Review: Pen pouch by Rainyday2306

holgalee

In early February, I contacted Nan (rainyday2306) about customising a pen pouch. I wanted one with individual slots for three or four fountain pens and a common slot for other stuff. I didn't want it to be big as I usually carry relatively small pens such as the Pilot Decimo and Pelikan M200. The fabric has to be medium or dark coloured and neither too loud nor feminine in design. Nan and I debated about the benefits of pouches and wraps, the width of the pouch, which fabric to use and whether to have a monogram. She showed me photos of wraps and pouches that Ling had made as well as customised.

On the third day after finalising the details--which was coincidentally the second day of Chinese New Year--Nan announced that my pen pouch was done! She sent me a link to the photos of the finished pouch. I wasn't entirely convinced that Ling had little elves working for her, and felt a little bad that she was working over the festive period. However, the post office in Taiwan--where Ling is--would open only on the eighth day of Chinese New Year, so I had to wait a few more days.

As the week progressed, I got a little antsy waiting, and thought of dropping a note to ask when my pouch would arrive. But when I got home today, I saw an exotic envelope waiting for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/lubitel/P1010172er.jpg

Here's the Rainbow Drops pouch and all the stuff that I will attempt to fit in. I find it difficult to carry just two to three pens, but three fountain pens, a highlighter, an eraser, and a ballpoint-cum-pencil seem like the minimum I can live with. Frankly, I don't need three fountain pens for work, but it's nice to have some choices! The pouch is 8cm in width and about 15cm in height.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/lubitel/P1010180er.jpg

And here's all the pens looking cosy in the pouch. I didn't want the pouch to be too wide, so the slots are a little snug, but that means that the pens won't fall out accidentally. I like the fabric, though the colors turned out to be a little lighter than I expected. The colourful dots look playful and a little flamboyant, while the grey/black stripes remind me William Blake's "Tyger, tyger, burning bright".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/lubitel/P1010179er.jpg

I've had the pouch for just a few hours, and its looks just keep growing on me. Kudos to Nan and Ling for being so patient, efficient and humourous throughout, and here's wishing you many more delighted customers in the tyger year ahead!

*Note: I'm not affiliated to Nan (rainyday2306) nor Ling, just a satisfied customer.

Edited by holgalee

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• holgalee

• dannyboy

• Mr Ink

• xuan87

Oh, I meant to add a little more about the pouch: mine has three slots at the back and a common slot in front, in case it's hard to make out from the photos. The machining is immaculate and the case is sturdy without being hard. It weighs less than 30g, which is quite light compared to some leather cases.

Someone asked on another thread how the ordering works. I believe you can order a pre-made one from Nan and Ling's site, or get one custom made to your specifications, like I did. You can choose the number of slots, fabric, closure, whether you want monograms, etc. The total cost for mine, including shipping to Singapore, was $38.50. I think the cost is very reasonable, given the quality of the workmanship, the speedy turnaround and the excellent communication. :)

Edited because of typo.

Edited by holgalee

I've heard nothing but good things about Ling's pouches and wraps =)

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

I have become wary of looking at Nan's photo albums with the pictures of the pen wraps and pouches. Looking at Ling's creations makes me want to "collect" them, haha. :)

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

I received two custom wraps from Nan and Ling today. Absolutely beautiful work, and Nan is a joy to work with. Very highly recommended, and as others have said, very quick and eager to accommodate.

Ditto to Mr Ink's comments! I've bought several pouches from Nan and always her service has been impeccable--I wish a certain other pouch maker would take a lesson or two from her regarding service and forthrightness.