Personalised Wax Seals

vintagepilot

Hi All,

was wondering if anyone can recommend a place where I can get a good quality custom Seal made?

Have googled and come up with a few places but just wondered if anyone here had a strong recommendation for anyone that would be great

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• GouletPens

• vintagepilot

• mblover

Hi All,

was wondering if anyone can recommend a place where I can get a good quality custom Seal made?

Have googled and come up with a few places but just wondered if anyone here had a strong recommendation for anyone that would be great

It depends on your budget. Dexter makes beautiful deep engraved signet rings and desk seals, but they're not cheap (they'll quote you a price depending on the design). Some places do laser engraved (not really much 3D, more like a flat raised impression) that can be a lot cheaper. It all depends on what you want and how much your'e willing to spend.

Are the J Herbin seals laser engraved, or casted? They look pretty 3D which is why I'm curious.

I think they are laser engraved. From what I have seen of them they are not really deep. Look around for the thread showing wax seals to see just how nice they can be. The Herbin ones are decent, but there are nicer ones out there.

Rick

Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

For top end quality and hand engraving, Dexter seals.

For non-custom seals, you can get any monogram initial, and a huge selection of simple picture stamps from a lot of different places - Amazon, Nostalgic Impressions, Scribe's Delight, Wax Works, Michael's, Barnes and Noble, Goulet Pens, ebay... Just about anyone who sells some kind of stationery will have something.

Once you have your first quality custom seal stamp, you will not want to go back to any run of the mill stamp.

Laser engraved stamps do not necessarily mean super high quality. The laser stamps I've had pass through my hands were shallow, and the edges rough. Some companies may provide better quality, but I wouldn't know who they are.

I get my seals from Dexter, and I have to save up for a long time to get one. However, I do have maybe half a dozen or so "run of the mill" stamps, too. They are all useable. I also purchased a couple of unique signets off the 'bay at relatively inexpensive prices.

At the top of this forum, you'll see the search bar. plug in the term "wax seal" and/or "sealing wax" and see how many threads come popping up. Do the same in the sister review forum. There are quite a few threads in each. I tried to consolidate with links in one thread once, but I haven't done so for some time, and it is not a sticky thread by any means.

There is even a DIY out there somewhere on the 'net that shows how to make your own stamp using a wooden dowel and a wood burner. I know some folks here are experimenting with ceramics, and some people carve their own stamps or chops from stone.

Have fun!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

thanks all for your suggestions, Ill have a look at them all, Im probably looking to have my clan crest and also another logo of an organisation that Im involved with and also maybe a trident symbol done somepoint soon

thanks all

The J. Herbin brass seals are CNC engraved, not laser engraved. They're pretty good seals for the price. You can get better, but like anything else, better costs more! I've looked into doing custom seals, and they're a lot of work....you either need special equipment or a skilled metal engraver/craftsman, neither of which is very cheap. The cheaper custom seals you'll get are $55-100, and they'll be laser engraved (fairly 2-D), the nicer ones will run you $100+.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to find some vintage seals at the DC pen show but was disappointed to see nothing there. I was the only one that had any wax seal stuff there, I was kind of surprised, especially because everyone seems so interested in them. Oh well!

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

I was hoping to find some vintage seals at the DC pen show but was disappointed to see nothing there. I was the only one that had any wax seal stuff there, I was kind of surprised, especially because everyone seems so interested in them. Oh well!

Well, don't give up on them. They really are a natural to go with fine writing tools. Besides, a niche market can be a very rewarding one, personally if not professionally.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Well, don't give up on them. They really are a natural to go with fine writing tools. Besides, a niche market can be a very rewarding one, personally if not professionally.

Oh, I completely agree! If anything I'm one of the biggest (or at least loudest) wax seal advocates out there! I was just saying I was disappointed to see there was no real selection of vintage seals at the DC show. Of course there was SO much there, its entirely possible I just overlooked them.

Is there anyone out there making decent wax seals in the form of signet rings that isn't charging $400 a pop? I'd be happy with CNC, but a Dexter is not in the cards until I win the lottery.

I know you guys my fellow sealers would know. When you get a seal imported do you pay customs on it? I mean I tried to wade the federal site but man have no idea. I am looking at a pretty cool one from spain. Was just wondering what the rules were so to speak.

Is there anyone out there making decent wax seals in the form of signet rings that isn't charging $400 a pop? I'd be happy with CNC, but a Dexter is not in the cards until I win the lottery.

Chrontius, signet rings are likely to be a bit regardless of where you get them, usless you get sterling silver, perhaps, and you might keep it between $100-$200. I know there is a Celtic site somewhere that will do sterling. Gotta google that one. Gold rings cost a bit in their own right. A simple engraved monogram might be obtained from a local jeweler, but deep engraved for use as a seal is more specialized, and I suspect you'll still end up with a sizeable bill.

For a desk seal, your choices are much broader. Nostalgic impressions will do a custom seal for $75-$125 depending on the complexity of the design, a monogram will be on that $75 end.

I know you guys my fellow sealers would know. When you get a seal imported do you pay customs on it? I mean I tried to wade the federal site but man have no idea. I am looking at a pretty cool one from spain. Was just wondering what the rules were so to speak.

Stargazer34683, this is going to depend upon the item, seller, and the country. Although I have not had to pay customs on my orders, yet, it could come along. What I have had to pay a couple of times is the "border handling fee" charged by UPS. Not too happy with that, but again I think it depends on the item and country more than anything (or UPS's need to take a buck). Now, I know the USA had a higher threshhold for items coming in (as long as they are not from restricted countries or items not allowed for import), and I don't expect to see customs fees in the near future. Good rule of thumb might be to allow some extra dollars in the bank, just in case.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship