Strathmore Calligraphy Pad

I'm always on the lookout for reasonably priced stationery paper. I used to like Bienfang calligraphy paper, but the front and back were different textures and how wide the pen wrote varied. I then switched to Utrecht sketch paper, which was functional, but not great. Now I've found Strathmore Calligraphy, and I think it's my perfect option. It has a nice natural white color, great texture, and a lovely laid finish. Accepts ink wonderfully, I've used flex, XXXF, and a variety of others, with many inks from different brands, and they've all been perfect. At $3.50 - $6.50, depending on dealer, for 50 sheets (100 sheets if you like A2 and cut 11.5x8 in half), it's also a great price.

What the pad looks like:

http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/127/63/12763-1085-3ww-l.jpg

A writing sample:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/pel7-1.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WillSW

• fiberdrunk

• drawline

• watch_art

The laid finish is subtle and more apparent in life. Showthrough minimal, though there.

More photos:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/str1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/str2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/str3.jpg

Edited by WillSW

WillSW: What is the ink in the last picture on the "Pelikan" you wrote ? I like it.

It's Pelikan Brown, one of my favorites. I did a review of it semi-recently, it's in the ink review forum.

This is one paper I have to try, glad I spotted it! How would you rate the smoothness?

Definitely not as smooth as Rhodia, though I don't always want paper that smooth. It has texture, but is by no means rough, and pens don't feel any less smooth on it, you can just feel the paper more than something like Rhodia. I like it a lot, I bought another pad.

I used this for a small calligraphy project recently and I enjoyed using it a lot. It's pretty good paper, and was available locally, which made it all the better.

sola scriptura / sola fide / sola gratia / solus christus / soli deo gloria

• 6 months later...

I love this paper, too, and I like that it comes in 8 1/2 x 11" size pads. The Calligraphy Shoppe in Florida (now long gone) used to sell a nice Strathmore calligraphy pad without the laid finish in this same size. I wish I could get more of that. Beautiful handwriting sample, by the way!

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know where you can get Strathmore Calligraphy paper with the laid finish? I'm wondering if it's available any more. Dick Blick carries Strathmore Calligraphy but it says it has a wove finish and the cover on the pad is different from what is shown originally on this thread. Does anyone know if this is the same paper? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where you can get Strathmore Calligraphy paper with the laid finish? I'm wondering if it's available any more. Dick Blick carries Strathmore Calligraphy but it says it has a wove finish and the cover on the pad is different from what is shown originally on this thread. Does anyone know if this is the same paper? Thanks.

I do not know if that is the same paper, but I do know that the last two pads of this paper I purchased (Sometime before Summer, probably around May) were awful. It went from being wonderful to being incredibly prone to spreading and feathering. Very disappointing. I have not used the paper since, and I haven't tried another pad. Maybe just a bad batch?

I found a pad at Hobby Lobby.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I got mine at Micheal's, but I know they have a larger supply, in various sizes at Hobby Lobby. Both stores frequently put they on sale, or Micheal's has a one item sale. If you go to Hobby Lobby, they are all the way in the back of the store. Make sure it has a price tag on it. They have a huge amount of merchandise, and they do not use bar codes. A good store to patronize. Most other stores have done away with the many employees that tag all that merchandise.

Edited by padams2359
1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

• 1 year later...

If you buy at Hobby Lobby (which I do) be sure and check for discount coupons online before visiting the store. I always print out the 40% coupon and pay $3.59 for 50 sheets of acid-free, archival laid paper (100 sheets when I cut it down to A5). :thumbup:

[IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/IMG]

I did end up ordering this paper from Dick Blick, and it is the same laid pattern I remembered. Lovely paper! Definitely my favorite.

I was also delighted to find that my local A. C. Moore carries Strathmore Parchment 200 Series. It's a 50-sheet pad of 8 1/2 x 11 in assorted tints (pale yellow, natural, gold, blue and green). Rather heavy sheets (60 lb.), like what you'd want to use for certificates and such. This is not the laid pattern, though. Alas, the local A. C. Moore and Michael's do not carry Strathmore Calligraphy. There isn't a Hobby Lobby near here, though I'd be willing to drive a ways for Strathmore Calligraphy.