Levenger Shiraz

lapis

As mentioned in the sub-title of this topic, I find the colour of this ink hard to describe in a word or two. So here goes: it's a dark red! There are so many reds, even dark reds. Now don't hold it against me, I am not trying to find the perfect copy/likeness (of another brand), I'm just trying to compare things.

So, lemmee see. I wrote a line with each of the dark reds I have. There was no sense in comparing all reds, as e.g. Skrip's new Red, Pelikan Red, De Atramentis' Erdbeertinte and Noodler's Fox Red are all too bright a red. I was in the hope that I might find something similar to the red ink in question. Then I could tell you, "Hey, it's almost just like X". E.g. among blacks, I find Perle Noir and Aurora very similar, easy to describe. As regards Legenger Shiraz, please see the scan of compared inks below.

First the Ink Review Form, then the comparison.

Shiraz Form

Now the comparison.

Shiraz Comparison

These lines were all written with a 1/2 mm wide dip pen, all on 100 g/m2 paper of the brand Avery.

When I first used this ink (today), the first thing I thought of was Tiananmen, but the latter has more of a touch of brown than blue. Larmes de Cassis and Parfumée Rose are also pretty close, the first is less red, the second is more reddish, and both are more watery/unsaturated and at the same time less illuminating or vibrant. Also less wet. I just love wetness!

In regard to scanners and monitors, I see it like this: The colour on my screen looks a bit more bluish and at the same time less intense, also a bit out of focus.

All in all, a very subtile dark red with a touch of blue and a half a touch of pink. Almost blood-like but still illuminating, almost fluorescent. No browns or yellows (I think). Being more red than blue, it would represent (in my terms) more a violet than a purple. Sometimes it's easier to say -- instead of what a thing is like -- what it is not like. This ink is not as light as a "real" violet, yet darker and less bluish than a lilac or a lavender. Very wet, very saturated, practically no bleeding or staining. The stuff comes in a very beautiful and very practical bottle, even the box is nice. What more could you ask for?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• JMX

• RitaCarbon

• dandelion

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On my screen it looks like R&K Fernambuk. Great review! Thanks!

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

dp 

Edited by JMX

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

Great review, Lapis!

I love the comparison page. It's like 15 reviews for the price of one.

Thank you for posting.

Rita

Thanks for a great review - I particularly like the comparisons. As a Shiraz lover I had expected a darker, deeper, full bodied wine red - just like the Shiraz. A pleasant red, nevertheless, but more like a young Chianti - light with more acidity - than a Shiraz.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Dandelion, if you have both, how would it compare to Herbin's scented Rouge?. They look very similar on the screen to me. Nice review and great comparison, Lapis, thank you.