Sailor Recruit

Octo

The sailor Recruit has interested me since I first learned of it on FPN, but a search did not produce a review.

The Recruit is a small pen, though when posted is slightly longer than my posted Cross Century Classic. The diameter of this slender pen is only about 1.5 mm greater than a Sheaffer Skrip cartridge. The pen is very light, which I like because light pens do not tire the hand as heavier pens do.

The Recruit slips very comfortably into the notch worn into the last bone of my long finger by years of FP use. I hold the pen high on the section and partly on the silver-colored ring between the section and barrel.

The nib (labeled Sailor F-55) produces a line similar in width to the Cross Solo F nib, but with wetter flow. Contact with paper is smooth.

The Sailor Recruit is often the pen I reach for for both quick notes and extended writing sessions. It would fit the pen loops on most journals and checkbooks. Those who like light, slender pens might consider this one.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• Yuki Onitsura

• Octo

• jakelogan

Here is an image for you form Jetpens:

http://www.jetpens.com/images/sailor_12-0111-040.jpg

A pen for the small and slender lovers. Not one that I enjoyed ( a brief test from at a shop). Thank you for the review.

Thanks for the review. It's quite an elegant looking pen and looks like another good one for FP beginners.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Nice review. I find it to be a little more on the dry side - imho the pen feels cheap in your hand but looks very nice. I use it for writing in books.

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

• 10 months later...

This was my first non-disposable fountain pen, and I love it. It is still one of the first pens I reach for. However, I like slim pens. My only complaint is the line is a little thick for a Japanese F nib.

• 1 month later...

Ah I LOVE this pen! It was the first pen I bought off of Jet Pens when I decided to try my hand (forgive the pun) at fountain pens again. I am absolutely in love with it, so much so that I bought two of them. However (and perhaps this speaks to the way in which less expensive pens are produced), the quality of writing differs between them. With my original pen I get a rich, dark wet line when it is filled with Sailor Nano black cartridges. It glides smoothly over paper; even cheap printer paper tends not to snag nib. By contrast, the backup I bought, while still delivering a lovely wet line, tends to be scratchy on paper. Even on my "good" paper (currently Kokuyo Campus notebooks) I get resistance and some scratchiness which seems strange because it doesn't impede the ink flow.

All in all, I love the lines this pen delivers. It's just wet enough and the Nano ink is glorious. (I've been trying to get used to a Pilot Cavalier lately... The writing style between these two are like night and day!)

In rotation:

Mont Blanc Noblesse Marble Blue Laquer EF

Sailor Recruit Fine

Pilot Cavalier w/ J. Herbin Violette Pensée

Uniball Signos 0.38mm (Gasp! Not FPs, I know!) ;)