J. Herbin 1670

carpedavid

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1214/4611885310_1a06fcbc9c_b.jpg

I bet that if the devil ever asked you to sign a contract in blood, you could fool him by pulling out a fountain pen filled with J. Herbin 1670 anniversary ink. The color is called Rouge Hematite, after the mineral hematite, which derives its own name from the Greek word for blood. Justly so – there's really no mistaking it – this is the color of ink you'd expect to be filling Dracula's ink well.

Ghoulishness aside, 1670 is an utterly amazing dark red color with "earthy overtones" that J. Herbin developed to celebrate the 340th anniversary of the company. According to them, the ink is "a reminder of the historic color of the Herbin logo and the sealing wax used by the members of the royal courts." This description is particularly apt, for in a wet nib of any size, 1670 exhibits magnificent shading that evokes the highlights and shadows of an embossed wax seal. However, in a dry writing pen, 1670 displays another side of its personality, where the deep red gives way to dusky, orange highlights. As a result, this is one of the most complex inks I've had the pleasure of using.

1670 is highly saturated, and as a result is thicker than other J. Herbin inks. It's not quite at Noodler's ink levels of saturation, but it is close. Perhaps because of the viscosity of the ink, feathering is very low on all paper I tested it with, from the thin paper of a Moleskine cahier to the thick, absorbent paper of an Ecosystem notebook, to the reference-quality paper of a Rhodia bloc pad. Show-through on all of these papers was generally low, though it varies with the thickness of the paper; it was noticeable on the cahier paper, but not enough to be distracting. Bleed through, even with my very wet Lamy Studio, was nonexistent on everything except for the cahier, where it was present but minimal.

The drying time of 1670 is noticeably longer than other J. Herbin inks. On Rhodia paper, a wet line took between fifteen and twenty seconds to dry fully, whereas on the absorbent paper of my Ecosystem notebook, it was dry to the touch in about five seconds.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/4611275231_2ff094d486_o.jpg

Surpassing the beautiful bottling of their other inks, 1670 comes in a very special 50ml bottle. It has a gold wax seal on the front of the bottle, and the cap has been dipped in a red wax that matches the color of the ink. I have two complaints about the bottle, despite its beauty. First, the neck of the bottle is extremely narrow. It would be difficult to fit anything much wider than a Lamy Safari through, and as a result it is definitely not conducive to being able to tip the bottle to get the last drop of ink out. Second, the wax on the cap is extremely fragile and prone to crumbling. I have read that the manufacturer is planning on rectifying this in future production, but as of now, expect it to start falling apart soon after you get the bottle.

Overall, J. Herbin 1670 is an amazing ink – one that makes me excited to see what they will produce next. Though I've only had the bottle for a few days, it has already surpassed Iroshizuku Momiji as my favorite red ink. The color is dark and rich enough to be easily readable on both white and off white paper, and I see myself using it for much of my daily writing. Of any red ink that I've used, it is the best candidate for being business appropriate – there is a certain gravitas to 1670 that its cousins lack.

I'd recommend picking up this limited edition ink while you can, as it is my understanding that J. Herbin is planning on producing this only during the anniversary year of 2010.

Review materials: For the wide strokes, I used a Lamy 1.9mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Joy pen. For the fine strokes, I used a wet-writing, EF 14k gold Lamy nib on a Lamy Studio. The paper is Rhodia 80 gsm from a Rhodia Bloc No. 16 pad.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• carpedavid

• Arachiroptera Corvax

• physicsgirl

Great review and lovely hand, many thanks.

Lacker, traditionally is brittle to prevent mongering with the seals on letters. I'll be sorry if they change it to a modern plastic type wax.

Wonderful review! And I agree that the lacquer/wax on the cap is too brittle for continued visual enjoyment.

Both of my bottles suffered great loss during shipping, so my bottles never looked like the advert.

That Rouge Caroubier is also a very nice red. I think I may add it to my repertoire.

Thanks for the eye candy!

:thumbup:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

thanks for the review, its a beautiful color, i hope J. Herbin thinks about and make regular production of this ink

Are they going to continue this ink or is it limited edition?

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

Great review, this ink really seems to shine on nibs that give line variation. I've been lucky enough to see the ink in person (though not lucky enough to use it yet) and pictures just don't do it justice. Your comparison to it being quite "ghoulish" in it's blood-red quality is accurate.

Are they going to continue this ink or is it limited edition?

The info that I've been able to find indicates that it is limited to this year.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

Wonderful review! And I agree that the lacquer/wax on the cap is too brittle for continued visual enjoyment.

Both of my bottles suffered great loss during shipping, so my bottles never looked like the advert.

That Rouge Caroubier is also a very nice red. I think I may add it to my repertoire.

Thanks for the eye candy!

:thumbup:

Rouge Caroubier is a very pretty red, though I find it to be a bit bright for everyday use.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review!

my ink reviews

Great review and lovely hand, many thanks.

Lacker, traditionally is brittle to prevent mongering with the seals on letters. I'll be sorry if they change it to a modern plastic type wax.

Unfortunately when I got my bottle half the wax had already cracked off inside the box. I cracked the rest of it off, because it kept falling off and was making a huge mess. The cracking wax is great for cards/letters not being mailed, but it is not good for a coating the ink cap.

Edited: Maybe they could try it for the 1670 seal (which to seems to be the gold J. Herbin Supple wax currently), since it doesn't get touched as often.

Edited by physicsgirl
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Unfortunately when I got my bottle half the wax had already cracked off inside the box. I cracked the rest of it off, because it kept falling off and was making a huge mess. The cracking wax is great for cards/letters not being mailed, but it is not good for a coating the ink cap.

Edited: Maybe they could try it for the 1670 seal (which to seems to be the gold J. Herbin Supple wax currently), since it doesn't get touched as often.

They are changing the wax. There were 300 bottles in the first shipment to the US, but they're changing the wax now. The new bottles should be coming in June, I hope. That's part of why it's so hard to come by right now.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

They are changing the wax. There were 300 bottles in the first shipment to the US, but they're changing the wax now. The new bottles should be coming in June, I hope. That's part of why it's so hard to come by right now.

I heard they were changing the wax. I didn't care that the wax was cracked the bottle was still GORGEOUS, and the ink is amazing! :cloud9:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

This is a marvelous ink review, beautifully presented. Thank you very much.

Thanks, Rena!

my ink reviews

It is a great ink, but some fat pens won't get into the skinny neck of that pretty bottle. And watch out the first time you ink a pen, you'll likely overflow onto the string. :embarrassed_smile:

Because of the cap wax issue, Exaclair has told me they have extra caps in stock. I didn't inquire further what exactly that means, but I'd assume they are waxed caps. I can probably get my hands on some if the cap has been an issue for anyone.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Excellent review, thanks, this is a stunning colour.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 2 weeks later...

I can honestly say this the only red I've ever liked. I like Omas Vespucci, but that is extinct and more wine than red. It's a magnificent color.

This ink looks great. Anybody know where we can get it in the UK? The Writing Desk don't seem to have it on their website.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Great review. I really like this ink. Of course I have never met a J. Herbin ink that I did not like.

I heard they were changing the wax. I didn't care that the wax was cracked the bottle was still GORGEOUS, and the ink is amazing! :cloud9:

I think the wax has been changed. Just received my bottle - France to Canada - and the wax was intact. That may not be a good thing though. Now I hesitate to crack the seal and use the ink.