Noodler's Periwinkle

Alexandra

What a pleasant surprise. After almost giving up hope of finding a pen Noodler's Periwinkle will work with I tried it in a Platinum Preppy on Apica paper with success.

The flow is good--not just, "I'll live with it because I like the clolor," but actually good. I can now use the ink that's been sitting on the shelf for over a year.

Yay! What a great day! :bunny01:

Shading: None

Dry time: Super fast, under 2 seconds

Bleed through: None

Start up: The worst

Bulletproof: yes

For the handwritten review see the attachment.

Periwinkle.pdf

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexandra

• reprieve

• scratchy

• i.like.whiskey

Hi Alexandra,

I gave up on Periwinkle in under a week of buying it! I'm glad you can use yours with this combination. I have been thinking about getting a couple of preppys although I do prefer broader nibs. The closest ink I have to Periwinkle in hue is the cartridge-only Pilot Purple. I keep meaning to post a review...

scratchy

Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib

Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib

Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib

Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib

Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

I had nearly given up hope too and I feared putting it in one of my nicer pens. I've been writing with it a lot today and still get good flow. I'm thinking of ordering a couple more Preppys. If they works with Periwinkle, they'll work with anything.

www.lettermatters.com

I love the color of this ink, but I just didn't want to fight with it. If anyone else is looking for a substitute, try Iroshizuku Ajisai--it's very similar in color, dries fairly quickly, and, most importantly, has excellent flow. See here for a really good scan.

I had nearly given up hope too and I feared putting it in one of my nicer pens. I've been writing with it a lot today and still get good flow. I'm thinking of ordering a couple more Preppys. If they works with Periwinkle, they'll work with anything.

This is great news. It is also still doing very well in my Lamy Joy - nice, wet (really!), and even started up right away after no use for a couple days. Glad to have these options. I may even buy another bottle to celebrate...

I love the color of this ink, but I just didn't want to fight with it. If anyone else is looking for a substitute, try Iroshizuku Ajisai--it's very similar in color, dries fairly quickly, and, most importantly, has excellent flow. See here for a really good scan.

I also adore ajisai, and have used it as my periwinkle substitute. But mine was always more blue than the Noodlers Periwinkle, so I'm glad to have both options... :D

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I also adore ajisai, and have used it as my periwinkle substitute. But mine was always more blue than the Noodlers Periwinkle, so I'm glad to have both options... :D

You're right: Ajisai is a bit bluer. For me, the difference in color is not significant enough for it to be worth the epic battle with Periwinkle. Also, I am just stubborn. :embarrassed_smile:

Alexandra, your attachment is a very pretty sample. Thanks for this review.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Pretty colour, pretty handwriting! Interesting review.

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

• 10 months later...

hi alex. you make the ink look good with your beautiful handwriting!

i finally got a bottle of this and it took a lot of testing and trying with different pens til' i got the write combo. it finally found a place in my pilot scholar, F nib. funny too, cus' that's a scratchy nib and this ink is really dry. but it worked out fine. doesn't skip or start late!

still, my fav periwinkle looking ink is PR Purple Haze.

Strangely enough, my Platinum Preppy is still not that great with Periwinkle. I bought a bunch of those things (and use all of them) with other inks and they're great. I even had some trouble with Periwinkle in the Noodlers piston filler pen. Odd.

I like the color, but find it maddening that it won't flow in anything I own.

• 1 year later...

Just sparked it up a few days ago in a 1911 Sailor Large, M nib.

No problem with flow, a unique quick drying experience.

Falls into that category of Noodler's Bream or Violet Vote, not as brilliant as posted in the reviews (which I rarely duplicate in the first place.)

So should we add this to the list of inks that people should consider if they have a fast flowing pen and want to slow it down and get a thinner line?

So should we add this to the list of inks that people should consider if they have a fast flowing pen and want to slow it down and get a thinner line?

I don't know about that. Perhaps it's time to more experimenting. I haven't used Periwinkle in some time and think I may give it another go, see how it does in my wettest nib.

www.lettermatters.com

• 2 weeks later...