Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher.

Inka

I like the darker blues of this Bad Belted Kingfisher, more of a subdued blue than that of Bad Blue Heron by comparison on another page...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/NoodlersBadBeltedKingfisherReview.jpg

Oddly, it didn't hold up to my Wash Test as well as I'd expected.

I thought this and other inks in the Game Warden series were supposed to be fraud-resistant permanent.

While ink still remained, is still perfectly legible, lots of it did wash from paper during testing.

Pure Clorox swabbing turned it into a grayish color, not what I was counting on from this ink...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/BadBeltedKingfisherWashTest.jpg

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• dizzypen

• Crim

• pyrilium

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Inka.

You know, I don't understand this ink. I don't understand why Nathan made it so that it is so affected by tampering. The Clorox test is especially perplexing. I wonder why it acts this way when BB Heron performs much better. Presumably they are of a similar/same formula...

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Thanks Inka.

...The Clorox test is especially perplexing....

You're welcome, my pleasure.

Agreed, I was also trying to figure out why the darker of the 2 Warden Series blues is the one that is the more fragile.

It seems the darker ink would have been harder to wash out with bleach, yet it leaves behind a gray that looks much like a wide pencil mark.

Bad Blue Heron being far more durable under the bleach swabbing seems contrary to the inks I have in the turquoise range, BBH definitely looks to have some Arizona Blue Turquoise to it.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Though, isn't it a beneficial thing if you can tell if something's been tampered with, and yet can't be changed?

Yes, to some degree.

I've been giving this a lot of thought since writing my review and doing my wash-test.

What I've concluded, and obviously I can't speak for the inventor of this ink, is that tampering is clearly evident despite the color being nearly washed out with pure Clorox.

Even though the remaining ink is no longer the same color, it's still very legible despite being a faded gray, thus it is evident that bleach was used in this case to try removing or "washing" the ink from paper.

It's this "change" that makes tampering very evident in this case, and while it would be nice had the color remained it surely wouldn't have shown tampering had it remained exactly the same.

Thinking of it this way, I'd say that Bad Belted Kingfisher has lived up to the Warden Series claim of being"... a type of ink that defeats two powerful spectrums of energy used by forgers...This series aims to hinder this new threat".

I do, however, find it doesn't quite live up tot he statement made of being "combining all the durability of our "bulletproof" designation against the forces of UV light, industrial solvents, detergents, etc....", but they do go on to state "includes additional features made to foil the future possibility that forgers might discover certain additional new technologies and use them to ill ends.".

To that last statement, or just 2 words from it being "additional features", I'd have to conclude Mission Accomplished, as it certainly does have the feature of changing when bleached and yet doesn't come completely out of the paper once dried, just as it's advertised to do!

Inka, that definitely makes sense. Still I wonder how that faded gray might stand up to be photocopied...

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• 1 month later...

I remember reading somewhere on Noodler's website that their bulletproof and similar inks are permanent once given sufficient time to not just dry, but also to properly react with the cellulose fibers in the paper. I can't find it quickly/offhand, but I seem to recall the timescale being more like hours. Maybe this ink would react better to washing after a longer fixation period? I don't have any on-hand to test, though I'm tempted to try some based on the color and overall performance.

This ink bears a striking resemblance (identical I'd say) to the PR Sonic Blue I just got, and am not enjoying.

B

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Pure Clorox swabbing turned it into a grayish color, not what I was counting on from this ink...

I did a similiar test with BBH, I had the same concerns at you, see ANSWER 11 In this Post

It may answer your concerns....

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg