MONTBLANC 31

vans4444

Montblanc 31

I bought this pen from a FPN member; I was attracted by the EF nib and also because it is a good looking pen. It is my only Montblanc. It only came yesterday, so while I accept this is a bit premature I thought I would set out my initial thoughts.

First Impression

I was please with the condition, better than I expected, but my very first thought was, this is so similar to some other German pens that I have. So, from the picture below which one is the Montblanc 31, the Pelikan MK30 or Kaweco V11?

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Montblanc313.jpg

Top to bottom, MB, Pelikan and then the Kaweco

Appearance and finish

Glossy black plastic (resin?) with gold coloured fittings and the MB snowflake on the top of the cap and the bottom on the barrel. Montlanc 31 is stamped on the cap band. The clip is very stiff. A medium size pen.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Montblanc316.jpg

Design/Size/Weight

There must have been a wind of design change blowing through German pen manufacturers in the 1960’s. I guess they wanted a change from the rounded Sheaffer Balance or Pelikan 100 type designs?. I don’t know how old the pen might be (any suggestions would be gratefully received) but it has a 1960's feel about it.

EDIT - FPN member jar kindly provided the following information. The two digit pens, 7x, 1x, 2x and 3x MBs were made from the late 50s through the mid 60s. Most had a slip on cap instead of the screw cap of the 31. Thanks jar.

The barrel has a very noticeable taper towards the bottom. The taper of the clap is less pronounced.

Capped the MB 31 is 130mm, posted 140mm and the barrel has a maximum diameter of about 12mm. This compares to the Pelikan MK30 capped of 132mm, posted 142mm, the barrel has a maximum diameter of 10mm. The Kaweco is almost exactly the same size as the MB.

The end of the barrel twists to move the piston. This part of the pen is exactly the same length as the V11 but much shorter than the MK30. I wonder if that means the Pelikan will hold less ink than the the other two?

The gold colour nib is imbedded into the section.

The cap is held in place by a screw thread taking nearly one full turn to tighten.

It weighs about the same as most other medium size pens

Nib

I assume the imbedded (is that the correct term?) EF nib is gold plated steel. It has no visible markings. The nib is about as wide as a Lamy 2000 EF but slightly wider than a Sailor EF. It is quite stiff and quite smooth. The Sailor and Lamy EF nibs are just a little smoother. Ink flow is just how I like it, medium, not wet or dry.

For comparison I wrote a few lines with the MB31, the MK30 and V11 (both of which have F nibs). Too my surprise the V11 has the smoothest nib, followed by the MK30. This might be because the other nibs are F or it might be because they are gold, so perhaps not a fair test.

Regardless of these unscientific comparisons, I like the MB31 nib

It writes very well. Not the smoothest nib I have but very acceptable. It is not quite a nail, but it is stiff.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Montblanc1.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Montblanc315.jpg

Filling System

German piston filler. It works faultlessly.

Cost/Value

It cost $85 plus postage which I think is reasonable.

Overall

This is a good pen. It is easy to use, well balanced, a pen that can be used for an extended period. It feels like a pen that will give good service for many years. A workhouse.

It is very similar to the V11 and the MK30, there really is not much to choose between them. My review of the MK30 could almost have been copied word for word, just changing Pelikan for Monblanc and F for EF.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Montblanc314.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Montblan312.jpg

Edited by vans4444

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karmakoda

• jar

• vans4444

• Ed Ronax

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review, thanks. I've been toying with the idea of getting some older Montblanc's for a while now and your review has provided very useful help and insight.

Edited by Ed Ronax

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

The two digit pens, 7x, 1x, 2x and 3x MBs were made from the late 50s through the mid 60s. Most had a slip on cap instead of the screw cap of the 31.

Really good review, with very good photos.

The interest in the sixties Montblancs seems to be growing.

There is a #31 (or is it a 32 in a 31 cap?) on eBay that is generating a lot of interest due to it's very nice 14C gold double broad nib.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Montblanc-31-1961-VINTAGE-ULTRA-RARE-Fountain-Pen-OBB_W0QQitemZ370363338807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563b601037

Your excellent review will definately add to the current upsurge in interest.

Regards

Greg

Oh, I have a #12 and #34, and my son has a #32.