Parker Sonnet Chisled Tartan

jakelogan

A review on the Parker Sonnet Chisled Tartan GT Fountain Pen

Hi guys, this is my first review - enjoy!

:thumbup:

First Impressions

I got this pen without a presentation box or papers. It was snuggly packaged in a bubble wrap and a newspaper-stuffed USPS box. Opening in it up, it looked like a cheap gimmicky gaudy pen.

Appearance & Design: 7/10

At first glance, it seems to be a rebranded fancy kid's toy. To close inspection, it is actually quite beautiful and detailed in its chisled silver pattern and gold trim. The black lacquer cap jewel has spaces around the circumfrence - not sure why this was put in. I sealed it with soy candle wax so it smells good and prevents it from drying out at the same time. Back to the point, it is actually gorgeous - the nib, the three blended colors of gold, silver, and black, everything. But it isn't a pen to bring to public areas. People will ask you "how much did you pay for it? why would you pay so much for an ink stick?"

Construction & Quality: 8/10

Great construction and quality, overall most likely a long lasting pen. Not much to say here, since its standard Parker quality goodness.

Weight & Dimensions: 9/10

The pen is well balanced in weight, and the dimensions are perfect for my hand. Comfy on a three-finger pinch. The cap should be posted so that it is slightly back heavy for a lighter touch on the nib.

Nib & Performance: 5/10

Normally for a pen to be used in my rotation, the nib must write well, better than it looks. Unluckily, this nib is sub-par with its beautiful finish. The 18k-750 duo tone criss-cross lattice nib is an pretty thing to look at but it has such a narrow sweet spot and my hand cannot stay in the exact same position very long. I have to check my nib position every couple of sentences to find the sweet spot - outside of the sweet spot, it has a significant "bite." It is stiffer, drier, and toothier than my favorite gold plated stainless steel Sonnet nib. Overall a terrible nib for the MSRP price and will not go into my rotation.

Filling system & Maintainence: 7.5/10

Standard modern Parker converter/cartridge filling system, but the screw in nib is easily swapped.

Cost & Value: 6/10

At the MSRP of between $140 to $200, the pen is not very good value. It may look nice but it doesn't write nearly as well as it looks. For what I got it for its more than a bargain, but at current prices it's a no no.

Conclusion: (Not an average) 6/10

The most important part of a pen is how it writes. Too bad this pen doesn't write nearly as well as my cheap & ugly: $15 Parker Frontier, my favorite: $60 Parker Sonnet (BL GT SS nib) or the glorious: Lamy 2000. I might keep it for a while, but not for long before it goes to the FS subforum or fleabay. I wouldn't buy this again unless it would be for a friend.

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jakelogan

• Rique

• jips123

• drmom777

What a shame, rather like a lovely woman who screeches when she opens her mouth. You've written a thorough review in any event. Any chance of pictures?

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

First Impressions

I got this pen without a presentation box or papers. It was snuggly packaged in a bubble wrap and a newspaper-stuffed USPS box. Opening in it up, it looked like a cheap gimmicky gaudy pen.

At first glance, it seems to be a rebranded fancy kid's toy. To close inspection, it is actually quite beautiful and detailed in its chisled silver pattern and gold trim. The black lacquer cap jewel has spaces around the circumfrence - not sure why this was put in. I sealed it with soy candle wax so it smells good and prevents it from drying out at the same time. Back to the point, it is actually gorgeous - the nib, the three blended colors of gold, silver, and black, everything. But it isn't a pen to bring to public areas. People will ask you "how much did you pay for it? why would you pay so much for an ink stick?"

Great construction and quality, overall most likely a long lasting pen. Not much to say here, since its standard Parker quality goodness.

The pen is well balanced in weight, and the dimensions are perfect for my hand. Comfy on a three-finger pinch. The cap should be posted so that it is slightly back heavy for a lighter touch on the nib.

Normally for a pen to be used in my rotation, the nib must write well, better than it looks. Unluckily, this nib is sub-par with its beautiful finish. The 18k-750 duo tone criss-cross lattice nib is an pretty thing to look at but it has such a narrow sweet spot and my hand cannot stay in the exact same position very long. I have to check my nib position every couple of sentences to find the sweet spot - outside of the sweet spot, it has a significant "bite." It is stiffer, drier, and toothier than my favorite gold plated stainless steel Sonnet nib. Overall a terrible nib for the MSRP price and will not go into my rotation.

Standard modern Parker converter/cartridge filling system, but the screw in nib is easily swapped.

At the MSRP of between $140 to $200, the pen is not very good value. It may look nice but it doesn't write nearly as well as it looks. For what I got it for its more than a bargain, but at current prices it's a no no.

The most important part of a pen is how it writes. Too bad this pen doesn't write nearly as well as my cheap & ugly: $15 Parker Frontier, my favorite: $60 Parker Sonnet (BL GT SS nib) or the glorious: Lamy 2000. I might keep it for a while, but not for long before it goes to the FS subforum or fleabay. I wouldn't buy this again unless it would be for a friend.

"I wouldn't buy this again unless it would be for a friend"

Or, perhaps more appropriately, an enemy.

I'm sure this is raise some hackles, but IMHO almost all modern Parkers flat out suck and are over priced to boot. Nibs stiff as nails, poor workmanship, and uninspired designs. Better to buy Chinese pens.

Not really. I do agree that their high end pens such as the "premier," "duofold centennial," and this particular "tartan sonnet" suck but at the lower end it isn't really that bad

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

thumbup.gif

First Impressions

I'm sure this is raise some hackles, but IMHO almost all modern Parkers flat out suck and are over priced to boot. Nibs stiff as nails, poor workmanship, and uninspired designs. Better to buy Chinese pens.

I agree!

What a shame for a great brand as Parker. Despite, vintage Parker are really excellent pens, and some of them, classic icons.

Fabricio in São Paulo

Edited by fabrimedeiros

Great review, thanks, I used to have one of these and it was a very fine pen.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

It is very lovely. My silver Sonnet is a fougere. It is one of the early sonnets and it has always written just fine. I wonder if the problems with the sonnet nibs came later.

I have several older and newer sonnets. In my experience the writing comfort can change with each nib. Some needed a little tweaking (tines and flow) but wrote great after that.

I agree!

What a shame for a great brand as Parker. Despite, vintage Parker are really excellent pens, and some of them, classic icons.

Fabricio in São Paulo

Hi Fabricio,

I see you´re still reading about the sterling Sonnets... Unfortunately, this review is another evidence that Sonnets are not always very reliable. :(

I agree with you about the vintage Parkers (e.g., 51s and 21s) and about jakelogan said: the cheaper Parkers are still great. Two of the best nibs I have now (out of a collection of about 70 pens, including a few Montblancs and high end Watermans) belong to two Parker Frontier pens, one of them a cheapie that was bought for 10 gdp and writes like a dream...

I have one of the lacquered sonnets. My pen had some issues but it took a bit of adjusting the nib and the pen works alright. It definitely prefers parker ink. I agree with the statement about not taking it to a public place. At university i get asked how much my pen is worth all the time. Only my best friend knows that I bought it for $250 NZD. The rest i lie to and they wonder why i will always take it with me when i leave the table or my desk. My only other pen is a well worn in Waterman Hemisphere so its definitely the preferable pen.

Also mine is a 2004 model, so im not sure how that features on the timeline (i think that they came out in '93). The pen isnt bad, its just hard to keep those platinum trims looking shiny :ltcapd:

"Mate, you cant spell indispensable without the word PEN."

• 4 weeks later...

It is so unfortunate that one of Parker's most expensive pens is also so unconfortable to write with.

Such a pity!

The black lacquer cap jewel has spaces around the circumfrence - not sure why this was put in. I sealed it with soy candle wax so it smells good and prevents it from drying out at the same time.

Actually I believe the inner cap doesn't touch the inner walls tightly and the gap you noticed is there to function as a breather hole cut in the cap would. I believe they did this so as to not have to drill holes in the cap.happyberet.gif

Suggest you unplug for proper operation. Your Sonnet will be sealed into the inner cap just fine with this "gap"

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Very honest review -- and thank you. Like many, I owned a Sonnet FP and have three rollerballs. I enjoy the classical styling of the pen; however, in the case of the fountain pen, I could not get past how difficult it was to re-start the flow of ink (even after setting it aside for less than an hour).

Even with the erratic ink flow -- how much did I like the FP?: at this moment I have a couple Sonnets "saved" on an auction 'site. Hope springs eternal.

-P

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I have a Sonnet (matt black GT, if anyone's wondering) and mine writes like a dream. I even dropped it nib first onto stone once (purely accidental) and after a few days it wrote fine again.

I do have one qualm, however: Despite my Sonnet being labeled as a Fine, it is actually a Medium-Broad. As it turns out, I prefer thick luscious nibs anyway, but that's no excuse for this mismatch.

Pens Owned:

• Parker Sonnet, M nib
  • Sheaffer Calligraphy Set, F & M & B Calligraphy nibs
  • Inoxcrom Wall Street Elegance, M nib
  • Parker IM, F nib

I have a P-75, so am saved the Sonnet Saga.

The P-75 is now a bit thin for my hand, but is my other perfectly balanced pen for my hand.

Try writing with the fore finger up, instead of the pinch, perhaps there will be less problem with the Sonnet.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 8 months later...

thumbup.gif

First Impressions

I agree!

Fabricio in São Paulo

For Sonnets, I'd suggest buying an Mk1. Their nibs, IMHO, are much better.

I'm not your 'friend', bud