J. Herbin Orange Indien

carpedavid

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4650415681_be93efed02_b.jpg

J. Herbin Orange Indien reminds me of the wildflowers that grew in the front lawn of my childhood home and of the tiger lilies that lined the streets of my neighborhood. It is a sumptuous, moderately saturated ink that exhibits a high degree of shading in both fine and wide nibs.

Like other J. Herbin inks, Orange Indien flows well. It is not as wet as Vert Empire or Blue Myostosis – behaving more like Café des Isles or Poussiere de Lune. On each of the papers I tested it on, Orange Indien exhibited a low amount of feathering. It was slightly noticeable in my Ecosystem journal, which is a very absorbent paper, but was not noticeable at all on Rhodia paper. Show-through was minimal, even on the thin paper of a Moleskine cahier, and I did not notice any bleed-through on any of the papers that I tested.

Dry time on a Rhodia pad and Moleskine cahier was within the range of other J. Herbin inks: about 12 seconds. On the absorbent Ecosystem paper, which normally sucks up ink like it’s going out of style, it took a surprising 8 seconds to dry completely; though this is fully in the range of acceptable dry time for me. Writing on an incline seemed to produce no noticeable increase in drying time compared to writing flat for this ink, at least in the pen I was using to test with.

Orange isn’t a color that normally factors into business use, and this ink is no exception. For journaling or other personal use, though, it is great. On white paper, it provides great contrast, and while it blends into off-white paper slightly, it is still eminently readable. Dry writing pens work perfectly fine with this ink, but it is in a wet writing pen the character of this ink truly shines – the shading is gorgeous.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4650415735_e1080c0a0e.jpg

J. Herbin fountain pen inks come in a 30ml bottle with an integrated pen rest that is suitable for displaying on top of one’s desk. This one has a picture of a tiny orange elephant on the front label.

Orange Indien is one of my new favorite inks. I plan on using it extensively for calligraphy, as the shading is impossible to resist.

Review Materials: for this review, I used a Lamy 1.9mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Joy pen for the wide strokes. The fine strokes were made using a Lamy 2000 with an EF nib. The paper is Rhodia 80gsm. I also tested using a Moleskine cahier and an Ecosystem notebook.

You can read all of my ink reviews at my blog: seize the dave.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr Lopez

• orangeaurora

• JBat

• iroshizuku

Thank-you for a nice review.

Herbin Indien Orange is the orange that I have used as my fall/Halloween colour.It is a bright orange ink that goes well with that time of the year in my opinion.

Nice review, thanks! I just picked up a bottle of this myself. I'd become hopelessly enamored of the MB Gandhi Saffron ink thanks to a review here, but it isn't something I can source locally, and I never use inks that bright, anyway. Thanks to more reviews and comparisons, I settled on Orange Indien as a compromise: still an orange orange, but not eye searingly bright. My decision turned out to be the right one, as, 1) I really like it, and 2) yesterday, I finally saw a sample of the MB ink - beautiful, but too bright for me! Yay, Herbin!

Ryan.

edit to remove an unintended smiley that ruined my sophomoric attempt at list related humour. B) b ) B)

Edited by drifting

Great review, writing and ink. I love the Herbin inks and will give this one a try based on your review. Thanks!

John

Fountain pen lover

Great review of this top ink. I ordered this ink with a large batch of other Herbin's to check it up as it seemed a good ink for editing drafts or writing some important side notes on papers. I have been using it for a few months now for this purpose and I am very happy with it. Same as in your review, I planned this ink for an italic nib, 1.1i lamy safari, orange color :D , in my case. The combination of this ink with an italic nib is simply gorgeous in my opinion, even one on the dry side as my 1.1i.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

• 4 years later...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4650415681_be93efed02_b.jpg

J. Herbin Orange Indien reminds me of the wildflowers that grew in the front lawn of my childhood home and of the tiger lilies that lined the streets of my neighborhood. It is a sumptuous, moderately saturated ink that exhibits a high degree of shading in both fine and wide nibs.

Like other J. Herbin inks, Orange Indien flows well. It is not as wet as Vert Empire or Blue Myostosis – behaving more like Café des Isles or Poussiere de Lune. On each of the papers I tested it on, Orange Indien exhibited a low amount of feathering. It was slightly noticeable in my Ecosystem journal, which is a very absorbent paper, but was not noticeable at all on Rhodia paper. Show-through was minimal, even on the thin paper of a Moleskine cahier, and I did not notice any bleed-through on any of the papers that I tested.

Dry time on a Rhodia pad and Moleskine cahier was within the range of other J. Herbin inks: about 12 seconds. On the absorbent Ecosystem paper, which normally sucks up ink like it’s going out of style, it took a surprising 8 seconds to dry completely; though this is fully in the range of acceptable dry time for me. Writing on an incline seemed to produce no noticeable increase in drying time compared to writing flat for this ink, at least in the pen I was using to test with.

Orange isn’t a color that normally factors into business use, and this ink is no exception. For journaling or other personal use, though, it is great. On white paper, it provides great contrast, and while it blends into off-white paper slightly, it is still eminently readable. Dry writing pens work perfectly fine with this ink, but it is in a wet writing pen the character of this ink truly shines – the shading is gorgeous.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4650415735_e1080c0a0e.jpg

J. Herbin fountain pen inks come in a 30ml bottle with an integrated pen rest that is suitable for displaying on top of one’s desk. This one has a picture of a tiny orange elephant on the front label.

Orange Indien is one of my new favorite inks. I plan on using it extensively for calligraphy, as the shading is impossible to resist.

Review Materials: for this review, I used a Lamy 1.9mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Joy pen for the wide strokes. The fine strokes were made using a Lamy 2000 with an EF nib. The paper is Rhodia 80gsm. I also tested using a Moleskine cahier and an Ecosystem notebook.

You can read all of my ink reviews at my blog: seize the dave.

This is lovely; now I just have to find someone that has some :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• 1 year later...

Nice review and lovely calligraphy!-) I just obtained a bottle of this and used it to write a letter to a cousin in California about the foliage here in New England. It's a good match for the current state of our trees.

To me this is a slightly "dirty" orange that reminds me of the old Made in USA Sheaffer King's Gold. Both inks are colors that often are not very legible but that bit of "dirt" makes these so. The Sheaffer ink has a lot more "dirt" and always reminded me of cheap plastic toys of 60 years ago that were trying to imitate gold. That made it seem tacky, yet I can't think of another fountain pen ink that did a better imitation of that precious metal.

Someone wondered where to get this. I got it from streetfair on eBay.

Nice review and lovely calligraphy!-) I just obtained a bottle of this and used it to write a letter to a cousin in California about the foliage here in New England. It's a good match for the current state of our trees.

To me this is a slightly "dirty" orange that reminds me of the old Made in USA Sheaffer King's Gold. Both inks are colors that often are not very legible but that bit of "dirt" makes these so. The Sheaffer ink has a lot more "dirt" and always reminded me of cheap plastic toys of 60 years ago that were trying to imitate gold. That made it seem tacky, yet I can't think of another fountain pen ink that did a better imitation of that precious metal.

Someone wondered where to get this. I got it from streetfair on eBay.

Yesterday, I just saw a bottle or two of this at Bertram's Inkwell in Rockville, MD. Bert's website: www.bertramsinkwell.com .

Edited by Tasmith