SJ leaking ink

rdh

Hi,

I have an SJ that is leaking around the section where it inserts into the inner cap. I have cleaned out the cap and section and still get ink on my fingers when I write with the pen. I have switched the points with another nib that is not leaking in another Esterbrook, but it leaks in the SJ. I have pulled out the section and the sac seems to be well sealed. I am thinking that the threads are loose. Is there some way to seal them and stop the leak? Silicone grease maybe?

Another question is that the section fit is okay but still loose. Is there a good way to shim it (paper?) to tighten up that connection?

Thanks a bunch.

Dave

Edited by rdh

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rdh

• Brian Anderson

• ZeissIkon

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the pen leak, flood, or threaten to blot while you write, also? If so, you probably have a pinhole in the sac. If not, you might well have loose threads inside the section, or you might even have a cracked section (section cracks can be rather hard to spot).

Edit to add: the canonical method of tightening up a loose section to barrel joint is to apply a thin, even coat of shellac to the friction surface of the section, let it dry completely, and then test fit; repeat or sand as needed to get the fit just right.

Edited by ZeissIkon

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Does the pen leak, flood, or threaten to blot while you write, also? If so, you probably have a pinhole in the sac. If not, you might well have loose threads inside the section, or you might even have a cracked section (section cracks can be rather hard to spot).

Edit to add: the canonical method of tightening up a loose section to barrel joint is to apply a thin, even coat of shellac to the friction surface of the section, let it dry completely, and then test fit; repeat or sand as needed to get the fit just right.

Thanks ZI. No flooding or blotting. I'll check for cracks, but haven't noticed any. I understand it could be hard to see a fine crack in a black section, but I do have access to a microscope, so I'll look.

Dave

You might also check to make sure the cap is clean. While it may look clean, there may be a ton of ink under the inner cap. Soak the cap in cold water for a while and see what happens. A little drop of ammonia might speed the process along.

Best -

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Thanks Brian.

I have soaked it a lot, but it doesn't mean all is clean. I did look closely at the section and threads with a microscope. I didn't see any cracks in the section. The threads had some flecks of solid hard stuff stuck close to the barrel. I think it might have been dried ink, but I cleaned them out with a sharp pin and I think the point screwed in farther. There was still a bit of ink that got on my fingers, but it is reduced a lot. I'll let it sit for a few days and test again to see if ink still builds up or if it is no longer an issue.

Dave