rOtring core

Shinma

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/rotring_logo_2542.gif

Early this morning, as my Classical Greek professor (hence the handwritten passage from Homer in Greek) tentatively crept into the classroom, I noticed a look on her face – she had something on her mind, of that much I was certain. As my professor made her way towards the desk at the head of the room, I noticed she was holding a fairly worn box. Moments later, she informed me that she would like to give me a fountain pen of hers which has not seen the use it deserved over the past couple of years. Out of the ragged box she revealed a dusty rotring Core and soon laid the pen on my desk. I have spent a good portion of this day writing pages of notes, filling it with different inks, testing the filling mechanisms and studying the pen as a whole. This review entails what I have learned about my new Core.

First Impression (6/10) – Intrigued but not much drooling

My first impression of the rotring Core involved me glaring at a stock image of the pen on eBay wondering if the cap alone was heavier than the pen itself (I was in for a pleasant surprise!). As a full-time student, I take my pens with me everywhere; I needed something which could stand the test of time. For this reason, the Core intrigued me with its rugged “I can take on the world” aura.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10203edit.jpg

Design and Features (7/10) – A pen with lots of attitude but little foresight (see: ink window)

MYU’s description of the rotring Core in his thorough review of his own set was on the right track with his Star Trek reference. I’m not sure it’s the pen of just the Klingon race – the rotring Core (at least its darker models) is the archetypal pen of all bad guys/evil geniuses/overall badasses! The Core is the fountain pen for writing utensil rebels!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10187edit.jpg

It features an extremely rugged cap (which indeed, to my pleasant surprise, certainly feels heavier than the rest of the pen) complete with a firm industrial grade clip. If the Core’s nib was the Trojan citizenry, the cap would be the near-impenetrable Trojan wall!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10191edit.jpg

The Core includes an ink window. The downside to this otherwise nifty feature is that when using a short cartridge or the cartridge converter, the ink window doesn’t really allow you to see your ink level; rather, it displays an empty barrel or the tail end of the C/C. When using the cartridge or C/C, it’s necessary to screw off the barrel to take a peak.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10189edit.jpg

Construction and Quality (10/10) – Andre the Giant performing a choke slam wouldn’t phase this bad boy!

I think it’s an utterly indestructible pen. If there was a nuclear explosion which wiped out all forms of life and matter as we knew it, two things would continue existing: roaches and every rotring Core ever made.

The aforementioned rugged cap is a solid clip-on which additionally clips securely onto the barrel for a firm (relatively top-heavy) post. Aside from the silly phrases printed over the barrel, the Core, in my views is an extremely solidly-built, attractive - albeit bulky – pen.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10188edit.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10190edit.jpg

Filling Mechanism (9/10) – “Flow baby flow – rotring Inferno!”

The Core utilizes either individual cartridges or a C/C. Both systems work flawlessly in terms of ink flow, but the reduction of a point from the rating is due to my particular C/C which, for some unknown reason, is unusually stiff. Filling my pen requires a bit of elbow grease. I’m sure I could apply some lubrication of some sort to the converter mechanism, but for now it’s not a necessity. Good system overall!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10193edit.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10194edit.jpg

Nib and Performance (9/10) – A quirk that works!

The nib, along with the rest of the pen, is another quirk; I’ve never seen anything quite like it. It’s fully functional and works just fine (actually it works very well) but I wouldn’t be surprised if thoughts of “Let’s make this nib look ‘hip’!” crossed the minds of rotring designers as they developed this nib. With its “dimpled” appearance, “XS” or “XL” classifications and very unique grip section, the Core would no doubt be nominated for a “Most Uncommon Nib Section” award! Some fountain pen users have been completely turned off from this pen based on just the grip section. I find it quite comfortable and natural to hold. This may just be me though. Concerning the nib performance itself – my “XL” (what seems to be a B size) outperformed my expectations! The flow of this nib is top-notch; it just flows and flows… The subtle line variation of the XL nib is also a plus. So far, I’ve tested the Core with the included cartridge and the included C/C loaded with Noodler’s Bulletproof Black. Both inks simply had one burning desire with this pen: to get the heck outta there! It’s a satisfyingly wet writer and my is it smoooth!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10195edit.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10197edit.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10201edit.jpg

Maintenance (10/10) – This pen practically maintains itself

I rated the Core’s maintenance a 10/10 because it simply behaves! This morning, I popped in a cartridge – it wrote on first contact with paper. Later in the afternoon, I removed the cartridge, flushed the feed and section, inserted the C/C and filled it up with ink. The result? Again – complete flow! Heraclitus would be proud (see: “Everything flows, nothing stays still”). A very low-maintenance pen indeed.

Cost and Value (10/10) – Though it was free, I would have paid the $20!

These days, the rotring Core is priced upwards up twenty bucks. Even if I had spent the cash on it (my professor gifted it to me) I would still rate the value a 10/10! This is a very sturdy pen – well worth the money.

Summary (61/70)

Final thoughts? I’m really diggin’ my rotring Core – a well-built, unique, smooth writing pen which I’m confident will outlast me in the event of any caliber man-made (or natural) catastrophe.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/989989/SDC10199edit.jpg

End note: Though I mentioned this in the introduction, I would like to make it clear: I received my rotring Core just this morning. In other words – I have only experienced hardly a full day’s use out of it. This being said, I have not had the necessary experience to comment on the Core’s long-term qualities. Although I have used this pen quite a bit today, the above review could possibly require an update over the next few months. I have thus far really enjoyed my new pen and I was in a reviewing mood this evening and wanted to share my thoughts, as pre-mature as they are! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to read through my very first review!

