Yuelan Orchid 968

pkoko

This review is also available on: Writing Instrument Reviews

Yuelan Orchid 968

Mompus from FPN graciously sent me this pen for review. This pen is available from speerbob.com. I was told this pen is NOS and is no longer made so if you like it; order it soon before it is sold out.

Packaging (1/5):

The pen came in no packing just wrapped in a plastic bag. It was shipped professionally in a well protected PVC pipe.

Exterior Design (8 /10):

The pen has a classic cigar shape. It is well trimmed and looks classy yet not flashy at the same time. The writing grip has grip marker to alleviate holding the pen. It also looks like a roller ball from far which is a plus. Unfortunately the clip is designed rather flimsy and looks like an afterthought. But the clip functions very well and is easy to clip on pockets etc.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1119.JPG

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1120.JPG

Fit & finish(11/15):

Other than the flimsy clip. The rest of the pen is very well put together. The cap covers the nib securely and also posts well. The cap is also mounted flush on the barrel. The barrel is made of painted plastic and seems to be very strong. The other negative is that grip area although strong is made of hard plastic. This IMHO greatly reduced the quality feel of the rest of the pen. I would have rathered this part of the pen be made of the barrel material.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1121.JPG

Refilling (8/10):

The pen comes with aromatic re-filling system. It is very easy to use as in push the level 4 times or so. It also holds very good amount of ink for a converter. The only negative is that this pen only uses bottled ink so no cartridges. I am also not sure how it will react on airplanes etc… So it is not an ideal travel pen.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1123.JPG

Ergonomics(7/10):

This pen will grade out a 9.5/10 if the user prefers thin pens and has small hands. The pen is very light and very well balanced with cap unposted. With the cap posted, it is a little to balanced toward the rear. I have big hands and prefer pens a little wider. I also find the grip area, which is thinner, not very comfortable except for the smallest hands,

Writing performance (32/35):

This is where this pen really shines. It has one of the smoothest extra fine nibs I have ever used. This pen is ideal for those who do use mechanical pencils and prefer fine points. The pen never skipped or displayed an ink flow problems. The pen is also reasonably flexible for the size. The pen loses 3 pts because of the small ink blot while shaking and the nib is fairly plain looking. Click for more detailed writing example.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/Orchid.jpg

Value (14/15):

I believe speerbob sells these pens for under $15. These are excellent writers for the money. They also look good and can be mistaken for a more expensive pen. I just have some reservations on the clips durability to long term use.

Overall (81/100) or (83.5/100)

Overall, this pen is a really enjoyable writer. It has classic shape and looks way more expensive than it is. This pen is a workhorse pen that is meant for those with small hands or handwriting. If you do mathematic problems with a mechanical pencil before and need a FP then this pen is ideal. I really like this pen and I plan on keep using it in my rotation. If only it was a little thicker?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by pkoko

I think of my FPs as my children.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mompus

• Ed Ronax

• pkoko

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

This review is also available on: Writing Instrument Reviews

Yuelan Orchid 968

Mompus from FPN graciously sent me this pen for review. This pen is available from speerbob.com. I was told this pen is NOS and is no longer made so if you like it; order it soon before it is sold out.

Packaging (1/5):

The pen came in no packing just wrapped in a plastic bag. It was shipped professionally in a well protected PVC pipe.

Exterior Design (8 /10):

The pen has a classic cigar shape. It is well trimmed and looks classy yet not flashy at the same time. The writing grip has grip marker to alleviate holding the pen. It also looks like a roller ball from far which is a plus. Unfortunately the clip is designed rather flimsy and looks like an afterthought. But the clip functions very well and is easy to clip on pockets etc.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1119.JPG

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1120.JPG

Fit & finish(11/15):

Other than the flimsy clip. The rest of the pen is very well put together. The cap covers the nib securely and also posts well. The cap is also mounted flush on the barrel. The barrel is made of painted plastic and seems to be very strong. The other negative is that grip area although strong is made of hard plastic. This IMHO greatly reduced the quality feel of the rest of the pen. I would have rathered this part of the pen be made of the barrel material.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1121.JPG

Refilling (8/10):

The pen comes with aromatic re-filling system. It is very easy to use as in push the level 4 times or so. It also holds very good amount of ink for a converter. The only negative is that this pen only uses bottled ink so no cartridges. I am also not sure how it will react on airplanes etc… So it is not an ideal travel pen.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/IMG_1123.JPG

Ergonomics(7/10):

This pen will grade out a 9.5/10 if the user prefers thin pens and has small hands. The pen is very light and very well balanced with cap unposted. With the cap posted, it is a little to balanced toward the rear. I have big hands and prefer pens a little wider. I also find the grip area, which is thinner, not very comfortable except for the smallest hands,

Writing performance (32/35):

This is where this pen really shines. It has one of the smoothest extra fine nibs I have ever used. This pen is ideal for those who do use mechanical pencils and prefer fine points. The pen never skipped or displayed an ink flow problems. The pen is also reasonably flexible for the size. The pen loses 3 pts because of the small ink blot while shaking and the nib is fairly plain looking. Click for more detailed writing example.

http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/Reviews/FP/Pics/Orchid.jpg

Value (14/15):

I believe speerbob sells these pens for under $15. These are excellent writers for the money. They also look good and can be mistaken for a more expensive pen. I just have some reservations on the clips durability to long term use.

Overall (81/100) or (83.5/100)

Overall, this pen is a really enjoyable writer. It has classic shape and looks way more expensive than it is. This pen is a workhorse pen that is meant for those with small hands or handwriting. If you do mathematic problems with a mechanical pencil before and need a FP then this pen is ideal. I really like this pen and I plan on keep using it in my rotation. If only it was a little thicker?

Thanks for reading.

My thanks to Pokoko for his excellent review (though I'm not in complete agreement with a couple of his observations*).I am the supplier of various Chinese pens, including this model, but I think We should all be grateful that Pokoko's out there documenting such arcane asiatic species.

As fortune would have it, Speerbob chose the very day these "Yuelsns" were reviewed, to go A.W.O.L. (I understand He's visiting an ebonite mine in Upper Volta). Anyone champing at the bit to purchase one of these may take comfort in the knowledge that Bob will be back in harness early next week.

Best

Mompus

*That pocket clip may look a bit delicate, but it's actually forged steel. Also, the barrel is lacquered aluminum with a threaded plastic liner.

M.