Eccolo Journal Review

Intro: I have learned so much from this website; it is now time for me to give back (my first post).

Eccolo Writing Journal Review

post-37765-126433927898_thumb.jpg

post-37765-12643391632_thumb.jpg

{The bottom photo is more representative of the color, the top photo is easier to read.}

Name: Eccolo Writing Journal – World Traveler

Paper: thickness and feel promising at first look. Creamy white lined paper

Lined: Yes, 9/32” (1/4” +) spacing (7 mm)

Size: 5 ¾” w x 8 ½” tall x 1” thick (14.7 x 21.5 x 2.5 cm)

Cost: 29 USD

Place of Purchase: Rustin’s Dept Store, Ayala Mall, Makati, Metro Manila

Website: www.eccololtd.com (at the time of writing this I still haven’t looked at the website)

Description:

Padded leather hard cover (fancy), buttery soft, cream (off white) lined pages. A beautiful journal. Available in other colors and cover themes. Superb quality.

post-37765-126433984955_thumb.jpg

Ink Test:

There is ‘see-through’ on the back side of the page, but manageable for writing and reading both sides. Actual ink staining on the backside is only with my Sailor Togi nib which really unloads the ink. The ‘see-through’ is minimal with the Sailor Nano inks and more noticeable with other inks. There is minimal feathering, if any, except the Togi nib.

post-37765-126433991164_thumb.jpg

post-37765-12643399492_thumb.jpg

post-37765-126433997118_thumb.jpg

post-37765-12643399912_thumb.jpg

Comments:

A beautiful journal, very well made. The line spacing is a bit small for me, with the size of this journal about perfect in my books. (Unlined paper was available where I picked it up but I chose this one.) The cost is a bit high, however, paying for quality only hurts once. (I am over the pain now.) As a result of the luxurious cover and high price this would be a journal that I would use for very special writing.

As you can probably guess…writing on the backside of a page in a journal is important to me. I could live with the amount of ‘see-through’ that this journal exhibits, but for the price I would have thought this paper should be bullet proof for fountain pen inks.

I really like this journal for the superb quality and luxurious looks, as well as the fact that I have not been able to find a ‘fancier’ journal in this part of the world (Malaysia or Philippines). (It’s too bad I don’t get to Singapore often, as there is more of everything there.)

Would I recommend this as a must buy to others?…probably not…because I know of better value journals for everyday use that have minimal ‘see-through’ for most ink and pen combinations. Would I recommend this for a once a week/month journal that will be passed down the family tree….yes!

post-37765-126434089577_thumb.jpg

If I took over this company I would improve to paper for zero ‘see-through’ (only a small upgrade needed) and increase the line spacing to 3/8” (9 mm) and advertise this journal as one of the best ‘high end’ journals on the market.

A Fine Pen, a fine watch and new shoes to "boot"...ahhhh

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J.R.

• lourdesgirl101

• Timeline

• WirsPlm

• 3 years later...

Hmm. I see them on Amazon and they're cheap compared to, say, Exacompta or Quo Vadis. Too much ghosting for my taste. The journal itself looks very gorgeous.

Edited by lourdesgirl101

I had a similar experience with another Eccolo journal I tried. Nice, sturdy, but the showthrough was too much for me to like it, even just using gel pens.

After reading your review I ordered one to give it a try. I bought it on Amazon, the price of S&H was actually more than the journal, total price $9.49.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png

I can echo that recommendation. Last week I "literally" stumbled into Office Depot, and they had a few selected Eccolo World Traveler on sale. ( I think the sale ended this weekend, alas). I picked up two 5" x 7 1/2", with the faux leather flexi covers, being completely ignorant of the Eccolo brand, before this. On the Eccolo website, the journal I bought is listed as the D421B, and they were on sale for $4.39. I only bought two, because of my inexperience, but I've been writing all weekend in one, using a 'M' nib Laban, with a home-brewed mix of Quink Washable Blue & Noodler's HOD. Zero bleedthru, and the lines that did "ghost" were insignificant.

Since Off.Depot is a 4-hour drive for me, I couldn't justify another trip, just to buy more. But if someone finds that they are still on sale, I highly recommend them. I haven't done a page-count, but a guess would be 80 sheets/160 ppg.

Take Care,

J.R.

• 3 months later...

I am currently using one and just like JR I also echo the recomendation.

Even using my wettest pen, Parker 45 with Heart of Darkness I have some ghosting but not bleedthru.

I got mines at Stapples, every now and then they will be on saleThe best price I found was in the clearance rack in a Marshall's, that one had some bent markings on the back cover but I only paid ~$5.