Diamine Amazing Amethyst

dandelion

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S6ynS8lVb4I/AAAAAAAASyo/4dbWjz3Txbc/DSC00419.JPG

A bespoke colour that seems to be on its way to be one of Diamine's regular inks - thanks to the person who ordered this ink and to Diamine that provides this to its other customers.

Pens used : Stipula Ventidue (22) with a 1.1 mm italic & Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian with a broad nib.

Paper: Ordinary 80 g copy paper.

Colour: This is a very special colour - it is somewhere on the verge between violet and purple. It is muted, but not dull - more like a gleaming, dark amethyst.

It shades in a rich, beautiful way - from medium pale to very dark amethyst violet-purple. This shading makes the amethyst perfect for use in a broader nib and/or italic/stub. The colour is original and I like it very much. Its non bright colour makes it suitable for most purposes, maybe with the exception of more conservative office use. In all: an original and beautiful ink that it is a pleasure to write with.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S6yhb3ppDsI/AAAAAAAASus/NiJ_meDjpCQ/DSC00421.JPG

Flow & lubrication: The flow is very good - I've not experienced any clogging problems. It is nor wet or dry. The lubrication is good, but not extra ordinary. It doesn't add smoothness to a toothy nib, but it doesn't make a smooth nib more toothy. One could say that its lubrication is neutral.

Feathering, bleedthrough and water resistance: The feathering and the bleed through is minor on most fountain pen friendly papers. On this copy paper it is slightly more than minor, but it is not a problem if you don't deep study it.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S6y8_WhMIFI/AAAAAAAAS4c/QrRMMUZG4eY/amazing%20drying.jpg

The amethyst isn't a water resistant ink, but I've done two water tests. Above I did a minor water test by stroking the alphabet with a dampe/fairly wet towel. Below is a water test where the paper was put under a running tap for about 1 1/2 minute and then patted semi-dry with household paper and then left to dry. The amazing amethyst seems to be even less water resistant than its fellows (Diamine Damson, Diamine Imperial Purple and Pilot Violet) , but I think it would handle a spilled glass of water quite well - if patted dry fast.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S6zH8q6UNJI/AAAAAAAAS6Q/_uKB9bpgfDM/amazing%20soak.jpg

In all this is a very beautiful and pleasant ink that I really like to use - especially in broader nibs that do it justice. In a narrow nib its exquisite shading doesn't show properly, but it is nevertheless nice in a narrower nib too. One of my current favourites. Another thing I like is that Diamine sells this ink in small, cheap 30 ml bottles - easy to try - and one can put it in a glass bottle if one doesn't like the plastic bottle it comes in - and use the plastic while travelling.

This review is also posted with more photos at my blog here.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• adyf

• Scriptorium Pens

• Ed Ronax

Very nice review. I like the color, it looks like a muted non shiny version of the truly amazing Levenger Amethyst, which feathers and bleeds through quite a bit but is a beautiful ink color. The range of purples/violets available in the market makes it a hard decision when it comes to buying, isn't it? Thank you, Dandelion.

Thanks dandelion for the great review of what I also consider a fine ink from Diamine. Good job!:thumbup:

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Exquisite!!!! Review and ink! Thanks Dandelion.thumbup.gif

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Thanks for positive response! I must say that I find it quite difficult to find a good purple/violet for every day use, but this seems perfect for it. Many are too blue, too bright, too...everything, but this is muted, violet-purple and not boring.

I recently got a bottle of Diamine Violet which I like alot. I prefer bluer purples to redder purples and this looks interesting as well. Darker than Violet and the shading is nice. Thanks for the excellent review.

The secret of zen is just two words, not always so.

Shunryu Suzuki

Great review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

As always, I love your reviews. This color really shows off in your wide-nibbed pens. It's one of my very favorite inks overall, and certainly one of my favorite purples, along with Damson, Scabiosa, & Sailor Shigure.

Does anyone know how this compares with Montblanc Violet?

MB Violet is redder and not as muted as Diamine AA.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Love this Diamine color, I really prefer the purples that go more grape than red.

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

+1 - they are actually miles away from eachother. The MB Violet is much more similar - one of the siblings, but not twin - to the Diamine Imperial Purple or the Herbin Purple Violet. This is a muted violet with a hint of purple and some grey.

Thanks for this information.

• 2 months later...

Great review! This is a lovely ink for everyday use. It adds a dash of color to your day without being flashy. Gigi