Diamine's Registrar's Ink

dandelion

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S3Hf-AiBD4I/AAAAAAAAPaI/gqKHvrHd0WQ/s800/DSC07168_0193.JPG

You find the complete review with more photos on my blog here.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• dandelion

• Alexandra

• bluemagister

If I remember correctly, this ink can be bad for pens if it's left in for a long time, right? Because this ink is really gorgeous...and I LOVE the sturdiness of the ink against water and solvents.

I have been using this ink in a vintage Waterman W5 for over a year now. Sometimes the pen has been left with ink in for two weeks or more, unused. In all that time, I have only washed it out thoroughly once and that was a couple of months ago when indeed my sloppiness had led to poor ink flow. There is no damage or corrosion whatsoever to the insides of this pen or to the nib and if I had taken the trouble to flush it more frequently (say every couple of months) I am sure my clog-up could have been avoided. The feed had some deposits on it that washed off when I took the time to do so and all was OK afterwards.

So, it is ink not aqua regia - use it happily and flush now and then to stop clogging sometimes. It is good stuff.

Cheers,

Chris

I have been using this ink in a vintage Waterman W5 for over a year now. Sometimes the pen has been left with ink in for two weeks or more, unused. In all that time, I have only washed it out thoroughly once and that was a couple of months ago when indeed my sloppiness had led to poor ink flow. There is no damage or corrosion whatsoever to the insides of this pen or to the nib and if I had taken the trouble to flush it more frequently (say every couple of months) I am sure my clog-up could have been avoided. The feed had some deposits on it that washed off when I took the time to do so and all was OK afterwards.

So, it is ink not aqua regia - use it happily and flush now and then to stop clogging sometimes. It is good stuff.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for sharing this long time experience!

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Is there a problem using it with steel nibs?

I don't know the answer to that. If the nib is (modern) stainless steel I expect all would be fine but if non-stainless I expect there might be more of a possible rust/corrosion problem, but steel rusts with water anyway and ink is water-based so...?

I have seen this ink used in Registrars' premises in the UK and the pens were pretty basic (Parker) fountain pens with steel nibs to be used by the public when filling out the register in person. I don't supose those pens were treated with any tender loving care, but perhpas they were simply replaced when they stopped functioning.

Chris

Nice! The color reminds me of Montblanc blue/black... I wonder if I can get similar results in my talentum :P

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I've been using the ink non stop since I found works best in a wet vintage pen. It turns from a nice blue to very dark BB or black if the pen is wet, or stays a nice BB if coming out of dryer modern nibs. Writes on any paper, it never feathers, as you say is a great ink. Thanks for the review, very nice!

• 6 months later...

Does Registrar's Blue turn black over time?

Yes. If your pen is relatively wet, you will get a nice deep black, if it is a dryish pen, it will turn grey instead.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Yes. If your pen is relatively wet, you will get a nice deep black, if it is a dryish pen, it will turn grey instead.

Thank you.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

intriguing! don't know if i want it then... or maybe yes... :hmm1:

I have remarked before that on some papers the colour change does not seem to happen. Under those circumstances, I have found the ink will wash off the paper. So, before counting on the long-life propoerties of this ink do check the oxidation is taking place. The paper causing a problem was some very old stuff I found that was probably older than me to judge by the brown edges of the pages!

Chris