Pilot Prera White F

hecya

I was looking for a white pen with a very fine point and after reading about the Pilot Prera I decided to try it.

The design is simple with several metal trims and a nice clip that looks solid. The cap clicks very solidly in place and has some feedback to it that almost feels as a magnetic latch.

The built quality is very good. The plastic body looks resistant to scratches and the white color is really white, no grayish or creamy.

The pen came with a Pilot bladder converter. It was my first time using this kind of filler and I had to resist the urge to shot some ink across the room.

Regarding size, capped the Prera is about 4 mm shorter than Pelikan M215. Posted, the size different is greater, about 14 mm.

About weight, the Prera is light and I would like it to be heavier to make it more substantial.

The nib performance is quite good. The line is finer than Pelikan Fine and Lamy Fine. The ink flow is good with no skipping at all but the nib itself is not so smooth. It is a bit more scratchy than the other two pens mentioned but not really bad.

The fine line goes very well with my writing and I will be using it more than my other pens for that reason alone.

In short, a good buy of a nice looking pen that adds some variation to my black pens.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hecya

• sotto2

• penspouse

• murfie

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's at least one other review of the Prera in the pinned "Review Index" that goes on for many many pages. I really like my Prera, almost as much as I like my Pilot Ecrino. If it were red and had a screw-on cap, I might even like it better.

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I can't recommend the Prera highly enough. In my humble opinion, it is stilll the best value for money pen available, even tipping the Lamy Safari out.

It doesn't have a screw cap, but the snap fit is the best of any pen I have come across. It comes with an incredibly good steel nib but can also use nibs from the Plumix, Pluminix, and 78G. So if you want an italic Prera, you can do it. I have three Preras always inked - one with an italic nib from a Pluminix; one with an M nib from a 78G; and the other with the standard M Prera nib. All of them have a CON-50 converter fitted.

The pen can be completely unassembled in seconds for the perfect flush. The nib unit just pulls out.

The appearance of the pen says 'quality', and as long as you don't like black, you should be able to find a pleasing color to suit your personality.

A very under-rated pen, that can often be picked up under the odds on an online auction.

Thanks for the interesting info. I didn´t know that the nibs from Plumix can be used on the Prera. Do they look alike?

Thanks for the interesting info. I didn´t know that the nibs from Plumix can be used on the Prera. Do they look alike?

The nibs look identical save for the italic nib on the Plumix.

Edited by calhoun tubbs

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

I can't recommend the Prera highly enough. In my humble opinion, it is stilll the best value for money pen available, even tipping the Lamy Safari out.

It doesn't have a screw cap, but the snap fit is the best of any pen I have come across. It comes with an incredibly good steel nib but can also use nibs from the Plumix, Pluminix, and 78G. So if you want an italic Prera, you can do it. I have three Preras always inked - one with an italic nib from a Pluminix; one with an M nib from a 78G; and the other with the standard M Prera nib. All of them have a CON-50 converter fitted.

The pen can be completely unassembled in seconds for the perfect flush. The nib unit just pulls out.

When you pull the nib out, does the feed come with it?

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I first used Lamy black ink and had the problem. I now switched to Sheaffer Skrip blue and the staining on the nib has reduced a lot but the internal staining on the cap is about the same.

When you pull the nib out, does the feed come with it?

yes. just pinch it between your finger and thumb. but not the tip of your finger, the middle at the first joint by your knuckle. put your thumb over the feed, and the nib should sit in the bend of your finger, and pull. slow and gentle, hold it close to your body.