Montegrappa Tertio Millennio Adventiente Limited Edition

offbase

INTRODUCTION

The Montegrappa Tertio Millennio Adventiente is a pen I have lusted after for many years, going back to the very first time I saw a photo of it. While I realize that there is an obvious religious aspect to this pen (and I am a Roman Catholic, myself), this pen is a piece of (functional!) art that should transcend any religious "boundaries" and be appreciated solely on its own merits as a piece of art and, indeed, a writing instrument. I am not a Muslim, but I can certainly admire the beauty of a splendid domed mosque, and what -- if anything -- can beat the beauty of the Taj Mahal? Enough of that, you get the idea.

Unfortunately, these pens are rarely up for sale (until the current economic climate seems to have forced the hands of several poor souls), and when you do, they're pricey -- generally on the higher end of the $2,500-$3,000 scale. This is not bad for a pen that was issued in 1998 at an MSRP of $1,950! Buying this pen sight unseen can be a tricky matter, because depending on where and how any given example was stored for the past 12 years, the level of tarnish can range from non-existent to "they must have used that pen for fish tackle." (Kudos to Ghost Plane for the latter pearl of wisdom!)

Luckily for me, FPN's own Bryant Greer of Chatterley Pens/Pentime.net was aware that the Tertio was on my "got to have" list, and gave me a call from a recent pen show to tell me he had found one -- minty fresh -- and would be happy to arrange its acquisition for me. Bryant went through a lot of trouble, including shipping the pen to me and following with the boxes and papers after he had received them about 3 weeks later -- thanks much, Bry, you're not just a pen pusher, but a true friend!

On to the review. Please note that my ratings are based upon a comparison with other limited editions. What might be a "3" on cost & value for a regular issue, fancy user pen could easily be a 10+ for an LE. The ratings are made in comparison with other Montegrappa LE's, as well as Visconti, MontBlanc POA, etc.

I. THE PRESENTATION.

The Tertio Millennio scores off the charts on the "WOW!!!" factor. One is presented with an extremely large and sturdy outer box with the base being a photograph of fine Italian white marble. On the top, superimposed above it, is what appears to be a sheet of lined paper with writing in the hand of Pope John Paul II, although I can't be 100% certain, because it is written in Latin! Superimposed upon this, in the very center of the top lid, is a representation of the pen's main theme, a white dove surrounded by an elipse of light, radiating from bright yellow to yellow orange, to reddish orange, taken from a magnificent stained glass window in St. Peter's Cathedral. The front of the outer box flap contains a seal bearing the individual pen's serial number. So, far -- WOW! -- so good.

Opening the lid of the outer box led me to drop my jaw a bit ...

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/052.jpg

... as I was confronted with a small scale replica of said stained glass window, tastefully presented here as the top of the box's lid.

The box itself is, indeed, a work of art. Pulling it from the outer box, one holds a heavy representation of a hollowed-out, pink marble architectural column laying upon a black wooden base. You actually have to touch it to see that it is not, in fact, marble, but likely wood with an extremely meticulous and skillful paint job.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/055.jpg

Opening the lid first reveals the stained glass (actually plastic, but again, one has to touch it to be sure) miniature forming the lid and, on peering down, a red satin pillow with fancy satin cording framed around it and ending in satin tassles. Pulling this out one finds the pen, itself, laying upon a nearly identical, cord-framed satin pillow. Both pillows are empblazoned in gold with the Montegrappa 1912 logo. The papers lay beneath the lower pillow, shaped to the case.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/056.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/059.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/057.jpg

The contents laid out:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/060.jpg

I think you can guess that for presentation, I give: RATING: 10

II. APPEARANCE AND DESIGN.

Now, on to the pen, itself. I think it is a real masterpiece set out in parchment celluloid, sterling silver and opaque enamels.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/005.jpg

Size comparisions with the Montegrappa White Nights -- a huge pen:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/008.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/offbase/Italian%20Pens/TERTIO/011.jpg

I think that the appearance speaks for itself, but I'll add a few comments.

The Barrel:

The barrel itself is constructed of a beautiful, pearlescent parchment celluloid, which gives one the impression of Renaissance era parchment. Atop it lies the sterling silver and enamel overlay.

The sterling engraving is absolutely top rate, and appears to be a combination of Montegrappa's proprietary low relief (the very base, parallel lines representing the sun's light, as well as the underlying texture of the clouds) and high relief (the angels, clouds, and what I call "the centerpiece"). The "centerpiece" is at the forefront. The "centerpiece" is a representation of the slightly elliptical stained glass window. It has an outer frame of high relief sterling, and inner frames (or window panels, if you will) done in the same manner. In lower relief, very center is a white-enameld dove (representing the holy spirt), radiating bursts of light in low relief parallel lines bursting from center, and overlaid with incredible enamal work gradutating from a golden yellow center to a deep reddish orange at the outer ends, with graduated shades of yellow-orange in between. Around the centerpiece, angels hover amongst the clouds (filled in a combination of white and sky blue enamels), playfully basking in the radiant light.

The Cap:

The cap ring is a representation of (I believe) the windows of St. Peter's Cathedral. The key shaped clip is a masterpiece, the key of St. Peter, which is, I believe, the symbol of the Vatican. The top is a dome of sterling silver, capped by a red semi-precious stone.

Overall, the appearance is a solid 10!

The intangible aspects of the design of a pen are its gripping and handling properties while writing. While it is no doubt a heavy pen, it is perfectly balanced and comfortable for writing unposted. I wouldn't dare attempt to post it for fear of scratching something, but I think one would find it extremely back heavy, as most of the cap's weight is concentrated at the very top. For a limited edition of this opulence, I have to give the design top scores, as it is definately designed first and foremost as a writing instrument.

RATING: 10

III. CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY.

The Tertio Millennio Adventiente is meticulously crafted. As a pen, it is solidly built and absolutely functional, from the tip of its medium nib to the piston knob at the top. The piston mechanism operates smoothly and has no play in it. RATING: A SOLID 10.

IV. WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS.

Subjectively, it is a heavy pen, but no overly heavy, as on Montegrappa's Eternal Bird and other "sculpture" pens. It weighs about the same as most other overlay pens of its size (@5.75" capped). If you like your pens on the heavy side (as I do), this one is sure to please, as it is big and very well balanced unposted. I give it a 10 in that regard, but I'm lowering the overall score to 8 in this regard due to it being essentially non-postable. RATING: 8

V. NIB AND PERFORMANCE.

The nib is huge; think MB 149 sized, with the wide appearance of the Montegrappa Extra 1930! In 1998, it was the largest nib ever made by Montegrappa! It is a custom engraved and two-toned (gold) nib mirroring the stained glass window "centerpiece" of the pen. I cannot get it to photograph, but you can find a picture at the bottom of the page, here:

Link to Pensinasia's photos

Appearance wise, this nib is a solid 10!

Performance:

Yes, this "collector" is also a USER! I have inked every one of my LE's within a few hours of receiving it, and this one was by far no exception.

My White Nights LE has an identically sized nib in fine, and is the smoothest, wettest writer I've ever experienced out of the box. I was expecting similar miracles from this one. Unfortunately, it is not quite so good a writer as the White Nights. It certainly writes well enough and is smooth with a bit of feedback, but it lacks that wet, smooth line I have come to associate with Montegrappa. I'm convinced it is a simple flow matter, and I plan to have the flow adjusted upwardly, and to have the nib smoothed a tad, just to be on the safe side. This is all subjective, of couse, and those who like moderately wet pens with a bit of feedback might call this a 10. I, however, rate the writing performance as an 8.

Appearance (10) + Performance (8) = RATING: 8

VI. FILLING SYSTEM.

Not much to say here. Montegrappa's usual solid, smooth piston filling system. The pen holds a good amount of ink, less than an Omas Milord or Paragon, but more, it seems, than a Pelikan M400. Can't ask for more. RATING: 10

VII. COST AND VALUE.

As stated above, the "value" rating of a limited edition of this caliber can only be compared to similar releases. Bryant got me a great deal on this pen -- original, 1998 MSRP for a mint example! That being said, can one get a MB Patrons of the Art (which has less hand work and far inferior overall presentation) for $1,950? Not very often! Considering what that amount buys in Pendom these days, I can only conclude that I have never gotten more bang for my pen dollar. RATING: 10

CONCLUSION

The Montegrappa Tertio Millennio Adventiente is a (masterpiece!) work of art, a wonderfully functional writing instrument, and a complete package of an artistic concept masterfully brought together in the pen, packaging and accessories. It is my grail, and I hope I never find something that actually equals it in my eyes -- I just can't afford it!

RATING SUMMATION:

Presentation 10

Appearance

& Design 10

Construction

& Quality 10

Weight &

Dimensions 8

Nib &

Performance 9

Filling System 10

Cost & Value 10

OVERALL RATING: 9.5

Edited by offbase

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• offbase

• shrinknib

• buffalowings

• frans-utrecht

all that packaging for a pen? seriously? :blink:

just kidding..great review!

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Stunning pen and a great looking box however I do get the impression of a toilet with the seat up when I look at it ;)

I am not a Hindu, but what -- if anything -- can beat the beauty of the Taj Mahal?

I'll be annoying here and point out that the Taj Mahal was build by a Muslim ruler in India as a Mausoleum for his dead wife. Nothing to do with Hinduism - we burn our dead.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Stunning pen and a great looking box however I do get the impression of a toilet with the seat up when I look at it ;)

I am not a Hindu, but what -- if anything -- can beat the beauty of the Taj Mahal?

I'll be annoying here and point out that the Taj Mahal was build by a Muslim ruler in India as a Mausoleum for his dead wife. Nothing to do with Hinduism - we burn our dead.

Siv,

Edited (sorry). I actually knew that, but as I was typing fast and thinking of examples, well ... you know, brain fart.

I'll have to remember your "other" comment the next time the loo is out of commission ... could come in handy! :lol:

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

What a beautiful pen.

You have found your pen soulmate Offbase.

Now don't let your heart wander!

I hear someone we know who recently acquired a grail pen no longer has it- I hope this one stays with you for a very long time- and I hope you use it!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

Excellent review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

The review was absolutely top-notch, but ironically . . .

I was more interested in the Montegrappa White Nights pen in the pictures.

What a stunning pen!

As the recent new owner of a montegrappa limited edition (the historia, made one year later than yours) I can attest to the exquisit quality of these pens. Yours though goes way beyond my humble one!

To me these Montegrappas are like the Rolls Royces of the pen world, exquisite materials put together with care and dedication.

Congratulations on a wonderful pen!

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic pen! Fantastic photographs! Fantastic review! Congratulations :clap1:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

stubbed it yet??

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

• 4 months later...

Thank you for a great review of a great pen. Your pictures very much help to tell the story.

This pen has been a favourite of mine for many years, but as I have to lock my pens away in a safe in the bank I only seldom get to see them and thanks to your review and pictures I was again stricken by its beauty.

This beauty lies not only in the physical aspects of the pen. It owes much to the symbolism that is an integral part of the pen. You mentioned this fact and most of these symbols like The Holy Spirit, St. Peter's key, the putti, a reference to the windows of the dome of St Peter's in Rome. But you did not comment on the name of the pen: Tertio Millennio Adveniente, which in my rusty latin translates as At the approach of the third millennium. It is the title of an apostolic letter by John Paul II, dated Nov. 1994 "on preparation for the jubilee year of 2000".

In its original form, Tertio Millenio Adveniente, it sounds melodious, poetic even. It is a story told in just three words and connects past, present and future. It connects four millenniums and spans two. This pen is beautiful in all aspects and deserves it's fascinatining name.

Though I do not adhere to any religion anymore, I was brought up a RC like you and therefor I am best acquinted with christian and especially RC symbolism and art.

So I hope you'll forgive me a minor correction, not of your review of the pen, but of your description of the window with the dove in Saint Peter's Basilica. The window is part of the Cathedra Petri, the Chair (or throne) of St. Peter by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The window is made of thin sheets of alabaster and the dove is painted. There are forms of alabaster that are white and translucent and until proven otherwise, I take it all of the window is made of alabaster.

I am sometimes shy of actually using LE pens, but your description of its writing qualities, allthough you did not find them completely satisfactory, has stimulated me to try and use mine for a while.

Until a Graphyscaf was lugged into my home, the casing of this pen was the most extravagant I could imagine. It adds greatly to the costs of transportation and even storage! I could wish pen manufacturers would have some mercy with us, pen collectors with limited storage capacity.

And if my ways are not as theirs- Let them mind their own affairs. A.E. Housman