M800 in brown tortoise?

Mindstorm

I have a M400 in brown tortoise, the modern special edition one. I really like the color combination as it's so classy and "vintage". Just bought a M800 in blue, that pen is also a great looking pen, but I'm dreaming of it in the brown color scheme... judge my surprise as I've learned that the M800 was made in brown for the spanish market! Have any one seen it? I can't find any pictures or info...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Propas

• moabit

• Mindstorm

• martini

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry, you are in the right place... :)

Here's what Rick says about the spanish story...

The Spanish story is cute and amusing, but makes no sense.

The real story is much more prosaic.

They made them in 1987, when the M800 was first introduced. They did not sell well. They have not made any more because of that.

If you can believe it, my Pelikan sources tell me that they were closed out at the Pelikan factory for 300DM! Ain't that a killer.

In good shape a set, and that's what they came as, can fetch upwards of $2000.00.

And here's a fine specimen found by our member jpr this year:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=131936

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Thank you for the information, a very beautiful pen but a somewhat depressing read as I must conclude I'll never get to own a brown tortoise M800 :crybaby:

Had my hands on a Tortoise 800 at a pen club meeting once.... almost made it out the door with it! Who knew an old retired lawyer could run that fast!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

:roflmho: Perry!

Do you remember the asking price, I haven't seen any for sale. Would be interesting to know if it's a pen to aspire to or if I should try and depress my feeling of need...

:roflmho: Perry!

Do you remember the asking price, I haven't seen any for sale. Would be interesting to know if it's a pen to aspire to or if I should try and depress my feeling of need...

I have one of these - it is one of my most treasured pens (and a great writer - I've got a sweet ~0.5 CI nib on it, and it's currently filled with Herbin's Ambre de Birmanie). I had mine sourced for me by Rick Propas, after giving him a deposit. I got really fortunate in that it happened pretty quickly (a few months) - I understand it can take years to find one (if ever), and I thought I wouldn't have one for a long time - I was just getting in line, so to speak. Let's just say it wasn't cheap. :embarrassed_smile: I have never seen one for sale on the open market (though I think someone had seen one on eBay at some point).

You may want to contact Rick - he can answer your questions, I'm thinking.

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

$1500 is what I heard as a price. The same guy had a Blue Ocean which goes for about $1500 also! Fantastic looking 800's!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

$1500 is what I heard as a price. The same guy had a Blue Ocean which goes for about $1500 also! Fantastic looking 800's!!

I'll buy 3 at that price if condition is excellent.

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!

I wish I could have gotten one for anything close to $1500...

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I wish I could get them at that price. I've been pretty lucky in finding these pens, but they rarely are cheap.

My personal set, fountain pen, ballpoint and extremely uncommon pencil cost me northwards of $4000.00

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/PBIntheBox.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/PBM800s.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/PBTort.jpg

Are all the tortoises - M800, K800 & D800 engraved "made in W. Germany", Rick?

Thanks for sharing us the photos.. I can only dream on.. :blush:

I wish I could get them at that price. I've been pretty lucky in finding these pens, but they rarely are cheap.

My personal set, fountain pen, ballpoint and extremely uncommon pencil cost me northwards of $4000.00

:puddle: oooh, that's a beautiful set of pens you have there! I wish I could have a similar set one day, but $4000 + for a pen is waaay more than what I'd consider reasonable for a pen to use every day :wacko: So, I guess I'll have to beat that pen out of my system :bonk:

I can only hope that Pelikan produces a design that's similar in the future... :blush:

Edited by Mindstorm

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/PBIntheBox.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/PBM800s.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/PBTort.jpg

Tease us with those photos Rick. The Tortoise M800 is THE holy grail pen on my list and to date I have only seen them in pictures.

I hope one day Pelikan decides to revive the colour even for another limited production run.

Edited by Bill Smith

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

To answer Daeng's question, yes, of course, all are marked W. Germany. Interestingly, the pencil, alone of the three pieces, has the original series cap logo. There are at least two, possibly three, "old style" cap medallions.

• 2 years later...

Today I'm the luckiest man in town! :happyberet:

I've never thought, that I can get this set into my collection of 800s and I've also never thought, that I would find it on ebay (Thank you so much my friend from Seoul for your advice) and that nobody without me will bid. So here it is, have a look.

Best regards from Germany, the home of these birds

post-74595-0-63776000-1337971062.jpg

post-74595-0-42544100-1337971089.jpg

post-74595-0-94731700-1337971109.jpg

Wow! congratulations! They do look great! What is written under the Pelikan logo on the box? Harmony and precision? I do not speak German, but is that German? My uneducated guess makes me think it is not.

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

I got more than 1 M800 tortoise, none was at the price. Gotta go get refund from my sellers. :hmm1: