Pilot Legno 89s

Lehnsherr

Here's a small write up about the Pilot Legno 89s. It's a small size pen and I presume its similar to the Prera. Not only that, the pen seeks resemblance with the Stella 90s and Legance 89s in almost every aspect except for material.

Material

Pilot stated that this pen is crafted out of コムプライト(樹脂含浸カバ材), which translated to "resin impregnation birch" I think it's birch wood with a layer of waterproofing resin over it. The wood has a matte finish, and does not appear to look as if there is a layer of resin over it, nor the smell of plastic. In fact it even has a faint smell of wood on it. I think Pilot has done really well on this aspect.

Size

As I have mentioned this pen is a small sized pen. I took some pictures of it beside a ruler but the photos turn out as if I didn't measure it correctly so I am going to state the dimensions here:

Capped: 120mm

Uncapped: 107mm

Posted: 133mm

Diameter (thickest at barrel): 11mm

Feel in Hand

I have an average sized hand and could use the pen both unposted and posted. However I think that due to it's size, most people would prefer to use the pen posted. Balance is overall ok as the pen is short. However it might not be the pen for long writing sessions. The pen cap does sits well posted but not very tight, which is what I prefer.

Looks

The woodgrain pattern on the pen definitely made it look more expensive that it really cost. It is very obvious and color looks great over the other wooden Japanese pens that has the usual brownish color.

Nib

Mine is a 14k Pilot Fine nib and Pilot uses it's Size 3 nib on it. Writes perfectly without a flaw :)

Filling System

Will take a CON-20, CON-50 or cartridge. Nothing fanciful here with the usual c/c suspects from Pilot

Overall Grade

I would give it a 9/10 for a grade. I think that the size of the pen is subjective but for such a small pen Pilot should allow the pen to be posted more securely. Although it wasn't a great issue but I did experience once, when I felt the posted cap coming loose.

Now for the pictures:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7938/cappeds.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5575/postedi.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/53/dsc02314m.jpg

Edited by Lehnsherr

Currently Using: Pelikan M805

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lehnsherr

• Ed Ronax

• thecla

• Angel91

Top Posters In This Topic

a japanese pen with an italian name (guess that's not uncommon)... nice!!!

thanx for sharing!

Edited by lovemy51

Very nice little pen! And you're right, it does look quite a bit like the Legance.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Great review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 5 years later...

I don't have this pen so I can't talk about my experiences but I do know that Pilot has several pen models that have this same nib and section: Stargazer (aka Stella 90s), Legance 89s, and Custom 98 (without rhodium plating).

If you want to know about nib performance then it might be a good idea to look at reviews of those. The Stargazer I think is is the most commonly reviewed.

Edit: And if I'd read the original post I would've noticed that it already mentions all of those.

Edited by thecla