Rhodia Dot Pad Review

carpedavid

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4770884285_107ef3a639.jpg

Ever since I started writing ink reviews, I’ve been using Rhodia notepads. Rhodia uses bright white, 80gsm, acid-free, pH neutral, Clairefontaine paper in their notepads, which is a joy to write on. Clairefontaine paper is widely considered by fountain pen aficionados to be the best paper available. It has a very smooth finish to it, which makes the pen glide across the paper, and it stands up to even the wettest ink without complaint and without feathering.

All of the Rhodia pads are staple bound, and have either an orange or black cardstock cover that is pre-scored to allow it to fold back over the spine easily. The microperforated pages are easy to remove, and the cardboard backing is sturdy enough to be able to hold the pad without separate support. The version I typically use has a pale, violet, 5x5 ruled grid, which is perfect for calligraphy – the vertical lines help with word and letter spacing, as well as providing a guide for consistent letter angles.

While there are a number of sizes available, I’ve settled on the No 16 pad, which is an A5 (6” x 8 1/4”). It’s just the right size for the reviews that I write and for practicing my calligraphy.

All in all, I’ve been very, very happy with these pads. Recently, though, I received a review copy of the new Rhodia Dot Pad, which is in all respects identical to the pads that I had been using, except that it features a dot grid instead of a ruled grid. I’m not certain who originally created dot grid paper, but whoever it was should be knighted, beatified, and inducted into the Awesome Hall of Fame.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4770884287_24c808f311.jpg

The dot grid is essentially a normal grid, with the lines removed, and only small dots at the intersections of said lines remaining. Here, the dots are the same pale violet ink that the normal grid is printed with, which makes it both easy to read and completely unobtrusive. Initially, I was skeptical that it would provide the same guidance that a ruled grid would, but a little testing revealed that it was just as easy to use. Consider me a convert – the Dot Pad is fantastic.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4770885531_cc593db85b.jpg

The Rhodia Dot Pad is currently available in four sizes: 3 3/8” x 4 3/4”, 6” x 8 1/4”, 8 1/4” x 12 1/2”, and 16 1/2” x 12 1/2”.

You can learn more about Rhodia Dot Pads here: http://www.rhodiapads.com/collections_boutique_dotPad.shtml

Note: the Rhodia Dot Pad was provided for this review by Karen of Exaclair, the US distributor of Rhodia and Clariefontaine products.

Read all of my paper and ink reviews at Seize the Dave.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steffen Larsen

• jimhughes

• GouletPens

• WendyNC

Dave,

Another AbFab review. Thanks so much, and keep them coming!

BTW amazing calligraphy!

Montblanc / Pelikan / Sailor / Pilot / Lamy / Cross / Parker

I have used the small Rhodia dot grid - they are great. BTW, farseer911 here on FPN often sells them in multi-packs (no affil. - just a happy customer).

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

I agree, the dotPads are great. I've purchased several and like them well enough that I won't be buying any more of the Rhodia graph paper.

Hopefully they'll bring it out in A4 size soon.

I've been a dedicated grid paper user for years, but suddenly, it seems obvious. Dots provide the same guidance, but with such a cleaner look. Another giant step forward for humankind!

thanks for the good review and the nice example of your calligraphy.

• 3 weeks later...

Whats all the hype with rhodia's? there's a cult or something hehe

Haha...no cult, just good products. Loyal fan following since 1932!

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Does anyone know where the dot pads can be purchased in the UK, please?

Thank you.

Hetty

Does anyone know where the dot pads can be purchased in the UK, please?

Thank you.

Hetty

The Writing Desk may have it, but I'll let you do the work to actually look for it on their site ;)

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

As someone who just got 1. His first Rhodia Pad, 2. His first DotPad, i must say

These are just a joy to write with! The dot grid takes about 5 seconds to get used to. I've made a general schedule of a convention i'm attending a week from now, even filling large rectangles with plenty of ink. It just works. Mine's a No 19, tears out an A4, and it's just beautiful!

I wish they made dotPads in no.11. My pocket pad is no.11, and it seems that I should've chosen no.12 in retrospect. I've been pining after one of the dotPads, though. Maybe I'll pick up a larger pad if they make them.

I grabbed a No. 19 at the Raleigh show and it really is great stuff. In low light, I sometimes still prefer the grid, but the dot really does do the job and in a visually more attractive way. If I had to choose between them, it would be the dot.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the dot pads here. Just got mine today and spent sometime writing on it. This may be the perfect paper: just enough guidance to write a straight line without the intrusiveness of lines or grids. I didn't think anything was going to top Rhodia blank uni pads in my universe, but the dot pad is pretty close.

read, write, grade essays, repeat

No 16 and No19 are my favorite. I admit I would have liked to have seen it in No18 size instead of 19....

These have become my everyday tablets.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

Yes - the dot pads are great. I find lined paper too linear, so always used grid. The dots are even better - very subtle.

Rhodia Drive web site is always asking for suggestions. Stephanie/Biffy Beans is the chief blogger there. I wrote a contact them yesterday, asking for that exact item. You might consider going onto the Rhodia Drive site and putting in your 2 cents. That way they won't think I'm the only person with that interest. Jim

Rcvd this AM a nice note from my comment of Saturday. Ms Christine Nusse, of USA Exclair will pass on my request for a dotted Pocket Webbie to their Product Development staff to consider future production. Now's the time to go to Rhodia Drive web site and contact s Nusse about any interest in this item. Strike while the iron is hot. Jim

All the pens made incredible this paper (as usual) and since I have already checked the paper Rhodia in the past, I will focus on the differences between this record and provide for others.