Saddleback Leather Notebook Holder

"They'll fight over it when you're dead."

That's the catch-phrase on the home page for the Saddleback Leather Company... and after taking the plunge and shelling out $140 for one of Dave's thick, gorgeous leather notepad holders in chestnut (following months of looking for the perfect leather notebook/journal cover)I believe it.

I opened the box three days after ordering online and the rich leather scent was a sensual joy. My fingers gingerly eased it from the cardboard and then I realized this was no delicate, butter-soft leather more suited to a slim skirt or fitted jacket. This was tough boot-leather - evoking images of tall, stern-looking cowboys or independent frontier women. There's a place for each type; and when I write, I am on the edge and fearless. I wanted a journal to give me that tactile pleasure, contributing to the secret places in my mind. I'll keep the other leather for other intimacies.

Now to save for one in another color. My first choice was immediately the chestnut color, but I've been fantasizing about the dark coffee brown one for the past week or so. I am a woman, so I can certainly justify a color to match my shoes and bags. Hmmm. Maybe a black one too?

Edited by amsaad

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• inkypete

• Skitch

• hookem11

Why did you start this thread? Now I want one so badly, especially now that it also fits an A4 notebook. Want one!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Yes they are quite a rugged piece of work. I got a folio in dark coffee brown, and it definitely has a different very rugged character. Now I am thinking of getting one in Chestnut as well. I have a bag in that finish, and like it a lot as well.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and I wield an extrafine point...... En garde!! :-)

Thanks for the review!

This was my high on my list for an A4 notepad, good to know you are pleased with ti.

Brilliant thing about this holder is that it holds both side bound and top bound notebooks.

Thanks for the review!

This was my high on my list for an A4 notepad, good to know you are pleased with ti.

Brilliant thing about this holder is that it holds both side bound and top bound notebooks.

The top bound side bound option is a strong feature. Adds versatility. Want one.

Thanks for the review!

Top AND side? I haven't seen anything like that before. That means I can use a regular pad or a Clarifontaine notebook. I'll definitely think about getting one. The price is a bit out there, but 100 year warranty? Now that is a business that has confidence about their future!

Ya that's the beauty of this notebook. Whether you change moods or writing styles, this holder adapts.

Can't figure out how to resize hosted images and they're too big to post here but here's the pics:

Sidebound

Topbound

Website

• 2 weeks later...

I second inkypete's comment of why did you start this thread? I went to their website and ordered one for my doane paper pads...talk about impulse buying....

This guy Dave has a great sense of humor:

"Are the animals tortured before they are slaughtered?

Absolutely not ! With some pigs we do use waterboarding and sensory deprivation techniques previous to slaughtering them, but the cows do not require any special handling."

It's worth taking a look at his web site even if you're not in the market for one of his products. thumbup.gif

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Well shoot! I had to have one in Chestnut! :puddle:

Dang this place! Between pens and leather goodies I will need to go back to teaching night classes!

Edited by Bisquitlips

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

The briefcase that they offer on that site is unbelievable. So glad that you linked this!

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool thread. I like the dark coffee brown color. It's clearly rugged looking, and was wondering if you find it very stiff? I ask because I've noticed that sometimes these types of things can be so stiff that they warp, and it's difficult to put papers in the slash pockets. Also, did you perhaps compare it to Renaissance Leather? Thanks again.

CFTPM

I second inkypete's comment of why did you start this thread? I went to their website and ordered one for my doane paper pads...talk about impulse buying....

Have you received yours? Are they as good as they look online?

A question for current owners of this product. Some leathers show marks very easily - a simple knock will create a bruise of graze. Is that the type of leather we are talking about with this product? I know many people like that worn and used look but I prefer leather that doesn't show every little knock and scratch. Appreciate your feedback.

Would have been tempted, but shipping to UK for a bag is $241!!!

However, did find this site http://www.htleather.co.uk/catalogue/satchel/satchel.html

A 12" x 10" x 4.5" with shoulder strap works out at £120, and is pretty much what I was looking for - quality looks to be very good...

Edited by Paul Hurst

M1000 M.

CS Bard IM

Visconti HS M

And that should do it!

I hope you're all happy. You just couldn't leave it alone could you? Now I've gone and ordered one of the d**n things. Looking forward to getting it though

Regards,

Al

I like the beat-up, rugged, scratched look on this kind of an item, and it's my understanding that this will be a magnet, sort-of-speak, for scratches. But talk with Saddlebag, there very friendly and responsive to their emails, etc.

CFTPM

Geeez, let me try that again ... Talk with Saddlebag, they're very friendly and responsive to their emails, etc. thumbup.gif

CFTPM

So, what tablets are you using for this great looking holder....and where do you buy them? Its probably a duh question but having used fountain pens for 30+ years, I'm in the dark when it comes to nice paper. I didn't even know what A4 was until yesterday! Go figure.

Update....sat at my office computer and figured it out!! Dang, more purchases.

So question changes...what tablets do you use?

Edited by jleeg