Comments/feedback highly appreciated.

-Daniel

"Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει." ~Ἡράκλειτος

"No one should be embarrassed to make the inquiries necessary to learn." ~Anon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shinma

• RitaCarbon

• Phormula

• Shyner

Thanks for the in depth review! That thing looks like you could win a bar fight with it. Mightier than the sword indeed...

At a rough guess, I calculated we had completed half of our galactic revolution: I had only to be patient, the second half always seemed to go by more quickly.

Great review! I have my Rotring Core in Techno color. Amazing pen! Looks like a sneaker and grabs a lot of attention from bystanders.

You are lucky to get such a wonderful gift from your professor.

Congratulations!

My first fountain pen purchase. An odd pen that I use when I'm out in jeans and a t-shirt, going to the lumber yard etc. A good sketch pen and all around knock about. Virtually indestructible. Excellent and in my mind accurate review.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the in depth review! That thing looks like you could win a bar fight with it. Mightier than the sword indeed...

Thanks for your complement! :)

Indeed, if I was caught in a bar fight and a grizzly bearded man armed with muscles and an aluminum baseball bat charged at me, I'd feel safe and secure knowing I have my Rotring Core at easy access in my pocket. :blush:

-Daniel

Great review! I have my Rotring Core in Techno color. Amazing pen! Looks like a sneaker and grabs a lot of attention from bystanders.

You are lucky to get such a wonderful gift from your professor.

Congratulations!

Thanks Rita! Yes I still feel very grateful for receiving this pen from my professor! It adds that much more meaning to writing with it knowing my favorite teacher gave it to me :D

-Daniel

My first fountain pen purchase. An odd pen that I use when I'm out in jeans and a t-shirt, going to the lumber yard etc. A good sketch pen and all around knock about. Virtually indestructible. Excellent and in my mind accurate review.

PMS

So true! I honestly wouldn't think twice if this pen were to plummet from the second (or even third) floor of a building onto pavement. Especially with that industrial cap - this pen will live to see another day! :thumbup:

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Shinma

-Daniel

Excellent review, thanks.

Glad you enjoyed my review Ed!

-Daniel

Thanks for the thorough review, Shinma. You did the pen some good justice. :thumbup: I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the pen overall. The more commonly found models (color schemes) are a major bargain, some had as low as $9.99 from a couple of pen sources (since I saw last). Other models fetch a higher price, like the Coridium you have. Maybe it's because the theme is black? A popular color these days. ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Great review. The design is unusual especially in the grip area. Seems like it would be very comfortable to write with.

An odd pen it is, yet your thoughts are (at least in my experience) correct: It's a delightful write; very comfortable grip section to hold and the XL nib I have is a smooth one!

-Daniel

An aptly named pen, kinda like Bill the Cat in looks.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

Beware of the airport security though, they might decide that it's a dangerous weapon. Mightier than a sword indeed!

I carry it in my purse, in case someone decides to attack me. Nobody dares.

How do they know I am armed?hmm1.gif

Oh, I know... doh.gif Because I am CONFIDENT!

great review! other than the uncomfortable grip (as you pointed out that some might have issues with it) i love it! my XL nib is awesome!

thanx again for the review and congrats!

Edited by lovemy51

Thanks for the thorough review, Shinma. You did the pen some good justice. :thumbup: I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the pen overall. The more commonly found models (color schemes) are a major bargain, some had as low as $9.99 from a couple of pen sources (since I saw last). Other models fetch a higher price, like the Coridium you have. Maybe it's because the theme is black? A popular color these days. ;)

Thanks MYU :)

And you're most likely correct; the Coridium model with its sinister features probably demands slightly more infamy than the other fluffier schemes. :cloud9:

-Daniel

Very nice review!!! :clap1: I would like to have one in the future,but I am just a little bit afraid of the grip section,I might take the risk and get it in the future :rolleyes:

CPSC

No getting around it, the Core is a triumph of function over form. They are downright ugly.

I bought three of these when they were closing out after production stopped several years ago and they are all flawless in their fountain pen-ness. After a couple of years I finally took the last one out of the box, one of the last of the Technors, and inked it up with some Noodlers Heart of Darkness.

They are comfortable. Some may have to accommodate they hold more than others. I would think few people could not adapt to the hold at all.

The secondary cap seal extremely well. Mine just do not dry out.

They take the International style cartridge and insulate the ink well. With an XS nib, and a long international cartridge, they just seem to write on and on.

On all three of mine the nibs are very smooth, including the XS.

That quarter turn, lift up the cartridge, ink reserve feature works as advertised. Although since I usually use two shorts the value is nil.

They are the sturdiest "school pen" I have ever seen. (They were designed as a school pen. Rotring management thought the design was just what European school children of the time wanted. Go figure.)

If one wants a heavy pen they can post. If they want a light pen they can write unposted.

If a pen was to be a spare tire, or emergency survival kit, it would be a Rotring Core.

YMMV

Beware of the airport security though, they might decide that it's a dangerous weapon. Mightier than a sword indeed!

I carry it in my purse, in case someone decides to attack me. Nobody dares.

How do they know I am armed?hmm1.gif

Oh, I know... doh.gif Because I am CONFIDENT!

Walking around with a Rotring Core sticking out of your pocket is like shouting to the world, "Don't even think of messing with me!" B)

-Daniel