Pelikan Style

murfie

Pelikan Style

The next topic in my group of reviews for lower cost fountain pens, is the Pelikan Style. This pen comes from a mainstream stable whose reputation is second to none when it comes to fountain pen manufacture and quality. This is another example that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent writing implement.

Appearance & Design (9/10)

This pen has a very contemporary appearance. It tastefully blends three finishes comprising the silver brushed-metal finish of the barrel and cap, the black plastic base of the grip and cap clip, and the sea grey rubberised sleeve over the grip and nib collar. This is the only color scheme available. The clip is all plastic but of a thickness and quality suggesting adequate robustness and functionality. This is a good looking pen.

There is an ink level window inbuilt into opposite sides of the barrel. The window is basic but functional for both cartridge and converter usage.

Construction & Quality (8.5/10)

This pen, though light, does feel solidly made. The screw threading of the barrel is excellent without any slack and the barrel seats very firmly with little pressure required. The cap is clip fit requiring little pressure to cap the pen, with an audible click to indicate the cap is fully seated. Removal of the cap does not quite meet my benchmark (Pilot Prera) but it is not far away.

Weight & Dimensions (8.5/10)

Total weight (inked) 19 gms

Cap 7 gms

Lengths: Capped 5 7/16" (138 mm) Posted 6 3/8" (161 mm) Unposted 5 1/8" (130 mm)

Widths: 16 mm cap diameter, 12.5 mm barrel diameter, 10 mm diameter at smallest part of the grip.

The pen is long enough to be used both posted and unposted. Posting the cap doesn't really have much perceptible effect on the balance. The grip is very comfortable with the rubberised overlay and does not have any special shaping that could clash with non-standard gripping positions.

In use this pen feels somewhat thicker than most pens and I would recommend it if you tend to go for the fatter ones. If you prefer thinner pens then the Style may not turn you on.

Nib Performance (9/10)

A plain steel nib - available in Fine, Medium and Broad - is used. In appearance it is not unlike the steel nibs in the Lamy Safari/Vista. The reviewed pen came with a Fine nib which of typical European characteristics being similar to a Lamy fine, but wider than a Japanese medium nib. The nib is extremely smooth and lays a generous consistent line perhaps just one mark on the wetter side of the scale without being overly wet. I have only used Waterman South Sea Blue in it but I would suspect that there would be the normal variations you would expect from other ink types and brands. There is no skipping and generally the nib is the highlight of the pen. I also noticed that the nib performed better than expected on poorer quality paper.

Filling System (9/10)

The Style takes large and small international cartridges and any compatible converter. The converter is an extra and does not come with the pen - at least when I bought one.

Cost/Value (9/10)

The Style is available from Jetpens.com in the U.S. for USD $25 and in the U.K. from cultpens.com for £17.50 (incl. VAT) or around £15 (VAT free if you are offshore). This places the Style is competition with the Lamy Safari/Vista and represents similar value for money.

Conclusion (53.0/6 = 8.8)

This is one of those pens that I would recommend to people who want to try out fountain pens against other methods of writing. It comes across as being capable of being well punished but provide the utmost in reliability at the same time. And without intending to break the tape recording, this is another pen where its loss won't bring Wall St. down in a crash.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• Sailor Kenshin

• DAYoung

• murfie

It looks like Rotring and Lamy got together and spawned a love-pen! :huh:

The nib section looks a bit like the one on the Pelikan Script calligraphy pens and that is very comfortable to hold and use. I don't mind the looks of it, although I am not that keen on that colour. If it was a bright colour it would be better. I'd use it though because the nibs are great for a pen that price.

Good review Murfie. It's nice to read reviews of the cheaper end of the pen spectrum because there are some great pens out there for pretty affordable prices. Quite a few of them are at my house, so I know! :D

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

Aesthetic shudder.

+1

In my humble opinion that's one ugly pen. But then again if it works well then it can still be a good pen!

Thanks for the review thumbup.gif

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Well it's true I absolutely love to write with everything Pelikan (inkjet cartridges excluded but that's printing, not writing, so..) and I really prefer my Eur 1,- red Pelikano (on sale at Auchan 1 yr ago) to my AlStar and Vista (worth 20+ times more) but this Style pen cannot compare to the refined look of Lamys. The section, though, looks promising (even with this ugly blue-black design). I always prefer the great feel of a Pelikan nib (alive with peronality, yet smooth) to the cold perfection of most Lamy nibs (never found one worth criticizing... they all work well, but are unimaginative) and probably the thick round section of Pelikans is one of the keys of this success (as opposed to the feeling of the triangular section of Safaris).

The color combination is awful. :blink:

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy, and a tragedy. - Mark Twain

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Lamy Safari currently seems to be the most popular school pen in Germany in my experience once you go beyond the first 4 or 5 years. The local office discount store here ("Müller") only has Safaris for trial available in all nibs.

Apparently this is an attempt to grab some of that design bonus without becoming too "ergonomic".

It does not work for my eyes ;(

Edited by kwisatz

"Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them!" (Duke Leto)

There're other color combinations that might be more aesthetically pleasing. You can see them here --

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/enauc/706704/706717/790942/

The pen in the review is shiny silvery plastic but the other 3 are a matte grey because they're covered with a non-slip rubber finish (the same stuff on the section of the pen in the review).

A close-up of the blue here -- http://image.rakuten.co.jp/atn/cabinet/pelikan/pelikan-71.jpg

Edited by Readymade
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

The grip is different. So is the nib.

Nothing like the Safari. I like the Pel. I might try one of these someday. Thanks for the review.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

There're other color combinations that might be more aesthetically pleasing. You can see them here --

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/enauc/706704/706717/790942/

The pen in the review is shiny silvery plastic but the other 3 are a matte grey because they're covered with a non-slip rubber finish (the same stuff on the section of the pen in the review).

A close-up of the blue here -- http://image.rakuten.co.jp/atn/cabinet/pelikan/pelikan-71.jpg

honestly, i like all of the color combinations. thx for posting the link!

basically it's a copy of the lamy safari ...

Having owned both I can attest that there is significant difference between the Safari and the Style. However, the Style is very similar in design, feel and performance to the German Schneider Base. See photos below courtesy of Cult Pens U.K. (cultpens.com)

http://home.pacific.net.au/~murf/pens/sale/s1.jpg

http://home.pacific.net.au/~murf/pens/sale/s2.jpg

The purple number was inserted to attract the interest of SidandNancy .... there are other bright and muted colors available. No, I have no affiliation with Cult Pens other than being a very satisfied customer.

And for molly-dookas the Schneider can be purchased with a left-handed nib!

Edited by murfie

hmmmmm, that schneider's section reminds me too much of the Rotring Core. :hmm1: i don't think that's a good thing!

The purple number was inserted to attract the interest of SidandNancy .... there are other bright and muted colors available. No, I have no affiliation with Cult Pens other than being a very satisfied customer.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm.........purple :cloud9: :cloud9:

hmmmmm, that schneider's section reminds me too much of the Rotring Core. :hmm1: i don't think that's a good thing!

The Core section is much worse. :lol:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The Core section is much worse.

With the Core, you either love it or absolutely hate it - what you would expect for a very radical design. I used one for several years while I was consulting as I didn't want to take an expensive pen with me on the road. I felt more comfortable with something that would cause no grief if lost or left behind. Surprisingly, I came to really like the Core. It always wrote, had a dry nib (good for note-taking) and never seemed to tire the hand muscles. In addition, it took a lot of punishment. I think we are very lucky to have so much variety on offer when it comes to fountain pens.