Pelikan M605

ralfstc

Pelikan M605 Cursive Italic Nib

I bought the pen in Dortmund in December, very excited to have finally scooped one of the famous €99 Pelikans. There are quite a few of these still left in Galeria Kaufhaus (I saw more in Frankfurt a couple of weeks later) and was seriously tempted to buy a few for resale (at cost) on FPN.

The pen as it came was a wet medium, and was remarkably reminiscent of writing with a Sharpie—albeit one with a pleasing semi-italic nature. I sent it off to Hanover after checking that a nib exchange was possible, and got it back remarkably quickly—exactly a week from Glasgow to Germany and back. As someone who travels quite often to Germany, this was faster than I managed to make a similar trip during the Christmas slowdown this year!

However, there was a snag. The snag was that the nib had not been changed. With the pen came a rather nice note explaining that the pen had been tested and was functioning perfectly, therefore hadn’t been repaired. I was a bit confused, since I had enclosed a very polite letter explaining what I wanted done as well as a copy of the email correspondence. Hmmmm.

I now had a choice. Send it back AGAIN to Germany, or take it as a sign that perhaps more imagination was needed. I went with the second and arranged to send the pen to FPN member Oxonian to get some character put into the nib. We agreed on “sort of a cursive italic, that writes a bit like a Pilot Pluminix” (I do realise that this is like buying a Ferrari and asking it to be made to perform like a 14 year old Fiat Panda, but you know what I mean). John expressed his hope that he could do something interesting, and off it went.

This is a review of the result . . .

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/ralfstc/Pens%20for%20sale/Review%20pics/m605overall.jpg

Appearance & Design (8) – If you like this kind of thing . . .

The modern Pelikans seem to me (please don’t flame me!) a wee bit uninspired in design. Now, Pelikans are one of my two or three favourite brands of pen, but that’s because of how they write (especially the 1950s 14K nibs) rather than looks. Even the less blingy ones (like my dear departed M805) seem a little ostentatious, somehow. There are many more expensive pens that are less, well, sort of “mid-European bank manager-ish” (apologies to all the readers who work for Credit Suisse and ride a blacked out mountain bike to work). Of course, classic Pelikans are even more ludicrously colourful, but manage to carry it off with a devil may care swagger . . .

To contextualise this, I LOVE the looks of Lamy 2000s, but the 605 is more comfortable due to my big paws.

To return to the point, the M605 is a rich dark blue that does not photograph easily, but that is extremely attractive in reality. It is darker than it looks in the photos, and contrasts very nicely with the silver trim. Of all the current production Pelikans, excluding LEs, this pen is one of the most handsome. Yes, it’s the same as the rest of the 05 series in terms of being a dark colour with metal trim, but somehow looks more of a piece.

Some folk have commented that the pen looks very plasticky. I suppose it does—it’s made of plastic. But in my view it looks exactly as plasticky as the rest of the 05 line—that is, not much!

So overall, not setting the world on fire, but a very fine looking pen.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/ralfstc/Pens%20for%20sale/Review%20pics/M605open.jpg

Construction & Quality (10) – Built like a brick

This pen could not be put together better. It is solid and everything (well, the cap and turning knob!) fits perfectly. The trim is flawless and the piston is a joy to use. Excellent.

Weight & Dimensions (10) – Great size and comfortable weight

This pen does not feel at all like an M800 nor an M400. Goldilocks would like this one! I was one of the folk who find M800s a bit odd in my hand because of the weight, though I generally like the size. The 605 is a little smaller and is more like a standard pen size. I find it comfortable posted or not, and probably preferred it posted to allow more control of the nib initially but have now changed my mind!

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/ralfstc/Pens%20for%20sale/Review%20pics/m605nib.jpg

Nib & Performance (10) - Astonishing

This is an awesome nib, beautifully modified by John (Oxonian). It likes Pelikan inks best, and provides a great, lively line. Works well on Rhodia (but what doesn’t) as well as cheap out-of-the-recycling paper. The proportions of vertical and horizontal lines are very nice indeed. It gives character to my rather dreadful handwriting, so at least it is now characterfully dreadful . . .

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/ralfstc/Pens%20for%20sale/Review%20pics/M605sample.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (10) - Classic reliable piston filler

Pelikan piston filler. What else to say? Tons of ink, and it just works. I like these fillers so much that I’m changing my collecting direction to be all German (and maybe Italian?) piston fillers. They just do the job neatly and elegantly.

Cost & Value (10) – Thanks Galeria!

I bought this pen from Galeria Kaufhof in Dortmund, and wish I’d bought another. The nib modification was carried out at reasonable cost, though not cheap, and was worth every penny. Overall, for what I paid in total I am extremely satisfied. I have had much more expensive pens give me much less pleasure and satisfaction.

Conclusion (Final score: 9.7)

It’s a great looking, wonderfully writing workhorse.

Ralf

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ralfstc

• yoplaboum

• Ausrutscher der Feder

• ebluegrass

Great review, I'm sure you're really glad you went with the second option and got John to do a mod, the mans got talent.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Very nice review! I also had my bold 605 modified to a cursive italic (by folks at Pendamonium). Though I usually have 5 or 6 pens in my pockets at all times, the 605 gets some attention every day. I wish I could pick up another one for the price you paid!

Agree with you wholheartedly on the Goldilocks analogy. The M600 series is spot-on size-wise.

Very informative and entertaining review. Thank you for the pictures, including the handwriting sample showing what the modified nib produces; very attractive.

After years of thinking I'd not want any such technology-driven instruments, this year I gave in to the sheer gorgeousness of the white tortoise and the Mt. Everest special edition. I think their nibs might also benefit from some similar character.

Cheers,

Joe

Lovely! The nib is great! :) I wish you had picked up a few more at that price to resell here on FPN...but they would have been gone in a minute so I may not have gotten one anyway. This is one of the pens on my wish list. Enjoy it! :D

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7AlUqveS3BY/TCVyeRV5evI/AAAAAAAAAQU/H5N_-dpY7cA/s144/Aubrey%20on%20plaid%20paper_sm.JPG

Check out my wish list on my profile.

• 2 weeks later...

The blue is much more subdued, much deeper more an imperial blue in real life...mine is also a Gallieria Kaufhaus pen.

It's one that always seems to have ink in it.

I sent mine in for a swap of a BB, that I want to turn into a cursive Italic.

How much did it cost by John (Oxonian)?

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice review! I have a blue M605, and it's a GORGEOUS pen! :thumbup:

Edited by Fountainbass

Courtesy of our very own Petra, mine arrived during the week -- it's a peach of a pen. I loved my M405 but the 605 is the ideal size. At first the nib seemed slightly toothy, but when I flushed the Pelikan ink and refilled with Perle Noire, it was another pen entirely. It just likes the wetter ink. Can't wait to try it with some Iroshizuku.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Nice writing, and fantastic nib !!!! :clap1:

A Pelikan with a writing based on a Pluminix : that's what I'm looking for, but to ask it to a nib grinder... I don't know if I should dare it :thumbup:

If, one day, you're bored with that pen.... sell it to me !!!

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

I also just got my M605 from Gallieria Kaufhaus for the same price. It's a great pen and I completely agree with your review. My nib is a slight disappointment. It is a medium wet M. It skips now and again but is very smooth. So far I have not put much ink through it so I will flush it a few times in the hope that it helps.

Thank you for all your kind comments! I think for the price of the modification it would be best to contact John directly-- it's very affordable and certainly worth it!

The pen continues to love its daily workout . . .

R.

• 2 weeks later...

This review makes me excited to receive mine. I love my 800 and 400 and I'm certain the M605 won't be any different.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/ralfstc/Pens%20for%20sale/Review%20pics/M605sample.jpg

Beautiful green ink! I hope it is not a stupid question but what brand and color is that? I often must write in green and that green would really bring life to my rather boring work.

Tag,

That is PR Sherwood Green. It's a very nice ink, though often a little slow drying. Unfortunately, I can't remember if that's before or after I diluted it 50:50 with distilled water. After I think-- it shaded so much better after the dilution.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for reading the review,

Ralf

I have an m605 with a fine nib and aside from finding it a little smaller than ideal for me, it is a spectacularly good pen in every way.

Your handwriting is actually very good.

I find the 600 size and weight to be just about right. I say that after selling and missing an 800, but the 600 is growing on me. It just feels more navigable.

That's my great great uncle Charlie and his merchandise.

Ondine was my beloved childhood cat, with one eye blue, the other green, named for the Debussy Prelude.

Tag,

That is PR Sherwood Green. It's a very nice ink, though often a little slow drying. Unfortunately, I can't remember if that's before or after I diluted it 50:50 with distilled water. After I think-- it shaded so much better after the dilution.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for reading the review,

Ralf

Thanks! I actually searched through a bunch of ink reviews and had narrowed it down to the Sherwood Green but wasn't quite sure. The dilution probably is why it looks great. I will have to try that. Thanks again!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Beautiful green ink! I hope it is not a stupid question but what brand and color is that? I often must write in green and that green would really bring life to my rather boring work.