflies and moths, and some hummingbirds (not bugs) too! Well, out on the front porch, not 30 feet from one of the fig trees, this pen attracted a LOT of attention from some of those bugs. I guess it smells like something dead. :P

great review and great visuals!

my noodler's is a smooth writer as well. as for no inner cap, i haven't experienced any issues with it drying out. it's my daily writer, so maybe it just doesn't have a chance to dry out. +1 on the clip, it's a joke how wobbly and insecure (not in the emotional way) the clip is fixed onto the cap. i have heard of the bad smell issue, but mine didn't smell much like anything when i received it.

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

wait a minute. you're being facetious aren't you?? :P

i just thought about that after remembering that I only mentioned how small it is about a hundred times.

...boy, i'm slow to get jokes sometimes.

Oh yeah, and about the smell. I have two fig trees in my yard, and when the fruit falls off and rots, it attracts a LOT of bugs. Flys, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets, butterflies and moths, and some hummingbirds (not bugs) too! Well, out on the front porch, not 30 feet from one of the fig trees, this pen attracted a LOT of attention from some of those bugs. I guess it smells like something dead. :P

LOL!!! Glad you got... I was getting worried that the smell had changed cognition levels... roflmho.gif

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

Can you tell me anything about the clip? :hmm1:

"Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."-- Amos Bronson Alcott

I fell again, just ordered the Ebonite version. :bonk:

The nib on the plastic version is described as "medium fine" and is about the same as my Lamy Safari. It truly is a nice writing pen, I just wish the body of the pen was a tad bigger, as I have big hands and a pen about the size of a Esterbrook J is about right.

Can you tell me anything about the clip? :hmm1:

it's stamped and cheap and flimsy. if you only clip it to your shirt pocket i guess it'd be fine, but not if you clip it to your pants/jeans pocket like i normally do. i think a few times doing that would wear it out. maybe not, but it's so ugly i don't care. i'm happier with it off.

that is QUITE small! I was thinking about getting the Ebonite one to use for BSB, but I may just wait and purchase a Twsbi Diamond in translucent blue and have that pen be the BSB pen.

thanks for the review!