Noodler's Ink: Concord Grape

Signum1

Here's Baystate Concord Grape from Noodler's Ink. Enjoy ink fans.

http://a.imageshack.us/img831/4721/scannedimage2d.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kestrel

• Signum1

• wlwilcox

• Aquaria

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that a color-accurate scan (I'm using a calibrated monitor)? I ran a sample through a broad stub a few months ago and it was more like a dark grape color.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Thanks for the great review, Signum1.

This is just what I've been looking for, a water resistant dark purple.

In fact I am trying to slowly replace all my inks with water-proof or -resistant

equivalents. Too much random moisture in my world!

– MJ

Very Impressive!

Thanks Sig...

Stephen

~ Poor is the Nation that has no Heroes... but beggared is the Nation that has, and forgets them. ~

MB Violet (or whatever they're calling their most recent purple) is water resistant.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Yumm! I like grapes and I like this ink!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• 1 month later...

I tried this ink with a dip pen (after hearing of what its cousin, Bay State Blue could do to feeds), but found too much feathering and bleeding. Nice color, but poor performance on paper.

• 6 months later...

I agree with the last post - I use Clairefontaine 90g/m paper and this ink is the only one of my inks that feathers and bleeds on this paper. :(

The colour is quite amazing however.

It reminds me of the purple colour that the old xerox machine used to print on that special smelly paper back in the 1970s.

Great review! Now I want another bottle of ink... :(

I've got a huge list but I never seem to get around to buying any of the inks on it... :)

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a package today from Brian@ GP ( no affiliation with company ). Inside the box was a group of 4 Plat Preppy's. Two with converters and 2 set up for eye drop pens. I also was supplied with a bottle of Noodlers Concord Grape and several others. I immediately set one of the pens with a converter and began to test this ink and pen out.

I was surprised at how nice the pen worked but was more impressed with the ink. WOW!!! What a nice color. After writing on some regular 20 lb copy paper, I immediately went to the sink to test how it reacted to water. What I found was that this ink did very well. There was an initial bit of wash off, however it was very slight and the writing was still very visible. This was testing the ink within a 1 minute timeframe from writing to soaking in water.

This was very nice to see and will be my ink for journaling and for anything that I want not to disappear.

Good stuff!!

WOW!!!!! I have now put this in most of my pens and they all behave wonderfully. In my Cross Townsend it feels like my pen is floating on the paper. This is one spectacular ink. The color is so nice I feel like one could drink this stuff. LOL

Nathan you did yourself proud with this one.

• 6 months later...

I would like to love this ink.

It's an amazing color, dries very quickly, it's waterresistant - I let the paper sit in a bowl of water verwater overnight and the text was very clearly visible, only the color changed a bit (more blue): I wouldn't hesitate to adress envelopes with it.

But it feathers so very much on my papers, more than most other inks I use.

Greetings,

Michael

MB Violet (or whatever they're calling their most recent purple) is water resistant.

I believe it's called Lavender Purple. I wasn't aware it was water resistant (proof?).

• 3 years later...

Had to clean out the office for a repaint/recarpet job for the entire firm.

Came across a bottle of this ink under all kinds of books and papers and decided to give it a spin, and resurrect an old ink review.

From my Waterman Exception Med, it's a good deep purple colour, a thicker lay-down than the paragraph above under "overall".

It's a Baystater, so I'll see how it works in the morning... :)

• 9 months later...

I just received a sample vial of Concord Grape. It seems to go down as a darker purple color, then dry to a more vivid, bluer shade. It's also very lubricating. Nice ink.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 1 year later...

I have a Maruman Eco notebook that I've been using to scratch out a line or two of every ink I use with a glass dip pen. It isn't the greatest paper out there, but it's still fountain-pen friendly, unlike the typically disgusting American notebook and copier garbage.

Until now, every ink I've used in the Eco has worked perfectly well, including Baystate Blue and Air-Corpse Blue-Black, two inks that can be quite temperamental, at times. But Concord Grape? It's the only ink I've used thus far that bleeds and feathers, on everything, without exception. It's the most aggressive ink I've used thus far, of the nearly 200 I've tested.

So beware--it's an interesting color, but I think it would only work in a Japanese F nib. And even then, it might not play nicely with very many kinds of paper.

Try diluting it 9:1 or 8:1 with distilled water to tame the feathering. I don't own Concord Grape but the 80% concentration tamed Baystate Blue's feathering considerably.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi