A tale of two Lamys

Kessel

This review is aimed at those who already own an older Lamy 2000.

Sometime last year, Lamy released an update to the design of the 2000. The changes were minute but quite significant if you like this pen. Rather than my own incompetent photos, I'll refer you here:

http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2009/04/lamy-2000-update.html

The first picture shows the two pens side by side. The newer version is on the left. Note the fully metal section under the nib, with no more U-shaped Makrolon. Other changes include a new metal inner section, a change in the weight of the pen, and a supposedly smoother piston.

As the owner of the older version of the 2000, I wanted to try the new version out. The new pen arrived today, and here are my impressions:

- The new metal under the feed is nice. If you'll recall, there were some people having issues a while ago with ink leaking out at the U-joint of the Makrolon section. This is no longer a potential problem with the new version, since there is nowhere for the ink to leak from. Perhaps Lamy sought to remedy any QC issues with this design change.

- The internal metal section is nothing you will notice unless you enjoy taking your pen apart, and you don't really have to take a 2000 apart.

- The pen feels slightly top-heavier. This might be because the metal underneath the nib simply weighs more. I did not think it changed the balance in the hand by any noticeable amount when writing.

- The piston is the best change of all. It is noticeably smoother in both directions. A small change, to be sure, but if you're using this pen as your daily writer you'll appreciate the difference almost immediately.

- I could not find any clear cosmetic differences between both versions beyond what is stated above. The front end is still polished Makrolon; the rear still has the silver dot.

- As far as I can tell, no change to the nib. Still writes like butter, just like my old pen!

Verdict: If you are not a fan of the 2000, the redesign won't change your mind.

If you are already an owner and a fan of the older version of the 2000, though, the difference in the piston action alone might be exciting to you. I know I like the new piston a whole lot better.

Unfortunately, it seems some retailers are still selling from the old stocks of the 2000. A friend who ordered one just last month received an older version. I obtained my new version from Pam Braun (no affil. etc) and I know from asking melpens over at the 'Bay that he stocks the new version for EF, F and M at the very least. If you want your new pen, you might try these two sources.

Hope this has been helpful! For those of us loyal to this wonderful model, any slight improvements are always appreciated, and it's nice to see that Lamy is constantly improving even on a design that is as old and timeless as this.

Edited by Kessel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breck

• djpyle

• Kessel

• rollerboy

Thanks for sharing your impressions with us. Very helpful, I love the older 2000 that I bought in 2003 or 4, no problems yet, but want the new one as well.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Good post, I didn't know there were other changes apart from the all metal section.

Has: Lamy Safari M, Lamy Studio Steel F, Lamy 2000 F, Ice Blue Pilot Capless M, Lamy AL-star, TWSBI 540

Wants: Pelikan M1000 or perhaps M800, Parker Duofold Centennial, Gold M for Studio, Lamy 2000 M, Visconti Homo Sapiens, some Kawecos and Rotrings

Excellent review and comparison.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Good to have this comparison. I had the old version, sold it, regretted it, and now have two of the newer style. I fully agree that the changes are for the better. The new metal section is sleeker, more robust, and the slight bit of added weight towards the nib just balances it that much better for ease of writing.

Thanks for the review.

It looks like the tines don't extend as far beyond the end of the feed on the new model. Is that true? And if so, does it make the nib any less flexible?

My Lamy is one of the older models. I love it, but I might have to get it a new brother someday.

My new model Lamy 2000 nib is very flexible.

I think of my FPs as my children.

- The pen feels slightly top-heavier. This might be because the metal underneath the nib simply weighs more. I did not think it changed the balance in the hand by any noticeable amount when writing.

That would make it bottom-heavier, no? (generally "bottom" = the nib end and "top" = the other end, so "top-heavy" would mean it's heavy at the filler knob)

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

It looks like the tines don't extend as far beyond the end of the feed on the new model. Is that true? And if so, does it make the nib any less flexible?

I'm looking at both right now, and if there is a difference it is not obvious to the naked eye.

After writing a bit more with the new version, I have to agree that there's a slight but distinct shift in the weight of the pen towards the nib. Just to check, I balanced both pens on my finger, and the balance point is indeed different. It feels very, very strange when the pen has no ink in it, but once you're juiced up the new balance writes about the same or a little better (as observed above.)

Silvermink: I always tend to think of the nib as the top! No idea why. I hope the review is clear enough, in any case. Maybe I should call it front-heavy.

Hmm. Light weight is one of the things I like about the Lamy 2000 so I don't like the fact the new one is heavier. However, if it fixes a leaking issue it's hard to argue with the design change. I'll console myself with the fact that the nib end is the least offensive place for extra weight to be added. The smoother piston of course is a positive step.

Just got a new one. The surface below the nib, (perviously the U surface) is now slight concave grind. I think previously it was flat. And yes, it is a bit nib heavy. the shape of the tipping of the nib also seem to be different. It has a slightly bigger tipping material, and I think is smoother.

disassmebling it, I find the clutch is now copper colour, previously was silver colour. And the clutch seems to be tighter, I think it varies from pen to pen.

My new model Lamy 2000 nib is very flexible.

That might just motivate me to get one!

Thanks for the informative comparison. I prefer the new section, and when I've tried a 2000 in the past I've found the piston to be tricky, so it's interesting that they've changed that. As a big Lamy fan I wish I liked the 2000 more than I do, but it's just not my cuppa for some reason.

regards

eric

Edited by ericthered2004

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

After reading your post I have to say I'm disappointed, as I recently bought a Lamy 2000 not more than 2 months ago, and it was the older version. It's still a good pen, but I always thought the filler hole area looked unfinished, and the piston isn't the smoothest in the world, and the newer one seems to have improved the overall design.

Oh well. When did this new model see the light of day?

BTW, thanks for the review! If my current Lamy dies/gets misplaced/ etc. I'll be sure to purchase a replacement from a different vendor.

To be honest, I don't know if this really changes the fact that I love this pen. I do, however, have a bit of a qualm with the fact that the design was changed, ever so slightly, from Gerd A. Mueller's original design. While I don't think these new changes radically alter the functionality of the pen, they do alter the design, which, after all, is a Bauhaus classic.

sola scriptura / sola fide / sola gratia / solus christus / soli deo gloria

Hi y'all,

I'm going to go our on a limb here and suggest that the nibs of the new pens, especially the XF, may be closer to size? I've had two with the metal section, and the XF nibs on both have been pretty skinny compared to the older ones I've owned. Coincidence?

Ralf

Hi y'all,

I'm going to go our on a limb here and suggest that the nibs of the new pens, especially the XF, may be closer to size? I've had two with the metal section, and the XF nibs on both have been pretty skinny compared to the older ones I've owned. Coincidence?

Ralf

Probably. I've written with two of the new ones in XF as well and both nibs run about the standard F, which I understand used to be the case as well.

This review is aimed at those who already own an older Lamy 2000.

Sometime last year, Lamy released an update to the design of the 2000.

- The piston is the best change of all. It is noticeably smoother in both directions. A small change, to be sure, but if you're using this pen as your daily writer you'll appreciate the difference almost immediately.

Unfortunately, it seems some retailers are still selling from the old stocks of the 2000.

Thank you for your very informative review, but please allow me two comments:

The changes in piston smoothness could be a normal variation between different Lamy 2000's and I am not aware that Lamy has changed anything on the piston design.

Some of these variations may be caused by various amount of lubricant that is used during final assembly.

I own three Lamy 2000's and two are very smooth, but the one I bought in-between is somewhat less smooth, but still no cause for concern,

Pam Braun and even major stores in Munich that I visited on a recent trip to Germany are still selling and shipping the previous version of the Lamy 2000 at this time (May 2010).

Pam Braun shipped my latest 2000 with broad nib in early May 2010, but I would expect turnover of the versions with broad nib to be slower.

I too was curious about the changes that the new design brought, but it doesn't look that his version is widely available yet.

B.

Edited by beluga