Comparison: Pilot Blue :: Sheaffer Skrip Blue

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust the brightness & contrast of your monitor to accurately depict this Gray Scale.

As the patches are neutral gray, their colour on your monitor should also be neutral gray.

Mac LINK

Figure 1. Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576.jpg

Figure 2. Written Samples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Comparison%20-%20Pilot%20Blue%20TO%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue/INK814.jpg

Figure 2 Layout:

A. Pilot Blue from Pelikan.

B. Sheaffer Blue from Pelikan.

C. Pilot Blue from Lamy.

D. Sheaffer Blue from Lamy

E. Alternating lines from the Pelikan starting with Pilot Blue.

F. Alternating lines from Lamy starting with Pilot Blue.

Figure 3. Other Stuff.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Comparison%20-%20Pilot%20Blue%20TO%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue/INK815.jpg

Figure 3 Layout:

• Pilot Blue from Pelikan: Smear/Dry Time, and Wet Tests.

• Swabs:

Pilot Blue - 1 Pass

Sheaffer Blue - 1 Pass

Pilot Blue - 2 Passes

Sheaffer Blue - 2 Passes

Pilot Blue - 3 Passes

Sheaffer Blue - 3 Passes

• Sheaffer Blue from Pelikan: Smear/Dry Time, and Wet Tests.

Close-Ups

• Pilot Blue from Pelikan

• Sheaffer Blue from Pelikan

• Pilot Blue & Sheaffer Blue from Lamy

Observations:

Flow Rate

• Pilot Blue: Modest.
  • Sheaffer Blue : Not quite wet.

Clogging

• Pilot Blue : Not noticed.
  • Sheaffer Blue : Not noticed.

Feathering / Woolly Line

• Pilot Blue : None
  • Sheaffer Blue : None

Bleed-Through

Show-Though

Saturation

• Pilot Blue : Modest
  • Sheaffer Blue : Modest

Shading:

• Pilot Blue : Modest
  • Sheaffer Blue : Modest

Comments

• The colour of the inks are slightly but noticeably different.
  • The density (light-dark) of the inks are pretty much the same - medium.
  • When writing, Sheaffer was slightly nicer.

Densitometer (FWIW)

- The densitometer feature on the scanner was used.

Pilot Blue:

Red 94

Grn 133

Blu 223

Lum 143

Sheaffer Skrip Blue:

Red 105

Grn 127

Blu 226

Lum 142

=:+:=+:+=:+:=+:+=:+:=+:+=:+:=+:+=

Materiel

Paper

• Written Sample: Rhodia.
  • Other Tests: HPJ1124.

Pens

• Pelikan M200 + M200-series g-p steel M.
  • Lamy Safari + steel 1.1i.

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 96 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans went straight to the file sharing thingy.

-30-

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Lloyd

• fabrimedeiros

• Aquaria

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. The Pilot Blue ink is remarkably water resistant.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Nice review. The Pilot Blue ink is remarkably water resistant.

Hi,

The Pilot Blue is my Medium-Blue waterproof ink of choice.

One aspect that cannot be conveyed by scans, is that the Pilot dyes the paper very nicely - without the bulletproof inks' unfortunate chalky appearance - which I find to be a deal-breaker. I'll use the bulletproof inks if/when I have to, but that's it.

(One pot each of Lexington Grey + Legal Lapis are likely to outlast me, even though I am of tender years.)

I'm thinking of changing the format of the written samples' alternating lines: to avoid the overlapping of characters written in the two inks. Likely double the existing row width/height, and to use the HPJ1124 - not Rhodia. Thoughts?

Bye,

S*expletive*1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sandy1,

Thanks for warning me about your new review. Great as usual! Pilot Blue is a good alternative for me because its waterproof properties. I like Noodler's bulletproof blues, but, most of them, feathering on cheap paper ( e.g. Upper Ganges Blue, Polar Blue and Luxury Blue), what has been annoying me. Moreover, Pilot Blue is a classical, common and easy to find ink.

Best regards,

Fabricio

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

I rather like Sheaffer blue, but I'll probably never buy a bottle of it, and why would I, when I have a ton of Pilot Blue and Blue-Black?

Pilot Namiki Blue (or their Blue-Black) is my college workhorse ink, because it's cheap, readily available (for US buyers), a color that professors won't balk at in the least, and, best of all, it's water resistant. There will always be that rainy day when I forget my umbrella or that day when I spill tea everywhere when I'm studying. Pilot Blue or Blue-Black gives me peace of mind that I won't lose those notes from topology or medieval Japanese history that I can't replicate, never mind can't afford to lose to some rain or a spill. And that it's water-resistant yet doesn't require keeping to a rigid schedule of pen maintenance?

I'm a math and Japanese major. I don't need to have a pen seize up on me because I forgot to clean my pen while buried under the mountain of work I always have from Day 1 of any given semester.

And that's why I love Pilot's "boring" old blue and blue-black inks. I can get everything I need from their ink, with as few hassles as possible. Sure, I have dozens of other inks that I like to play with for the fun colors and effects, but when it's time to get down to work for my classes, I need an ink I can count on, in more ways than one.

And Pilot Namiki Blue (or the good old Blue-Black) is that ink.

Edited by Aquaria