Bic Select "Turn and up"

mackthepen

I have had this pen for a couple of years now. I bought it in a supermarket for (I think) £3.49. They are still available on Amazon and other sites, but seem to be rather more expensive than that now.

Appearance - 6/10

Sold in a blister pack. The pen itself is modern, but plasticky. It looks good, but does not have the sense of being an expensive or 'quality' (whatever that might mean) piece - probably aimed at the school market, but also ideal for sitting in an adult's trouser pocket.

Construction and quality - 8/10

The construction appears to be of good quality, and the pen has been put together well. The silver finish has picked up a number of marks with fairly light use. It has a straightforward twist out design that has continued to work well without any problems. It is lightweight and I would happily drop it - in fact I'd happily throw it across the room and not expect any damage. The nib is a fairly simple stainless steel version that flows and writes faultlessly.

Weight and dimensions - 9/10 or 3/10 depending on your point of view - 9/10 for me!

A small, light, retractable fountain pen.

13g with a cartridge in situ

112.5mm closed, 118mm extended (unposted), 129mm extended (posted)

Barrel width 12.5mm, section 10.8mm tapering to 9.2mm with a little lip.

A really handy size, but maybe a bit small for extended writing sessions - posting helps with this problem though.

Nib and performance - 8/10

Only available in a slightly wide Medium to my knowledge. However the nib performs faultlessly, laying down a clean dark line that is neither too wet, nor too dry.

Filling system and maintenance - 8/10

Takes readily available and cheap short international cartridges. Looses a couple of points because it only takes one - a function of its small and retractable design. I've never had any problems with ink flow - I don't think I've even had to flush it once. Reassembling the barrel takes a little more care than on some pens due to the pitch of the barrel thread - the heavy handed may have problems, and I suppose could even cross cut the thread.

Cost and value - 10/10

Full marks at the price I paid. Maybe 9/10 at the prices currently advertised.

Conclusions - 5/6

An excellent pen for the money - exceptional value in a pen that is a consistently good writer. Doesn't have the high class appearance of the Montblanc Boheme, but as a daily use retractable pen for the average guy gives it a good run for the money (in my opinion of course!). I'm glad to have it as one of my regular pens - but probably wouldn't want it as my only pen.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/4557074015_06f4e4c3ac_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4557074407_ca5f57e59f_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3475/4557705642_372a3b4dca_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/4557705990_891e84008f_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/4557073729_6116077678_m.jpg

Andrew

Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tawanda

• mackthepen

• DanDeM

• Ed Ronax

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, thanks. A robust and inexpensive pen that looks good too, can't be bad.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

That's a Stypen UP. Bought one a few years ago and it was remarkable how many comments it received. Fun to use, and reactions were a hoot. Thanks for the review. Spot on.

Yes, it is an Stypen UP ( now BIC) and the review is very accurate. The nib is quite a nice one. Great pen for students, and backpacks. Shame it only has room for cartridges.

I have the Stypen UP! and keep in in a small bum bag (fanny pack?) on the side of my leccie wheelchair with an A7 pad. It only gets used occasionally, say when swapping w-mail address and such, but it writes perfectly every time. I'm very impressed with it.

I picked up one of these (BIC-branded as well) in Mexico and it does have a rather nice nib. I haven't used it much because I don't have a converter for it, but I've been meaning to pick one up.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Probably, but if you really want one, I may be selling mine. I've had a Sheaffer Agio for ages but didn't like the nib. Then a nib technician friend of mine worked his magic on it, and its now my favourite pen of the moment. As its as small as the Stypen Up! it will probably go in my wheelchair bag instead. If you are interested PM me.

I picked up one of these (BIC-branded as well) in Mexico and it does have a rather nice nib. I haven't used it much because I don't have a converter for it, but I've been meaning to pick one up.

You won't find a converter for it. Even the "Bantam" converter from Tryphon is too long.

• 3 years later...