Sailor Professional Gear Realo

Crim

Hi guys!

Recently I bought two pens. A Pilot Custom 823 and a Sailor Professional Gear Realo. The 823 is a pen I've wanted for a long time, and the SPGR since March or so when I saw someone make a topic about it. I've always wanted to try a Sailor though I couldn't decide on which model... the Realo attracted me more than the c/c system because I thought *Hey, why not try both a Sailor and a piston filler at the same time?* Though I prefer the style of the PG. So when I saw a PGR I knew I was getting one.

I bought a Custom 823 through a Chinese version of Ebay, and the SPGR through ToraPens (no affiliation).

I wanted to compare and review the 823 and SPGR but I can't since the 823 is being serviced. So instead I'll review the SPGR! Sorry for the bad pictures! My camera stinks!

http://i45.tinypic.com/15hmr06.jpg

Nib and Flow:

I'm a little let down. I was under the assumption that Sailor nibs are virtually flawless. Though I do seem to be afflicted by Murphy's law :crybaby: . The nib itself is beautifully crafted and two toned. Other than a diagonal upstroke, it *is* very smooth. I purchased a Medium... the line is about as wide as my Decimo's M and my Parker Esprit's F. There's a little line variation. The difference between using a light touch and a firmer one is noticeable. I can even turn the nib upside down and it's still smooth enough to write.

The pen is on the wet side and the flow is excellent. I can write a fancy signature at a medium speed without it skipping. Even when signing fast, I don't notice skipping.

To be fair, I still like writing with this pen. It's great in every way. The upstroke just gives me a little feedback which I'm not accustomed too. Perhaps it'll go away with a few long sessions on some cheap (re:rough) paper. If it doesn't get better or if it's still bothering me a few fills later, I might try using a nib smoothing kit.

Size:

http://i50.tinypic.com/28ckltw.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2d9b4ht.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/okobd5.jpg

With the cap on it's just a little smaller than my Safari and a touch smaller than my Decimo. Posting it makes it slightly longer than my Decimo with the nib extracted. Writing without the cap posted gives you a pretty small pen. It's not too thick either. I don't have any way to measure it, but it looks just a wee bit fatter than the Safari. Holding it isn't uncomfortable at all. I'd say my hands are medium sized, if not a little bigger.

Weight:

This pen is surprisingly light. I couldn't believe this pen cost me as much as it did... though that's good in my book. I can't stand heavier pens. Filling it up with ink gives it a little more substance and posting the cap is bearable. Normally I can't write with a cap posted... with this one I'm able to. I haven't done an extended writing session with it but when I do I'll try keeping it posted and report back.

Design:

I personally love the square shape of the Professional Gear series. The torpedo look is ok, but I've seen it in so many pens here in China. I wanted something that would stand out a little, so I went for the burgundy PG over the 1911. I don't regret it at all. I especially love the little logo at the top of the pen. There's just something so distinctive about it.

The ink window is nice. I don't mind it. To some people it might take away from the pen, but I like how it "breaks' the pen up into two sections. The only thing I'd recommend is getting a black version. I love the burgundy, but pretty much any ink is going to look black or very dark in the window... something that would match a black pen better. Red, Gold, Red, Gold, white, black, white, gold, red, gold, red might be funky to some.

Filling System:

The SPGR uses a piston. This is my first piston filling pen and everything seems to work smooth. It's basically a giant c/c that can't be removed easily. I haven't written the pen dry but the manual says it can hold 1cc of ink. I'm not sure how many pages that translates to but I'll find out eventually, hehe.

Overall

I would rate this pen a 9/10. This is a really nice pen and while a little expensive, I'm going to say it's worth it if you want a piston filling Japanese pen. It's not too heavy though a little on the light side. Writing while it's posted is possible and doesn't kill the balance, so for those who need some extra heft then there ya go! It is a little short but again posting it gives it that extra bit of length. For my hands it feels about as comfortable as the Decimo and more comfortable than the 823 (I do prefer smaller pens). The flow is great, I don't think even my custom 823 was keeping up but that's also with a B nib.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crim

• DecafAmericano

• watch_art

• fpnuser

Wonderful pen. It seems that posting is needed for comfortable use.

The ink capacity is 1.5ml according to nibs.com Not a lot, but a huge improvment compared to the c/c sailors.

Thanks for the review.

Edited by sjchun79

I bought a Custom 823 through a Chinese version of Ebay, and the SPGR through ToraPens (no affiliation).

But you do have an affiliation with Chinese eBay and/or the seller? Could you explain that connection please so we can judge your objectivity when you report on the 823? hmm1.gif

Kidding aside, thanks for your Pro Gear Realo thoughts. I've also been considering that pen since I first saw it. Been keeping a folder of all the user opinions posted in TechWriter's review.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Wonderful pen. It seems that posting is needed for comfortable use.

The ink capacity is 1.5ml according to nibs.com Not a lot, but a huge improvment compared to the c/c sailors.

Thanks for the review.

I tried writing with it posted. Personally I prefer it with cap in one hand, pen in the other. It's still fairly balanced posted but my hands are a little sweaty cause of the heat... so it's been slipping back a little while writing. Though I'm also using an easel to write and have to hold the pen a little differently than I would if writing on a desk.

I think the 1.5ml capacity one is the anniversary edition Realo. This is just coming from memory but it was modeled after the larger 1911 (King of Pens). I'm pretty sure the newest version of the Realo as well as the Professional Gear version are both smaller and can only hold 1cc.

But you do have an affiliation with Chinese eBay and/or the seller? Could you explain that connection please so we can judge your objectivity when you report on the 823? hmm1.gif

Kidding aside, thanks for your Pro Gear Realo thoughts. I've also been considering that pen since I first saw it. Been keeping a folder of all the user opinions posted in TechWriter's review.

If I had some kind of affiliation I'd have sent the pen back to him instead of Pilot. He doesn't seem too eager to exchange the pen now that it's been inked up -_-.

No problem. I really like the pen. I just can't seem to please myself... I can't decide of I like this M or if I want a B.

Oh and after some writing on cheaper paper I've found the pen to be a little more toothy than I expected. How come my nibs keep coming with problems? =(. It's actually a little annoying because it feels like the tooth is affecting the shapes of my lettering.

Edited by Crim

Thanks for the review of a pen I did not know existed. I have 1911 pens in medium and full size as well as a PG. I too really like the slightly different look of the PG but ideally I need to post the PG for reasons of weight and balance.

I suggest getting some 8000 or 12000 grit sand paper or Micro Mesh and try smoothing the nib yourself. Very fine sand paper won't remove a lot of material in just a few strokes so there is little danger of ruining the nib. Most likely the nib just needs just a little work in one place.

Apparently it won't let me edit my post. I guess after a day or so you can't?

I wanted to add some more thoughts.

I decided to empty the pen by catching up on some work.

http://i28.tinypic.com/23w2s10.jpg

With a medium nib I get quite a bit of writing. Writing upon a standard piece of printing paper (whatever size that is), I managed to complete 20 pages. I'd say between 1/4 and 1/2 had more writing than this (the writing skipping the lined part and filling up the blank area on the bottom). I also wrote 2 pages worth of "How are you, The quick brown fox....." to test the nib initially, as well as some doodling.

I'd say this holds significantly more than my Decimo does. Even when I barely use my Decimo, I find myself filling it up more than I'd expect. With this one I kept going and going. I probably could have gotten more out of it, but using an easel and holding the pen the way I do keeps it more horizontal and that doesn't help when it's nearly empty (with any pen).

The pen is generously wet, but not to the point where it becomes a nuisance. I'd say this is a great pen for someone who wants a Japanese pen but isn't too fond of C/C systems. I've never tried another piston filler but I can't honestly imagine the average person writing this much away from a source of ink.

I tried changing ink (my Tsuki-Yo finally arrived after a ridiculous 3 week long journey :mad: ) and still have a lot of tooth and feedback. I notice that with a lower writing angle it gets noticeably smoother. If I write with the pen elevated around 20 degrees it's smooth. The closer I get to 45, the toothier it gets. I think I normally write a little higher than 45, and that's when it gets the worst (the feedback on cheaper paper feels like it's affecting my lettering). The pen is very useable and after a minute or two I guess I get used to it, but as soon as I lay my Decimo down on the page... it's that same feeling where you hear someone drilling outside your house for an hour and then it just stops. I guess I got really lucky with my Decimo.

I wrote for a while with it posted. Again I generally write with an easel. I don't mind it at all, but it lowers my writing angle considerably because gravity has a little more leverage. I found myself constantly switching between posting and cap in handing it. Both are equally comfortable though it's a little easier without the cap when my hand is tired. Writing on a desk... the posting balance isn't really an issue as far as I can feel; much less so than when I'm using my easel.

I really like the pen and I don't wanna risk smoothing it and voiding my warranty while it still stands. As someone else mentioned... companies make dud nibs (consistently or from time to time) because there aren't so many people complaining to them. Most of us will either have someone grind our nib, try smoothing it ourselves, think it's normal and just live with it... or try exchanging it (which leaves it up to the original seller to either send it to the manufacturer or try selling it to someone else). So I figure the first thing I'll try is contacting Sailor.

Edited by Crim

I don't like posting my Realo because I find the substantially riased ring on the cap rubs my hands in the fold between first finger and thumb. Nib-wise, it's as good as any pen I have, bar the Togi on my other Sailor. Yeah; and I'm with Watch-Art: smooth it out and have done; it's obviously causing you grief.

• 9 months later...

Just my experience - - - Sailor nibs give a bit more feedback as you write. Most of us call that "toothiness" or roughness, or something this side of butter smooth. I really like that feature of Sailor's myself.

But if it is too much for you, bite the bullet and have it tuned.

Montblanc / Pelikan / Sailor / Pilot / Lamy / Cross / Parker

Does it have a 21k nib like the 1911 Realo? If it does, for some reason I find that the nib is actually less responsive than my 1911M with a 14k nib.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

• 4 weeks later...

Just my experience - - - Sailor nibs give a bit more feedback as you write. Most of us call that "toothiness" or roughness, or something this side of butter smooth. I really like that feature of Sailor's myself.

But if it is too much for you, bite the bullet and have it tuned.

Just bought my first REALO (broad nib) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Montblanc / Pelikan / Sailor / Pilot / Lamy / Cross / Parker

• 1 month later...

I have one just like it, but black. I LOVE mine!

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2862/146qxp.jpg

Oooo, nice one there, this is next in my hunting list! :)

Thank you for the review!

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

i have a Sailor 500, a Sapporo and a 1911 full, with F, B and M respectively. All have a little tooth, but at the same time are smooth. Is a part of both, and part of the charming of Sailor.

Current office rotation: Nakaya Piccolo (Noodlers Turquoise Eel), Twsbi Mini (PR Plum), Onoto BCHR (Diamine Imperial Blue) http://plumasytintas.com

http://yuki-akari.blogspot.com