The Sheaffer 1000 - The Dolphin - One Of The Less Known Models!

Edgar Allan Bo

Now check this out:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2jeo6lf.jpg

Ooohhh, the well known shape for FP freaks, the elegant Sheaffer inlaid nib! :cloud9:

Really!?! :rolleyes:

Ok, it's a bit blurred, like when you're drunk and some things look much more attractive

than they are normally, but in those moments you don’t care about what happens later!

http://i37.tinypic.com/ajkshh.jpg

And then… the next morning… you wake up lying next to this:

http://i38.tinypic.com/t5ppxd.jpg

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Ok, this is a somewhat unusual intro to a fountain pen review but it sure reflects the situation that surely happened to

many people who bid on a Sheaffer after seing some blurry pictures on eBay and then expected to get a Sheaffer with

an elegant inlaid nib – and then got their surprise when they received the pen!

http://i37.tinypic.com/ibl545.jpg

It looks very unusual, the nib is not an inlaid nib - it's a standard semi-hooded nib that is accompanied by an inlaid part

in V-shape that makes it look like a standard Sheaffer with an inlaid nib when you look at the pen from above, thus the

confusion thanks to blurred eBay pics! -_-

http://i38.tinypic.com/27wu9vl.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/33nuqok.jpg

The "Dolphin" has a face only a mother could love, and that makes it kinda sympathetic...

When it comes to cars, the "Dolphin" reminds me of a FIAT Multipla! :roflmho:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7651/hologram158cm9.jpg

I actually know someone who has this car! :blink:

The Sheaffer “Dolphin” fountain pens were actually named as the Sheaffer “500”, the Sheaffer “800” and the Sheaffer

“1000” models, and they were only produced during the short period of just 2 years between 1962 and 1964 – I found

that info at the “PenHero.com” website, here is the LINK!

All the differences between the three model lines can also be found on that site (together with many nice pictures and

advertisements for the “Dolphin”), so I will only state the most significant differences in here:

The “500” models were the cheapest of the three - with the stainless steel caps, clips and nibs, having the option for

the cartridge or the Touchdown filling system, the “800” models had plastic caps, gold filled clip, inlay and trim ring and

also 14k gold nibs (unhallmarked!), and finally the “1000” models had a brushed gold plated cap, gold filled clip, trim ring

and inlay and also an unhallmarked 14k gold nib.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2v9uma1.jpg

Again, more details can be found on the PenHero.com site - great source for information on vintage and modern pens!

Ok, back to the Dolphin I acquired. I suppose it is the “1000” model – it has all the characteristics of the “1000” model

from what I can see, it’s a cartridge pen and I don’t see that as a drawback when I look at the Touchdown filler model,

because there are less parts that could break/wear off and I never write THAT long without having the chance to refill

the pen… after all, I can always take some cartridges with me, but that is only if I am not at home, otherwise I tend to

refill carts with a syringe!

A Sheaffer converter would probably also fit the pen but that's not so important for me, I’m fine with using cartridges! :thumbup:

http://i34.tinypic.com/fxcrx5.jpg

I will spend some time getting used to the pen, and then post some writing samples and stuff...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edgar Allan Bo

• Pepin

• fabrimedeiros

• significantpass

That's actually kinda cool. Thanks for the information and the story!

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

neat. I never knew the story behind it, I too, thought it was a inlaid nib. I'm still considering buying it tho...no fountain pen could ever be ugly in my eyes...

Give up my fountain pen? You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead, inkstained, hands!

Very nice review! I actually happen to like this pen a lot. Gotta get one one of these days.

Juan

+1 looks kinda cool to me!

great story and great review!

That's a wonderful review. Love the way you presented it!

But what have you got against Fiat Multiplas? :lol:

Nice pen, but I'm not sure about the anti Multipla thing - it is a very good car!

Iechyd da pob Cymro

That's a wonderful review. Love the way you presented it!

But what have you got against Fiat Multiplas? :lol:

Nice pen, but I'm not sure about the anti Multipla thing - it is a very good car!

There was nothing against the Multipla ^^ In fact I find it great that someone had the guts to bring such an "ugly" car out - today it's ok but for that time when it came out it was really a shock design! Someone who I know bought the car and got laughed at wherever he went, but the car itself is great - it just looks "different"!

And that's the same with the "Dolphin"... it looks unusual, and the first thing that springs to your mind is "Eww, what ist THAT!?!" :glare: But the second thing that springs to your mind (if you go that far - some of us don't even come to the second thing) is: "Hmm, now that I think of it - it DOES look interesting!" :hmm1:

I like such designs that go a step further and shock the market... even if it's a disadvantage, and maybe that was the reason why the Dolphin was produced for just 2 years before beeing discontinued again - probably it was too "ugly" looking!?!

Anyhow - I like it! :thumbup:

I didn't think that this pen was ugly, even at first sight. I think it's a great design! Unfortunately, its production have lasted so little time. Even the dolphin animal i think it is pretty! Very interesting and funny review! thanks a lot!!

I like such designs that go a step further and shock the market... even if it's a disadvantage, and maybe that was the reason why the Dolphin was produced for just 2 years before beeing discontinued again - probably it was too "ugly" looking!?!

Anyhow - I like it! :thumbup:

Yeah I think quirky stuff definitely has its appeal too.

I found some picture of a Dolphin demonstrator at: WorthPoint

http://i33.tinypic.com/14ipd7b.jpg

Here you can see how the nib and the inlaid part look like inside the pen!

http://i36.tinypic.com/29w8zdx.jpg

The 800 has a 14k nib and IT'S MARKED "14K". The only way to see it is to pull the whole nib out. I did exactly this and lol and behold "14K" hallmark. I did damage in the nib in the process.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

The 800 has a 14k nib and IT'S MARKED "14K". The only way to see it is to pull the whole nib out. I did exactly this and lol and behold "14K" hallmark. I did damage in the nib in the process.

Then the 1000 has probaby also a 14k mark on the nib - but I better not try to find that out, hm? ^^

Maybe the article on PenHero said that they are unhallmarked just because the mark is not visible anywhere on the outside.

Then the 1000 has probaby also a 14k mark on the nib - but I better not try to find that out, hm? ^^

Maybe the article on PenHero said that they are unhallmarked just because the mark is not visible anywhere on the outside.

It was a case of curiosity and stupidity. I happen to have both.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

It was a case of curiosity and stupidity. I happen to have both.

If you don't try you'll never find out! ^^

nice reviews and photos! i have the sheaffer dolphin 500 TD in my arsenal and i think it's a very interesting pen. even tho' the nib is very rigid i enjoy wrting with it.

wow your review was amazing. Thank you. Now I have fallen in love and will have to find me one!

Thanks! ;) Despite the fact that they were only produced for such a short period - there are allways many Dolphins on eBay or other places!

Edited by Edgar Allan Bo

To those who don't think it's ugly, I have to say... you need to be in the room with it. In person, there are a few angles from which it is an acceptably attractive pen, but from others it will stop your heart. I'm in no hurry to be shed of my 800, mind you, but like Perseus I find an imperfect mirror very helpful when filling it.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg